Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AUCTIONS RULES BROKEN

Message 11 of 28

@andrewtoo @mi4090 

Andrew & Marylin 

Seriously I doubt it'll bring a response I've watched winners list closely last while there are many who are winning 4-5 at time very sad 

NOW REST OF US HAVE 1 SWEEPSTAKES TO ENTER 

YES I'M SCREAMING IT'S UNREAL STINKS BOO HOO 

GINGER  ;  ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

@AARPTeri 

Thanks for responding and the explanation of how Tier level works, but it would nice to know how many levels there areSmiley Sad

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

@dw6574 

Hello Dale,

Thanks for posting at what point level you see the lower auctionsSmiley Happy

That was very helpful information.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

Thanks @AARPTeri ,

I get it; It's automated.  There are surely a number of ways to keep this from happening.  But, that requires hard choices.

Part of the problem is the tiered system.  If it didn't exist, then there would be fewer rare occurrences.

But, let's assume that AARP continues to ignore suggestions that the tiered system be abolished.  In that case, never allow a member to see lower ties, just because they have made a BID that reduces their point balance.  AARP has allowed the system to be misused because a BID reduces their points balance for tiering.  For the purpose of Tiering, BIDS should not allow members to see lower tiers.  If the member actually wins something on the bid, then, okay, their point balance has really changed and they can see lower tiers because of their lower balance.   Just because they have points bid (or bidded), don't change their tier.  And, volia, all of this may be automated.  Simple, huh?

I think Rewards for Good already knows this but the programing is too difficult or expensive.  It has been so much easier to ignore this issue.

Maybe AARP Rewards will not have this problem.

Kind regards,

AndrewToo
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

@AARPTeri 

Teri thanks for reply appreciate your attention to this inquiry.... though I still feel its unfair and not right... here's why

Don't think its all that & just a 1 time thing since I've noticed 5 different folks have won over 3 in August and won more than 3 again September boohoo ain't right .... Once over 3 been noticed by folks/company doing this & preparing to mail out to winners they should be stopped....present the winners with choice of 3 the ones left go to 2nd bidder this would be much better... from your explanation & Dale's person with million points could bid on 25 Auctions within same time frame & win them all long as they have points to pay and win Just blah... not good

@dw6574 

Yes it was you and more others Thanks for letting us know that once you win 3 or 5 or 7 or more then you can't put in anymore bids at least that possibly stops your winning 10 or 20 +times Thanks for info

Enjoy your prizes 

Ginger  :  ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28

@gm5271 , @andrewtoo , @dw6574  @mi4090 

The Auctions are automated and this user bid on many auctions before winning.  Most users will bid on multiple auctions and there are times when the system doesn’t recognize a winner before the next one is picked, this is how the user was able to win more than our pre-determined amount.  It is rare that this can occur but since they entered another before winning it is possible.

We are still running tiered Auctions and they are working as expected.  This refers to an auction that is not tiered and so all users have access to participate.  As a reminder, users will move through different tiers as they bid on Auctions and their points balances change. 

@dw6574  - What a great explanation you added to this thread - thank you!!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28

@dw6574 

Thank you for posting your experiance.  I suppose you got really lucky and I hope you are pleased with what you won.

AndrewToo
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28
Sorry, I don’t know what the tier levels are or how many there are. I only recall that auctions would appear or disappear as my points fluctuated. My points fluctuated because if I was outbid, then those points would be returned to me and then I wouldn’t see the lower tier auctions anymore. If I bid on a high tier auction and dropped my points to 15k or so, then I would see the lower tier auctions and could bid on those. I think the system works as designed for more “normal” times. However, the program is ending and now they are throwing out so many auctions that they probably never planned for this frenzy and thus people are winning more than 3 auctions in a month. Once I won 3 auctions, then I could no longer raise my existing bids and now I can no longer bid at all...
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

Hello @dw6574 

Dale, I bid on (1) Auction for a $5 card that almost wiped out all my points, and my so called "Tier Level" never changed.  I still see Auctions with bidding that is outrageously out of my point rangeSmiley Sad

Can you help me understand how this is happening?  I've asked Administration numerous times to post the Tier Levels, to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciatedSmiley Happy  Congratulations to you on knowing the secret!

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28
Hi, in Ginger’s message below, it should be Dale fromTX. Let me try to explain what happened in my case. Like many of you, I accumulated a lot of points over the years in order to bid on a laptop computer. With the RFG change, I tried to spend down the soon to expire points as much as possible but still had a lot of points last week. I decided to spend ALL OF THEM at once on auctions and bid on as many as I could last weekend. As I bid my way down to zero points, I did notice that my lower point total opened me up to auctions at lower tiers, so I naturally bid on these auctions as well. The system doesn’t limit you to only 3 auctions because it can’t assume you will always win those 3 auctions, so I was able to bid on more auctions and with some luck (or maybe it was the points), some of my bids were the highest and I ended up winning more than 3 in one month. There is no way to retract bids so I was locked in. By the way, once you win 3 auctions in a month, the system locks you out and will not accept ANY bids from you anymore. I can confirm that the system works in this regard and I can no longer bid on any auctions.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.