From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Are these points a worthless scam?

Message 1 of 24

Hi,

If you look at the merchandise section (ignoring the fact the list price is way, way too high),

one would think "a point is worth a penny" ... not uncommon for many reward programs.

But... for things that have fair value, you'll see that a point is worth about 1/10th of a cent, as you mention. 

(Proof: go to "auctions" and you'll see items with hard/accurate values (e.g., $10 

gift card), and you can calculate the values from them.  (It's harder to do with things

like "$300 value" for Delta Airlines...unless it's a straight credit, it could be $300 off an

inflated price).

A potential decent value is tomorrow's $5 Best Buy Gift Card ... check:

https://rewards.aarp.org/#/dailydeals?_k=0437ot

at exactly 3PM EDT (noon PDT) (500 points plus *no* money)

Today's deal (whatever that was) is already sold out ...

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that a mere handful of the cards were/are available Smiley Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 24

@mbacon1952 

Agreed completely, only (2) $5 cards in 4 years, and one cost over 267 thousand points.  If points equal .01 it cost around $26.70.  So so😢 😢.  

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 24

Oh, and the deadline to use your existing points is Sep 23 ... 6 days away (unclear if it's the

start of 9/23, or the end of 9/23).

I'll be checking out the "free" things, meaning the discount coupons that AARP/RfG is offering ...  most seem the same as I get free in the mail, though.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 24

Note that the new program involves complete loss of existing points:

"Rewards for Good points do not roll over to the new AARP Rewards program."

Don't know why, since the points couldn't have cost AARP anything Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 24

Hello @mbacon1952 ,

Congratulations on your $15 Sweeps win, at least you won something.  I know your disappointment, and I'm not happy myself.  Other than information gained from using calculators and taking quizzes it's been an experience I'd rather wipe from my mind completely.  Out of my years as an AARP & R4G member the total value of wins equal $10Smiley Sad

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 24

Throughout this year, I used almost all of my points (28K +) on these sweepstakes and only won 1 for $15 to a rental car place that I never used...it has been a bummer!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 24

@AARPTeri wrote:

@nctarheel @mi4090 

We will not be using the same primary platform vendor for the new program. AARP Rewards will be a multi-faceted program that will have several parties supporting different aspects of the program. 

@AARPTeri,

Does that mean you will still use outside vendors and, if so, in the spirit of transparency, will AARP be divulging who those vendors are, since our membership fees do pay for their use????

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 24

@nctarheel @mi4090 

We will not be using the same primary platform vendor for the new program. AARP Rewards will be a multi-faceted program that will have several parties supporting different aspects of the program. 

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 24

@nctarheel wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@AARPTeri wrote:

@ssieler , @mi4090 , @nctarheel , @easyed598 

AARP has always been transparent regarding this per our terms of service for the program.

I do have one question, @AARPTeri .

AARP always had a THIRD PARTY VENDOR operating the coupon "book" section of THE REWARDS FOR GOOD PROGRAM (ie. the restaurant coupons and such).

Will AARP continue to use that same THIRD PARTY VENDOR with its new program?

@AARPTeri, it has been several days since I posed the above question.

Several others postulated I wouldn't get a response and it seems they are right.

Will the same THIRD PARTY VENDOR be involved with the new AARP REWARDS?????

@AARPTeri,

It is a week later and still no response from you about the third party vendor that operated the COUPON SECTION of the old REWARDS FOR GOOD program. Will the same vendor be involved in the NEW PROGRAM?????

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 24

Hello @nctarheel ,

I asked the same question immediately upon notification that R4G was ending and have yet to get an answerSmiley Sad  I'm assuming that no answer means YES and we'll have the same problems as before.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views