Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???/ Extended play

Message 31 of 61

@Cosmos2011 wrote:
Nah, you folks are missing the point. The point is inflation. I just witnessed an auction for a $50 gift card to fanatics.com go for over 2,200 points or the equivalent of $220 in AARP gift cards! Until AARP members use common sense when bidding AARP won't able to leverage sponsors for better discounts. Sponsors are watching us. It's like inflation. The devaluation of AARP discounts is inconceivable considering the amount of economic clout Baby Boomers have. Merchants should be killing each other to get at us because we have a higher net worth than any other age group. So please, show some restraint when bidding. Stop hitting the rebid button like a monkey on crack. 1,000 points in $10. Keep that in mind. Treat it like money.

Right on! What he/she said! Applause! +1 and yeah ba-bay!

Also, @Cosmos2011 thanks for making this point. Smiley Happy

It is true, and has been stated on these forums many times in many ways, that the AARP discounts have become disgustingly devalued.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???

Message 32 of 61

I wonder if the Ohio Attorney General's office is aware of these AARP bogus auctions?

What do you think, Mike DeWine? 

Chloe
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???/ Extended play

Message 33 of 61
Nah, you folks are missing the point. The point is inflation. I just witnessed an auction for a $50 gift card to fanatics.com go for over 2,200 points or the equivalent of $220 in AARP gift cards! Until AARP members use common sense when bidding AARP won't able to leverage sponsors for better discounts. Sponsors are watching us. It's like inflation. The devaluation of AARP discounts is inconceivable considering the amount of economic clout Baby Boomers have. Merchants should be killing each other to get at us because we have a higher net worth than any other age group. So please, show some restraint when bidding. Stop hitting the rebid button like a monkey on crack. 1,000 points in $10. Keep that in mind. Treat it like money.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 61

I want to know how two people can send in a bid at the same hour and second before the clock runs out. In other auctions the quicker persons bid will of course be ahead of the others, but considering ping time and such, no two people should be able to make the same bid at exactly the same time the faster bid should shut out the slower one especially when the buzzer is a second from going off.

And it also happens through the whole thing. My bid was the

19,060May. 14, 2016 6:29:59 PM EDT

The winner was

19,070 May. 14, 2016 6:29:59 PM EDT

Am i supposed to believe that it worked out  perfectly that the person pressed the button a microsecond after me and got in? This happens a lot as you watch the bids go up. Impossible.

How can someone else, in particular with so many people trying get it at exactly the same time and win? Like I said, ping, latency,  and people frantically pressing bid, this should slow things down,  this mathematically  cannot be. Something stinks here and I think we are owed an explanation.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 61
same here always says request to large and the problem is with the site - some one should fix it!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 61

I have not won yet but I keep trying 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 61

I was having the same thing, I contacted them and they told,e to use another browser, so I tried google and couldn't get through so I tried AOL and it worked

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 61
The same thing happens to me
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 61

AARP keeps sending me e-mail withpoints earned, but cannot bid on auctions.  How do I bid?  when I sign in te site for drivers safety course and other just appear Does AARP monitor these questions???

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 61

These auctions are NOT for real money. In order to win you have to be present at the auction as it ends. There is strategy and luck involved. Sorry, if you want to win one you will have to but in a little effort 

Kudos
Views