Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 4: Healthy Eating Contest: Scrap This For That

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 4: Healthy Eating Contest: Scrap This For That

Week 4:  SCRAP THIS FOR THAT: Try regrowing one food from your scraps this week (June 22-30, 2020).

Some foods can be regrown in simply water and with exposure to sunlight. Try regrowing celery with the following easy steps:

1. Cut off the end. Slice about 2 inches off the root end of a bunch of celery. 
  2. Place the celery in a shallow glass bowl or jar of water.
  3. Watch it grow. After a few days, you should start to see small leaves emerging from the very center of the top.
  4. Replant in soil.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card!

Official Rules: https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Eating-Contest-Rules-June-20...  

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Using Sweet potatoes can yield yummy nutrient rich, greens and a beautiful plant!leafy delights from scrap of sweet potatoleafy delights from scrap of sweet potato

Periodic Contributor

B267E9C3-41BA-4CA2-8174-BCF4D2B4F197.jpeg

Contributor

Growing sweet potatoes!  The slips will eventually be planted next to the shallots I grew from a sprouted shallot.  I think it's really interesting how one mother plant can spawn a whole bunch more!IMG_3618.jpg

Contributor

Here I am with my compost pile "scraps". I gingerly pulled out the mystery tomato and squash starts and replanted them in my flower garden and a pot. We'll see what I get when they mature!

These "scraps" came from my compost pile. I will have mystery tomatoes and squash when they are mature.These "scraps" came from my compost pile. I will have mystery tomatoes and squash when they are mature.

Periodic Contributor

If you can make me a hat exactly like yours I would pay you good money for it!!  Plus it humorously promotes our absolute Civic Duty to always Social Distance. I love your hat cos it is does a very light hearted manner and uses humor to get the message across to the non compliance people who refused to social distance. Contact me offline in a PM about making me a hat just like yours. I will gladly give $$$ for a hat like yours.   pingyuen2019@gmail.com

Keep Hope Alive!

Periodic Contributor

I LOVE your hat.

Contributor

These tomato and squash plants were "scraps" out of my compost pile! I gingerly scooped them out and replanted in my flower garden and a pot. So far they are doing well. Since I don't know exactly where they came from I don't know what kind of veggies I'll get from them when they mature. I love that they came up on their own. Super easy!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

recycle/reuse green onions - here with dillrecycle/reuse green onions - here with dill

Yippie Skippie - I've not shopped for green onions since March - so fun now in the pandemic to step outside and harvest my second/third/fourth cuttings from my regrown green onions.  Nothing better than a freshly cut - anything for great flavor.  I decided to plant the "stubs" with some dill seeds and have found it makes an interesting pot on my front step. Didn't have much success with the lettuce - tried it twice - but it wimped out on me.

Contributor

My apartment does not get much sun, but at this time of year, there is some light that comes into my western window. Having nothing to lose, I put the bottoms of two heads of romaine lettuce into a coconut shell bowl with a little bit of water to cover the bottom. It was a joyous surprise to see that within a few days, I had grown these beautiful green leaves. Though they are small, they are the perfect micro greens needed to compliment my sandwich. There is something so gratifying in both watching the regrowth and enjoying the taste of something fresh and homegrown from what would have been thrown in the compost bin.

P1420219.JPG

Periodic Contributor

Ready4avocados

3C2C1E26-E5DA-4A5B-A12B-BE09DFAA6F09.jpeg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I planted the top of a pineapple in a pot.  It I keep it in a sunny place and water it regularly, it will produce a new pineapple for us to eat.IMG_0024.JPG

0 Kudos

We did the same!  Pinapple1.jpg

Regular Contributor

A cantaloupe melon was the beginning but I wanted more so -seeds saved, dried,and planted 

Hoping before summer to have a good yield of sweetness to enjoy !Hurry Hurry *****Hurry Hurry *****

Boddy C
0 Kudos
Contributor

Our scraps window garden - inspired when scallions were at a premium and then expanded for indoor healthy "gardening" fun!Our scraps window garden - inspired when scallions were at a premium and then expanded for indoor healthy "gardening" fun!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Romaine Lettuce regrownRomaine Lettuce regrown

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

IMG_20200622_180901_3.jpg

IMG_20200623_200241_7.jpg

This small scrap of purple yam grew into two great big tubs of thriving purple yams. Jerusalem artichokes, sweet potatoes, white potatoes,  any tuber will sprout and when the tuber is not fresh enough to eat, I plant it in some potting soil in a container on my balcony. I don't have any backyard as an urban high rise apt dweller but I have a lovely micro-garden of veggies, herb and flowers on my apt balcony.  I use trellises to grow as much good in a tiny space.   SPIN Gardening isMis small otnit intensive planting. on My next growing food from scraps is ginger and pineapple. Both will grow in California climate. Check You Tube for details. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Growing lettuce, onions, and cilantro from leftovers or cuttings

image.jpg

0 Kudos

I've been using one bunch of green onions perhaps every other day in my salads as well as a topper on various prepared meals   I've cut the cost of buying my onions be restarting the green onions in a cup of water.  The grow rather quickly. 

15932148875921463964330.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In a similar vein, I had a few tomatoes that were mushy and old. I threw them in the garden and got a few growing now from the seeds! The potatoes work too, just toss in the garden.

20200626_131602.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had never regrown produce before. But a few months ago I put my green onion in water to make them last longer. After our last hard freeze I planted them in a pot, and now they are flowering. It's so fun to watch nature at work. You can see them in the pot in front of the raised bed. garden bed.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm trying this with celery... eager to see how it goes!celery.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

My green onions growing roots!My green onions growing roots!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

growing celery - put base/end in water, eventually put into dirtgrowing celery - put base/end in water, eventually put into dirt

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When garlic sprouts, the shoots are edible but quite strong in flavor!  If you cook with them, the garlic flavor gets milder. Don’t discard garlic that sprouted garlic!  It’s perfectly fine to eat!

4300FD51-E36D-4D2D-8BD4-24C62D0D3EA7.jpeg

Contributor

Starting my own celery..fun project and really interesting.Starting my own celery..fun project and really interesting.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I eat bok choy - but it's so expensive! I cut the bottom off of my last bunch and put it in with my seedlings - now hoping it will grow and flourish!IMG_20200624_154631673.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've always wanted to try Bok Choy but I have no idea how to cook it.   What do you do with yours?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It's a member of the cabbage family, so it's very versatile.I put chopped raw bok choy into a Chinese chicken salad that I make (Napa Cabbage, Bok Choy, onion, snap peas, snow peas, water chestnut diced, mung bean sprouts, tossed together, top with cooked chicken and rice noodles that have marinated in a sesame dressing, ooh!)

My elderly mother used to want me to put bok choy into every kind of soup I made, especially chicken.

Stir fry- sliced bok choy goes into all my stir fries.

You can put raw sliced bok choy into all kinds of salads, including cole slaw (it's a form of cabbage, remember?)

Try it!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Check Walmart- their price on bok choy is pretty reasonable, plus it's pretty easy to grow from seed, too. Try baby bok choy- it grows faster and can be grown in a pot since it's small!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP