Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Meditation, a call for your tips!

Message 41 of 47

It really helps to take at least 10 minutes to just be your breath, letting everything else to fall away. It promotes gentleness with yourself, the best self care potion. Use an app, like insight timer (free) to manage your time and keep you honest.

Enjoy yourself.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 47

Be sure to take care of yourself, I was a caregiver for years and it is very difficult to keep up. Be sure to reward yourself for all the things you do. If the caregiver goes down, then what? God Bless.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 47

Thanks for the website information.  I was a caregiver for my parents for 10 years and now have to learn how to be alive again.  I totally concentrated on their needs and forgot about mine.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 47

A quick and easy way I integrate some mindful meditation into my busy day - especially during the holidays, is to use my Fitbit's two minute breathing exercise in which I synchronize my breathing with the circle around the heart on the app.  I sit still and inhale and exhale on cue deeply while focusing on the growing circle and the collapsing circle.  Afterward, I feel relaxed and refreshed.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 47

I like UCLA mindful app on my phone, from the Mindful Awareness Research Center. It has guided meditations as short as 5-6 minutes. Breathing techniques can be very helpful for relaxation.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 47
The Holidays can be so very stressful. I have found mindfulness meditation to be very helpful. Years ago, I came upon a free website https://www.helpguide.org  I believe it is a Harvard collaborated self-guided program to help you relieve stress and take control of your life. It contains The Emotional Intelligence Toolkit  https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-health/emotional-intelligence-toolkit.htm based on the life work of HelpGuide’s co-founder, Dr. Jeanne Segal. Her free Ride the Wild Horse Mindful Meditation clips have been wonderful for quick stress relief and stress management. They also have sections devoted to Mental Health, Healthy Living, Children & Family, Relationships and Aging. 

I wish for everyone in the AARP Community a Happy & Healthy Holiday Season!

SuzyQ
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Meditation, a call for your tips!

Message 47 of 47

It may be that 40% of the US meditates regularly, but Pew Research also indicates that 45% meditate seldom or never. Where do you fall? 

Share your tips on meditation and how to cope during the holidays!

Who knows, your post could receive a free giveaway of the Meditation for Caregivers book, by Barry J. Jacobs, Psy.D. and Julia L. Mayer, Psy.D. or other goodies during November!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors