Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are these points a worthless scam?

Message 21 of 24

Hello @nctarheel ,

I totally agree with your statement and have posted numerous times that AARP is doing to us what they write so many articles about "SCAM" .  Administration responded to say that they don't scam anyone.  The proof is in the pudding and we're being SCAMMED and robbed.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 24

@ssieler wrote:

I checked the "catalog", under both electronics and kitchen items.

Many things are sold as a bundle of two items ... perhaps an effort o confuse seniors about whether or not the price is fair.

One kitchen pair was a Cuisinart coffee maker (12 cup), plus a Cuisinart coffee grinder.

Stated retail: $240 

AARP price (after 10,700 points .. or $107 worth of points): $133.

Amazon price: $103

I checked a few other items, and saw similar ratios of overpriced "value" to actual Amazon prices.

THIS IS WRONG!

The price *BEFORE* points should reflect what a reasonably competent customer would pay,

and the price AFTER points should indeed be a bargain.

Hope this isn't old territory on this forum.

Stan

I have stated that this REWARDS FOR GOOD program is, at best, a sham, if not a scam.

As far as coupons for restaurants, there are a plethora of fast food restaurants. You can get coupons for these restaurants almost anywhere WITHOUT spending points from this ridiculous program.

Other restaurants, when presented with these coupons, did not honor them.

Other restaurants, which the program says are local are as many as 120 miles away.

My favorite story is about a golf course that appeared on the Rewards For Good Program near my home. It was for a buy one, get one greens fee.

THE ONLY PROBLEM WAS THAT THE GOLF COURSE HAD BEEN CLOSED FOR A YEAR, THE COURSE ITSELF WAS MADE UP OF JUST OVERGROWN VEGETATION AND WEEDS, THE COURSE ENTRANCE WAS FENCED AND PADLOCKED BECAUSE THE OWNERS OF THE COURSE HAD BEEN INVOLVED IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES.

This program is ridiculous. If you go back far enough in their archives, you will find my complaints as well as many others.

@ssieler, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD HERE!!!!

AARP should face legal action for this program, it is a farce.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 24

Not only is Amazon price cheaper but if you have a Amazon Visa card you can accumulate points and use them to buy Amazon bargains on almost everything.Points accumulate on 1% to 5% of what you purchase.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are these points a worthless scam?

Message 24 of 24

I checked the "catalog", under both electronics and kitchen items.

Many things are sold as a bundle of two items ... perhaps an effort o confuse seniors about whether or not the price is fair.

One kitchen pair was a Cuisinart coffee maker (12 cup), plus a Cuisinart coffee grinder.

Stated retail: $240 

AARP price (after 10,700 points .. or $107 worth of points): $133.

Amazon price: $103

I checked a few other items, and saw similar ratios of overpriced "value" to actual Amazon prices.

THIS IS WRONG!

The price *BEFORE* points should reflect what a reasonably competent customer would pay,

and the price AFTER points should indeed be a bargain.

Hope this isn't old territory on this forum.

Stan

Kudos
Views
Replies