Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Share how you stay fit!

Staying fit is always a challenge for most of us!  We would love to hear and see how you keep fit!

Personally, I have been consistent with going to a 30 minute HIIT class even through part of the pandemic!  fitbodybootcampphoto.JPGSafety measures were taken very seriously and a mask is mandatory but I still love getting it in!

I also take walks with friends in my neighborhood which is good for the heart in more ways than one!

Share what gets you going!  We would love to see your photos too!

AARPTeri

I used to my my dog.  She passed. Joined the local senior center.  They have a hiking club.  Hiking is a lot tougher than walking.  I really enjoyed hiking to get fit.  Pushed myself too hard.  Hurt my knee walking downhill.  I've been going to physical therapy for 6 weeks.  I ride my recumbent bike for ten minutes.  Then I do my exercises and ride recumbent bike for 30-60 minutes.  Do 150 to 300 crunches and stretch.  Looking forward to hiking again.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I walk my dog twice a day 1.5 miles each time.  I also exercise with senior planet teacher Cas.   He keeps us going.  Thanks 

Periodic Contributor

There is a beautiful place called Cloudland Canyon south of Chattanooga.  I hike there and you can see beautiful waterfall with a challenging set of steps. Nice hikes and they have a nature center for kids and lots of camping options.  Great place to see fall foliage.

J. Stevens
Trusted Contributor

YAY - Thanks for recommending another spot in Tennessee

I had not heard of it - we are very close to the Cades Cove/Smoky Mountain area.

Will check it out.

Have a GREAT weekend!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

We went to Chattanooga, Tennessee the last week-in and we stayed for {2} days. We also rode the boat and had a great time. The boat ride was 1 and a half hours. That walk was great it was a pretty long walk from the parking lot to the boat, we had to walk up a hill and then down a hill we also had to climb steps to go to the second floor of the boat, to be honest, that was the first time I did that much walking in a very long time because I have a lot of back problems. We took a lot of pictures. We walked from the parking lot to the boat, also we walked around in the huge shopping mall. It was enjoyable, My feet were swollen but I made it the whole time. The walk was great for me. I haven't done that much walking in quite a while. I was with 10 other of my family members. We all had a great time. We plan to go again in about 2 months. As I stated I have a lot of back problems but I did do the walk. We ate at a lovely restaurant the food was great, we all were amazed at how good the food was from the motel, I have never had such great food from a motel. It was all sole food but it was super great. They give you a lot of food on your plate. We could not eat it all it was so much. The walking did me good I was amazed at myself that I could do all the walking. We all wore our masks. {Staying safe} I do all of my house cleanings and do all of my cooking and washing. It was great to be able to get out and do things. 

Even though with all of my back pain I manage to get my housework

done. For all of you out there, it is amazing that we can still do things and stay sharp. Do our own house cleaning and gardening. I admire all of you that can still do the things that we did when we were younger. It's just amazing to be able to do these things. I can't tell you how good this makes me feel to read your posts and know that you all are still able to do the everyday things that we women do.

God bless you all who posted here.

God bless all of you out there and may God continue to bless all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Next time some in your group might like Rock City on Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga.

Warning #1 !!  LOTS of WALKING

Warning #2 !!   BEWARE of Needle’s Eye and Fat Man’s Squeeze. I barely got through 50 pounds ago, but have heard of 250 pounders getting through sideways

But wonderful gardens, scenic views, art, caves, swinging bridge, waterfalls and rock formations.Well, just check it out.

Admission requires a timed ticket. So you have to go online to reserve your preferred time and buy your tickets before your visit.

I play Sr. womens softball, mt bike, road bike, walk and run as often as I can . Being in San Diego it is almost everyday after work. My motto....Use it or lose it.

0 Kudos

I have always loved the outdoors. Each and every day I usually hike more than 13,000 steps. It helps me mentally, spiritually and physically. Yes ladies I also do laundry, wash window, dishes, cut the grass etc.etc.etc. Staying active keeps me alert and enjoying life.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I try staying fit by walking and doing things around the house. I am proud of you and how much you do. For you that is great. Keep up the good works. That is wonderful.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Swim 3x a week - just finished the Senior Games and got won 3 heats for 50-, 100-, and 500-yard swims. Sadly, I was the only male competitor in the 65-69 category for this local event...on to the state games later in the year. I also shoot basketball as a workout, indoor cycle, walk with the wife, and lift weights. Just Do It!, as Nike would say...good advice.

