Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Meditation, a call for your tips!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Meditation, a call for your tips!

It may be that 40% of the US meditates regularly, but Pew Research also indicates that 45% meditate seldom or never. Where do you fall? 

Share your tips on meditation and how to cope during the holidays!

Who knows, your post could receive a free giveaway of the Meditation for Caregivers book, by Barry J. Jacobs, Psy.D. and Julia L. Mayer, Psy.D. or other goodies during November!

AARPTeri
Contributor

Try taking CBD oil  in moderation.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have tried meditation and it has been very helpful. My moms birthday is in December and her and my father and sister are not here any more. I say try it.

Trusted Contributor

I use meditation to cope with every day and holidays are no different. While meditation is known to lower stress and levels of depression, it can also positively create physical changes in the brain that can protect a person from mental health issues in the future.

For meditation to be really effective, I found that you need to do it regularly. It’s good to have a ritual to ensure that you do it every day and the best time is what works for you. Morning works best for me because I like how it can set the tone for the day, although, I also make a point to meditate just before bed. Never a good sleeper, meditation seems to calm me down and at least gives me a quality rest.

Having a regular schedule is ideal, but let’s face it, life happens, so be prepared to be flexible.

There are many meditation tools and equipment one can use to enhance the experience, but I tend to keep it simple and will take advantage of a quiet garden, a stop by the seaside, dim the lights in a comfy spot in my home, or meditate any place that gives me complete focus. To avoid external distractions, I will sometimes close my eyes when listening to soothing music and embrace the darkness (or silence).

Meditation can be very powerful, so, I ask you…. Why wouldn’t you give meditation a try when it can change the course of your life for good? I have friends who have no time or interest in meditating. I just smile because I know what they are missing.

Trusted Contributor

I use meditation to cope with every day and holidays are no different. While meditation is known to lower stress and levels of depression, it can also positively impact physical changes in your brain that can protect you from mental health issues in the future.

For meditation to be really effective, I found that I need to do it regularly and the best time for me is mornings because I like how it sets the tone for the day, although, I also make a point to meditate just before bed. Never a good sleeper, meditation seems to calm me down and at least gives me a quality rest.

Having a regular schedule is ideal, but let’s face it, life happens, so be prepared to be flexible.

There also are many meditation tools and equipment you can use to enhance the experience, but I tend to keep it simple. I will take advantage of a quiet garden, a stop by the seaside, dim the lights in a comfy spot in my home, or meditate any place that gives me complete focus. To avoid external distractions, I will sometimes close my eyes when listening to soothing music and embrace the darkness (or silence in some cases).

Meditation can be very powerful, so, I ask you…. Why wouldn’t you give meditation a try when it can change the course of your life for good? I have friends who have no time or interest in meditating. I just smile because I know what they are missing.

Periodic Contributor

It really helps to take at least 10 minutes to just be your breath, letting everything else to fall away. It promotes gentleness with yourself, the best self care potion. Use an app, like insight timer (free) to manage your time and keep you honest.

Enjoy yourself.

Contributor

A quick and easy way I integrate some mindful meditation into my busy day - especially during the holidays, is to use my Fitbit's two minute breathing exercise in which I synchronize my breathing with the circle around the heart on the app.  I sit still and inhale and exhale on cue deeply while focusing on the growing circle and the collapsing circle.  Afterward, I feel relaxed and refreshed.

Periodic Contributor

I like UCLA mindful app on my phone, from the Mindful Awareness Research Center. It has guided meditations as short as 5-6 minutes. Breathing techniques can be very helpful for relaxation.

Bronze Conversationalist

The Holidays can be so very stressful. I have found mindfulness meditation to be very helpful. Years ago, I came upon a free website https://www.helpguide.org  I believe it is a Harvard collaborated self-guided program to help you relieve stress and take control of your life. It contains The Emotional Intelligence Toolkit  https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-health/emotional-intelligence-toolkit.htm based on the life work of HelpGuide’s co-founder, Dr. Jeanne Segal. Her free Ride the Wild Horse Mindful Meditation clips have been wonderful for quick stress relief and stress management. They also have sections devoted to Mental Health, Healthy Living, Children & Family, Relationships and Aging. 

I wish for everyone in the AARP Community a Happy & Healthy Holiday Season!

SuzyQ

This is actually a very Informative program. Explaining in every detail the steps too learn, advance, and nurture.

Plus the way u inform us all how u deal with your stress levels. Great topic of conversation and thank you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Me too
0 Kudos

Thanks for the website information.  I was a caregiver for my parents for 10 years and now have to learn how to be alive again.  I totally concentrated on their needs and forgot about mine.

Contributor

I was caregiver for my Dad, Mom and brother for several years until their passing.   Although, I concentrated on their needs which were  overwhelming most times, I found meditating early in the morning proved very helpful and relaxing before starting a challenging day.   Medication and prayer help were useful tools during these difficult times.  

0 Kudos

Well God bless you that just show how much you love your parents and now u will be alright as you are living and too many children are very disrespectful to their parents and that why there life is so miserable for what they do as to there parents
Periodic Contributor

Be sure to take care of yourself, I was a caregiver for years and it is very difficult to keep up. Be sure to reward yourself for all the things you do. If the caregiver goes down, then what? God Bless.

Contributor

I am in the beginning of my journey as a caregiver.  I know I have a long way ahead but thanks to the meditation I learned many years ago with the Buddist Lhamas in India I know I will be safe.

Light a candle and sit or kneel in front of it, concentrate on the flame and breath slowly, until you feel all of your body relaxed and free.  It might take you five minutes or more, but it is worth for all day.

Be careful where you place the candle: it should be on a flat platform, preferable of metal.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP