Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 24

We have backpack for each family member.  Each pack includes, flashlight, extra batteries, supply of water, snacks & freeze-dried food, person-specific medication, compass, small first aid kit, 2 extra sets of clothes, books/games/puzzles/entertainment, whistle, pen & paper, and toothbrush.  We also keep a backpack we call the family pack.  The  items in this pack are for the entire family:

radio/batteries;  extra phone chargers;   small tool kit;  blankets;  toilet paper;  freeze dried food; water; and first aid kit.   It's quite a bit, but once there, it doesn't have to be replaced except for the food and water, and freeze-dried food usually last 10 years.  Of course, medication should be rotated out and used, keeping the newest prescriptions in the backpack.  This may sound like overkill to some people, but if you have to leave quickly, you will be thankful you had made this preparation.    (Examples:  California wildfires;  last-minute hurricane evacuations;  must move to a shelter due to a tornado, flooding or other disaster.  Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 24

Unfortunately, I do not have one. I think I have taken for granted that there has not been a disaster in the city I live.that I am too relaxed. However, after reading this article, I will be getting one together. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 24

Here in South Carolina, it is possible to experience nearly every type of in climate weather:

We live on a fault line & can experience an earthquake, we have experienced hurricanes, tornadoes,  the city of Charleston burned over 100 years ago, and we have had ice & snow storms. 
Our readiness plan is to evacuate prior to hurricanes with our family. If we have a natural disaster when we are at home, we always have a large supply of medication, gas for our grill & many batteries for our flashlights. We always keeps 2 weeks of food in the house. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 24

For a storm, I have water, flashlights, hiking boots, blankets and pillows and a bicycle helmet in my downstairs bathroom.

if I have to leave my home PDQ, I have scanned/emailed copies of all my important documents,  including prescriptions to 2 of my email accounts.  I never park my car with less than 1/4 tank of gas ️ 

Best!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 24

Weather radio. Batteries. Canned food with pop tops. Battery operated heated blankets. 2 gallons of water per person . flashlights plenty batteries snack items keep phones charged. Blow up mattresses first aid kits. Plenty hand wipes sanitizers candles battery operated heaters

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 24

At this very moment here in Houston we're being hit by tropical storm Beta. It's dropped over 12" of rain since last evening and most major roads and freeways are blocked with flood waters. In other words, a normal summer storm here. That being said, I'm always shocked by how many people don't have flood insurance. If you live in an area that probably won't flood it's only pennies but even if you live in an area that does flood often it's still amazingly cheap for the protection it gives you.

The insurance is backed by the U.S. government even though the policy is sold through whatever insurance agent you're using for home/auto/renters insurance. There's a wait period between when the policy is purchased and when it goes into effect so you can't wait until the storm is at your doorstep before signing up.

Stay safe.

www.foragingtexas.com
www.medicinemanplantco.com
YouTube: DrMerriwether
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 24

we have a bug out box witch has 40 gal water 10 days if food for 3 batteries 4 flashlights 2 hand crank

chargers one scanner one ham radio 4 sleeping bags 20below 1two burner stove 5 propane canisters and goodies snacks my truck always has a full tank with 5gal gascan  in back 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 24

Our main concern is tornadoes. We have a tub with bright yellow lid containing essentials. Bottled water is always kept in the pantry. A plan for dragging mattresses and closing doors so we can hunker down in the hallway is shared with everyone.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 24

Keep my family contact #, prepare a bag with clothes for at least 3 day, package food, and make plans for family to meet in a safe place. Keep cash for emergency situations in a safe place.  

(PRAY)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 24

Up until 2 weeks ago, we had none. But after being evacuated twice within a 24 hour period of time due to wildfires in Southern Oregon, we are doing a lot of re-thinking. Fireproof-locking safety box with all important papers that can be grabbed. A duffel bag with some toiletries, tylenol, extra chargers and some clothes waiting to be grabbed. The big take away I learned from this is have alternative escape routes planned out. When a whole neighborhood and city is being evacuated, it does not help you to be stuck in traffic.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit