Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips from AARPTeri - Fitness Tracker

If you aren’t used to the idea of devices that share information, that can all seem a bit intimidating to you. I assure you that it’s not, and it isn’t even that hard. Each of the fitness tracker devices that do more than track only steps offers a way to “sync up” the information from your wrist to your profile in their proprietary software.

For instance, the Apple Watch feeds into the Apple Health app, which is what the AARP NOW app connects to.

In the current version of the AARP NOW app on your iPhone, go to the "ACCOUNT" tab in the bottom navigation to opt-in to AARP Rewards. After opting in, select "Sync a fitness tracker." From here, you can sync Apple's Health app (or other fitness apps) by selecting it and giving permission to sync your health data.

Your Apple Watch should already be linked to your Apple Health app. If not, here is Apple's help document on that topic:

Manage Health data on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch

-- Add information from your Apple Watch

-- How Health handles data from multiple sources

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204351

This great information was shared by our Fitness Enthusiast, Mike Lee –https://community.aarp.org/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1270510 

Haven’t synced your fitness tracker?  Earn points for hitting daily, weekly and monthly milestones. Sync now!

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

After looking at various fitness trackers to see about tracking more details of my activity, I mentioned the tracking to my step-daughter and how I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted for $50 to $150 just to track my activity. She pointed me to Samsung Health on our cell phones using Android.
For us, Samsung Health tracks from midnight to midnight whether or not we have the application up and running. I have checked the app in the evening when it hasn't even been on and have seen how many steps I took and so on.
We can set limits and goals along with weight, heart rate (which the phone can provide through a sensor in the Galaxy S7 on up), and our stress levels. We can record food, water, and caffeine intake. It will keep track of inactivity, which can be manually altered to match sleep time or whatever. For activity, modes can be set manually to match types of exercise - walking, running, biking, paddling, and so on. It also links to various articles about staying healthy.

The app also lets the user connect with others using the app for friends (it shows over 1.2 million participants today) and challenges. A quick look just now, my first look at that part of the app, told me that my step count over the last 7 days is below average for those using the app. I've been quite a slacker lately.

I am barely more than a beginner using Samsung Health, so I only know that it does much more than I have listed.

The one thing it doesn't do is synchronize with AARP. If this is an issue for you, then Samsung Health is probably not for you.

If you have a Samsung cell phone, check the store for this free application.
We do have choices.
Stay well, and enjoy!

P.S. If you have an Apple cell phone, I can't help you.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

HI,

I have a Samsung phone and the only problem I can see is that I don't have it on me constantly to track my steps and such. I have checked the app on several occasions and liked it, so am going to re-investigate the possibility of using it.

Thank you 

Shari

Shari
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1. Do AARP and the MyRewards program offer any discounts toward the purchase of a fitness tracker gizmo?

2. What inexpensive trackers, that are compatible with AARP Rewards, do you recommend?

Thank you

Trusted Contributor

My steps appear fairly credited, although with no working transaction history, who knows.  Assuming they are, they seem based on my steps counted by my fitbit (Inspire, if you're scoring at home.  But the fitbit from what I can tell, including conversations with them, doesn't seem able to seperate steps from ( stationary) bike riding so again, with no transaction history as a source, I have zero idea if I'm getting the 150 points per day for my 5 mile rides, let alone the weekly/monthly credits.  It seems like the only tracker that AARP syncs with is fitbit, and since my inspire fitbit doesn't seem to track bike miles, I am left perplexed.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@kb1248 I have verified your AARP Rewards balance and you are receiving 150 points for daily activity and weekly activity. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I said that in my message, so thank you, but that is not at all helpful.  I'll try again. Ifi you go to the earn page, and click on trackers, point value and apply, the rundown includes points for BOTH steps, AND biking.  Telling me I'm getting points for the steps is old news, although with no transaction history, it, at my end is an assumption.  And also assumed, with no trans history,  is that I am NOT getting points for biking on the daily or weekly basis.  Verify that I AM getting those, and I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't believe I am  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@kb1248 I only see one (1) 150 daily point and one (1) 150 weekly point earned in your account. Your device may not be picking up the difference in walking/steps and biking like you mention. I suggest you check with Fitbit for tips on how to track your different fitness activities separately. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I talked to fitbit, and seem to have gotten some good help on the subject but we'll see if the adjustments made work.  I will attempt to ride the stationary bike tonight for the 5 miles that in accord with already having my fitbit synced with AARP should result in 150 points being credited this evening.  Wish I didn't have to impose on you to check, but no trans history necessitates.  Thank you for the follow up.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@kb1248 It is not a problem and thanks for letting us know. Hopefully that does the trick. I'll check your points for you tomorrow morning! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

i WALK MY DOG 2X a day.  i try to  walk her a least a mile a day.

Then I go to the complex sittting area and do my exercise from knee

bends, arm exercises, swing legs at least 26x times on each leg.

pelvic push and head twist.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I rode 5 miles last night, and points were not credited.  No question it was 5 miles.  On both yesterday and today (Wed 2/26), I ran well over 10,000 steps and was credited the 150 points both times.  How do I know I was credited for the run, as opposed to the bike?  Because I run everyday, and as points at least seem to be credited eveery day, I assume its from the running. I'm now wondering if you can only get 150 points per day which cartainly does not seem accurately suggested in the earn points section under trackers.  I'm back at square 1 with the exception of my fitbit finally tracking my biking last night.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP