Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 2: Healthy Eating Contest: Mood Food.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 2: Healthy Eating Contest: Mood Food.

Week 2: MOOD FOOD: Include one omega-3-rich food in your diet every day this week, June 8-14, 2020.

Omega-3 fatty acids are important for the structure and function of the nervous system. Deficiencies in omega-3s are connected to cognitive and mood disorders. Include omega-3-rich foods such as mackerel, salmon, herring, oysters, anchovies, flaxseeds, chia seeds and walnuts in your diet every day to give your brain a boost.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card!

AARPTeri
Contributor

For breakfast, Omega-3 enriched eggs with leftover beef from earlier in the week mixed in. Very filling.Omega-3 enriched eggs with leftover beefOmega-3 enriched eggs with leftover beef

0 Kudos
Contributor

I cooked this turkey with all the fixings from scratch

Periodic Contributor

Omegs 3 Rich Fresh SaladOmegs 3 Rich Fresh Salad

Regular Contributor

Omega-3 foods added to my breakfast smoothie: oat milk, protein powder, banana, avocado, nectarine, blueberries, flaxseeds, and chia seeds. It was deliciously creamy. (The smoothie wasn't so green in real life, my phone camera seems to tinge everything green!)

IMG_20200612_121049996_HDR~7.jpg

Periodic Contributor

Chia Cacao Pudding copy.jpg

This is my Chia Chocolate Pudding. The main ingredients include chia seed, almond milk, cacao powder and stevia. I’m lactose intolerant so I choose a nut milk for the base. Chia has the omega-3 and cacao is high in antioxidants, so this treat is both healthy and tasty. There is no processed sugar either. The only downside is that the chia needs time to form a gel for the pudding texture, so if you want it for a dessert after dinner it needs to be made in the morning.

Periodic Contributor

This is my Chia Chocolate Pudding. The main ingredients include chia seed, almond milk, cacao powder, and stevia. I’m lactose intolerant so I choose nut milk for the base. Chia has the omega-3 and cacao is high in antioxidants, so this treat is both healthy and tasty. There is no processed sugar either. The only downside is that the chia needs time to form a gel for the pudding texture, so if you want it for a dessert after dinner it needs to be made in the morning.Chia Cacao Pudding copy.jpg

Thank you for this post!  I'm going to try it tonight

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Adding omega-3 foods to dinner: pasta with sauteed spinach and arugula (olive oil and garlic, of course), topped with chopped walnuts and crushed red pepper. Photo might not look so good, but it was delicious!

IMG_20200610_230624104_HDR.jpg

Contributor

Little Changes Add Up
One small change I've implemented to increase nutrition in my food is using eggs that come from hens fed an omega-3 enhanced diet. Another is taking a daily fish oil supplement.
There are many, many more, and AARP is a great source for finding ideas and inspiration!Small Daily Changes for Better HealthSmall Daily Changes for Better Health 

Periodic Contributor

A classic Caesar Salad brings the Omega 3s with anchovies in the dressing  Yum! 😊22D61339-075F-4FB6-B1C2-A85FFBEAC14A.jpeg

Contributor

This super breakfast turbo charges me for the day!

Slow cook oatmeal, fresh berries, applesauce and a spoonful of Chia Seeds on top for an extra Omega-3 fatty acid boost!breakfast.jpg

For added protein and holds you longer add Oikos Vanilla yogurt and egg whites w/ cinnamon.

0 Kudos

20200610_110403.jpg

This morning I ate English Muffins smeared with avocado packed with lots of Omega 3s in place of butter or margarine for breakfast. It was so delicious.

Contributor

Omega 3 + oyster roast fun for the win!

shuckin oysters-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

2AA0BC88-1E3E-425C-8A5C-82B3EA807F61.jpeg

I love salmon and I eat it at least twice a week.  My go to salad is Caesar with lots of anchovies.        

Contributor

I enjoy tuna on my daily salad with peppers, sunflower seeds & walnuts & a vinaigrette dressing🤗7FDAE6C5-C49E-4788-B04A-2F0954F6A1B5.jpeg

Periodic Contributor

Capture.PNG

We love to incorporate salmon into our weekly diet. There are so many recipes out there. Always fun to try new ones. Enjoy nuts on top as well.

Periodic Contributor

I've been snacking on walnuts in between meals to get more Omega-3 in my diet.

WalnutsWalnuts

Contributor

My favorite snack is black olives so it's easy to rack up the omega 3!

black-ripe-reduced-salt.png

Contributor

Trying single serve salmon a cooked different way each night for dinner.  Tonight was blackened salmon!salmon.JPG

Contributor

walnuts 7.JPG

stocking up walnuts for my salads and banana bread

I incorporated week 1 and 2 by making my own Greek yogurt and homemade granola with walnuts,Golden flaxseed, whole oats-serving for breakfast every morning/ delicious and healthy 

Contributor

We had broiled whitefish for dinner with brown rice/quinoa mixture, and mashed potatoes. Didn't get a pic, but did get one of the smoked trout before dinner! Was a real Lake Michigan dinner.

15917454492038042944538866902678.jpg

Contributor

As a Bavarian-American, I love left-over german potato salad tossed with romaine lettuce, hard boiled egg and tuna.  A Nicoise that even the French can appreciate. 

Waldorf "salad" made with Splenda sweetened plain yoghurt is a really filling dessert.

The Dame of Friendship Lane
Contributor

43e3fec0-db62-4923-8777-ea4d1f52e40f.jpg

I have been eating all kind of fish. This picture shows a salmon with avocado salad, asparagus and baked potatoes. This is helping me with energy and eating healthy is helping me to stay active and with energy 

Contributor

I love salmon. Here we had it with a nice salsa!fish.jpg

Periodic Contributor

omega 3.jpegI try to integrate chia and flaxseed daily. Eating fish is not sustainable and too polluted for wild fish, and farmed fish have antibiotics added and cause water pollution from fish farms, and animal protein causes inflammation and multiple health issues. Fish get their Omega-3 from ALGAE so just eat the ALGAE and skip the earth-hogging animal products. You will be healthier and more pain-free! Imagine pain free joints and lower back! YAY!

Periodic Contributor

image.jpg

Periodic Contributor

I really enjoy salmon and other fish. I eat oysters, but not weekly. I like anchovies and enjoy it on a pizza.

206F8CFB-9306-4A66-A4B8-1F73ACC31CFD.jpeg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP