Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Meditation, a call for your tips!

Message 31 of 48

Every morning and evening I do 10 or 15 minutes of stillness meditation. But what helps me the most is through out the day I do very short active mediation, by this I mean I take time out when I am cooking to thinking about how I am breathing and am I thinking about the food I am preparing and sending blessings for all those that worked to get it to my kitchen. When I get in my car I am mindful of how relaxed or stressed I am and adjust my breath if needed. Believe me, the way some people drives can take one breath away! I live a few miles from one of the most dangerous highways in this country. So I think everyone should be aware of their attitude, and adjust it to calming vibes if needed, before driving.

I am a caregiver and a lot of people ask me how I remain so calm and keep a smile, well most of the time, it is do to bring aware of when I need to adjust my breathing and thinking. Sometimes this is hard to do, but being stressed out is not how I want to live.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 48
Well God bless you that just show how much you love your parents and now u will be alright as you are living and too many children are very disrespectful to their parents and that why there life is so miserable for what they do as to there parents
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 48

Hi Sullicox, I am just an amatuer but here are some things that have helped me. Try focusing on your breath when you are not doing anything, just those in between moments. Try to focus on one part of your breath, the nostrils, the chest or the diaphragm. Just note how it feels, breathe in and out, count to one at the end of each inhale and two at the end of each exhale. I tried to take too deep a breath at first, and this was making it harder to hold it for a short time and just be in the breath, I was thinking about holding it in vs the act of breathing. Take a normal breath. When you do this dont try to meditate, just get used to noting your breathing. Hopefully this will help you "get in the groove" later when you try to meditate. It's ok to do very short meditations (5-6 min), easier really than starting out trying to meditate for 15-30 min. Remember, you cant do "it" wrong, and the best way to get better is to relax, go easy on yourself, and practice, even if it is just a few minutes. Good luck and God Bless.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 48

I am in the latter, but desperately want to be in the former. I am not good at doing it - I am great with guided meditation, but so very seldom, do I even take the time to set that up. I have PTSD, and I know it helps even actually keep episodes to a lesser degree, and can help when I.m having a panic attack, but it's the Last thing I think of! I need to learn to be disciplined about this discipline! 

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 48

Insight Timer is a nice phone app for simple meditations. You can set the timer with various ambient sounds as well as beginning and ending bells.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 48

Meditation first thing in the morning, before the monkey-mind becomes active and even if for only 10-15 mins can feel like a short power-nap.  Place your feeling-sense awareness on a part of your body that holds tension and as your exhale, relax.  It's pure magic.  Think of meditation as making friends with yourself.  Become the observer of your thoughts.  No judgement. No resistance.  With practice, the stillness of space between thoughts will grow.  Your mind will then become your servant instead of your master and you will experience more peace in your life. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 48

Mediation is a way to slow down your brain of high stress, anxiety attack and panic attacks.  Imagine if all of a sudden you can't cope with whatever- Stop, start breathing slower, and slower, close your eyes, and think- I'm in a garden full of sweet smells, feeling light breezes flow around you, keep breathing slower, if you want you can put a fountain there, water heals your mind and body, let it flow on you, put your feet in it.  This whole scenario can last 5 minutes.  You can do it anywhere.

Also, Qigong is a beautiful movement of mind and body. When, you stand, your feet are roots.  Your body stands perfectly still and can feel energy flowing thru it. Your arms are branches and are also flowing.  Your head is closest to the heavens.  So, as you rise up with your arms, taking in the Qi, you bring it down past your shoulders, down your body, healing everything and down to your roots and beyond.

Everyday, we are bombarded by anger, frustration, anxiety, exasperation on how to deal with it.  Doctors love to give pills, it's a band-aid fix.  It causes more problems in the body. So, why not meditation? It's like rewireing you brain.  It literally makes you see something and feel something so wonderful, just for a moment or if you do it longer, then it will be longer. If you do it outside, then you will get ALL the Energy of all living things, and yes, ALL their energy.  It flows from them to you, and you will feel so different., more open and receptive. How is this possible? Because the your 3 Brains are receptive and wants more!  Give it a try, you will be surprised, even if for a moment.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 48

I have tried meditation and it has been very helpful. My moms birthday is in December and her and my father and sister are not here any more. I say try it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 48

Personally, I use alcohol to cope during the holidays!  🥃🍹🍸 Cheers!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 48

I use meditation to cope with every day and holidays are no different. While meditation is known to lower stress and levels of depression, it can also positively create physical changes in the brain that can protect a person from mental health issues in the future.

For meditation to be really effective, I found that you need to do it regularly. It’s good to have a ritual to ensure that you do it every day and the best time is what works for you. Morning works best for me because I like how it can set the tone for the day, although, I also make a point to meditate just before bed. Never a good sleeper, meditation seems to calm me down and at least gives me a quality rest.

Having a regular schedule is ideal, but let’s face it, life happens, so be prepared to be flexible.

There are many meditation tools and equipment one can use to enhance the experience, but I tend to keep it simple and will take advantage of a quiet garden, a stop by the seaside, dim the lights in a comfy spot in my home, or meditate any place that gives me complete focus. To avoid external distractions, I will sometimes close my eyes when listening to soothing music and embrace the darkness (or silence).

Meditation can be very powerful, so, I ask you…. Why wouldn’t you give meditation a try when it can change the course of your life for good? I have friends who have no time or interest in meditating. I just smile because I know what they are missing.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.