Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP AUCTIONS???

Message 11 of 61

It goes by max bid.  The current value is always one point higher than the 2nd highest max bid.

So if you put in 80k max bid, but next highest max bid is 60k, your bid is 60k+1.  if someone else then puts in a max bid of 65k, your bid would go to 65k+1.

Hope that makes more sense.. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 61

I have bid a few times and have noticed that the second I place a bid, I see a higher bid by one point registering at the same time.  I have experimented with this, bidding early and bidding late at it's always the same thing.  I've checked the bid history and it looks like the same thing happens again and again with my bids and other bids.  

Is there some program out there that let's you automatically bid one point higher on an auction when someone else bids?  It sure looks like it.20180915_102211.jpg20180915_102247.jpg20180915_102257.jpg20180915_102303.jpg20180915_102310.jpg

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 61

I only have 36,000 points which isn't enough for most auctions but I still am not seeing many of the auctions that go for a reduced amount.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 61

@jg34206387

Some auctions are available to all members, while other auctions are available to members within a certain points balance. We do this to provide more members the opportunity to participate in auctions. You will only see auctions you are eligible for on the Current Auctions page. If you see an auction you are interested in, be sure to add it to "My Auctions." This will ensure it is available to you even if your points balance changes.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 61

That makes sense, thanks for the insight.  I look at the closed auctions and keep seeing good things going for very few points:  today i saw a 32GB apple that went for fewer than 20,000 points, and $15 cards for 10,000 and less--right next to $5 and $15 cards going for 50,000 and even over 100,000 points!  I didn't make any sense.  I had wondered how i always seemed to miss the good ones, and why people would bid 10 times as much for a same priced card right next to another.  It makes sense if it's because they deliberately keep them from showing up if you have more than a certain number of points.  What a farce!  So unfair.  It's a shame.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 61

Yes, the more points you have the higher the items will become. I found this to be so true. My husbands account will show items ending in much lower points to win, I don't get the chance to win those gift cards. I was able to win but the first one cost 84,000 points. Then my points were lower I had a chance to win at much lower point redemptions.  I do wonder about some of the responses saying there is a glitch. That isn't the case. 

redhorses
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 61

Not the same auction for all accounts. The more points you have they seem to take away some lower auctions. Both my parents have $10 Panera gift cards showing but not enough points to bid.  I have enough points but it doesn't show under my auctions. The auctions are run by an outside source, at least the best I can figure. Can be pretty frustrating.  Something strange about the whole thing. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 61

I still see same auctions across two different accounts, but the site is clearly having issues - extremely slow to respond this evening.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 61

We are having the same problem at our house.  Something fishy about the whole thing.

redhorses
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 61

@jo1744 wrote:

@MY wife can see a 25$ dunkin donut card up in about 2 hrs @ 39,001 points, she does not have enough points. but i have more than enough to bid on the card , but it is not in the auctions i have. the same thing is happening to my mother inlaw and father inlaw. we use differant browsers so it is not that. tried to get help no one calls back. the good cards we aint seeing just the 5 & 10 $ cards. would like to have the 25$ dunkin donut card but dont think this is going to be fixed any time soon. this is far from being fair. and dont you think it is strange no one is bidding up the card when way cheaper cards are going for more? seems like someones friend is getting the good cards.

I had that same problem for a while - then they finally fixed it.   I believe they service multiple rewards programs - not just AARP, so something gets messed up in their system and shows ones we can't even bid for.   During that time i couldn't even bid on some of the items.  Was frustrating.  But I have not seen the issue this time.

Kudos
Views