We spend 4 months in central FL.  I cannot tell you how much a couple of hours in the pool each day helps me.  It is a combination of all the lovely people, the sun and the excercise.  We go home in April but the urge of wanting to stay fit helps me continue with walking each day at home.  I find that  being with a group of ladies, who do not know my family, is like going for therapy.  Your can pour out all of those little problems that make you tense……the ones you talk to yourself about!!  

0 Kudos

I go for a walk every day that it isn't raining and also work in my garden. 

Contributor

I had gained a few pounds after cataract surgery and 10 more during Covid.  My new Apple Watch has changed my life!  I am almost exercising every day instead of occasionally, which has led me to care more about my daily nutrition.  I have lost 17 pounds and feel great.

Trusted Contributor

Most people replying to this are already in a successful routine, and my method is hardly original, I run.  How often and how far, not to mention pace is really unimportant to this discussion, but I will state something that might help someone trying to develop a fitness routine.

The whole key to developing a successful, consistent routine is starting and building. If you walk a quarter mile and feel like that was nothing, stop anyway.  Next day, same thing.  Do that step one several days in a row, then add say 2 minutes and do that consistently for "several" days. Build for say a month, and at some point, you'll feel like you can explode, and add more than a quarter mile, but you still want to stop while you're ahead, and build off that for a "few" days.

Other keys...

respect that fitness is a 24 hour job.  You run 10 minutes, the next 23:50 is about recovering and preparing for the next day.

keep a log, it somewhere between encourages and forces discipline and focus

stretching before and after, even modestly is CRITICAL to allowing your body to condition.

Icing body parts prone to soreness or injury is smart.  20 minutes on, 20 off, then 20 on again.

Part of the recovery process can smartly include propping your legs up to reduce inflammation.

If someone asks how your run/walk was today, at most, answer superficially, and don't believe what you say.  Smart money never knows how good their performance was until the next day because today's run/walk isn't over until you have gone through the recovery process and tested your body on the next day's venture. If I put up good numbers and feel good about it one day, but extended too much effort to achieve that and run poorly, or at best fair, because of pushing too hard yesterday, then those numbers weren't as good as they seemed and if answered how was your run favorably, it wasn't true.  

Super Contributor

I envy walkers.  I do the best I can with neuropathy in my left foot.  Our pool requires a week's reservation in advance for a one-hour swim permit.  Antiquated, or what!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You go! I usually get 8-10,000 steps just from working. Weekends I get more since I row, walk or jog and strength train.I also don't eat a lot.  Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I stay fit by typically doing strength training twice a week with equipment at home.  I also walk 2-3 miles at a time 3 times a week.  On average I hike once a week in the Colorado mountains going 7-10 miles which is the main reason I want to be fit is to enjoy the outdoors.Winter Hike Wild BasinWinter Hike Wild Basin

Contributor

I started walking with a friend for 30 minutes three times a week and then suggested we increase it to 40 minutes (we walk inside and outside). Twice a week I work with a trainer with weights, on balance, core strength. As the weather is getting nicer I have been starting to play pickle ball outside; it is fun and doesn't feel like exercise. It is like play. On Wednesdays and Thursday I do a now online yoga therapeutics for seniors class.. Was doing Monday but decided I did not want to get up for class; like to sleep in on Mondays.  Prior to COVID, I did Tai Chi twice a week for about 4 or 5 years. Have really missed that and hope to get back to it soon. I wear a fitbit and try to reach 10K when I can but use it more to monitor my activity minutes.

Trusted Contributor

That is great. I love it. We are all trying to do our best to stay fit. I have a lot of back pain but I do walk, when my back starts to hurt I have to stop and rest for a while. I am doing my best to stay fit. God bless you

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

That is great and I am glad to hear that.  Keep up the good works.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

During the pandemic, our gym stayed open. So, I worked out each day. Anyone who believes that gyms should be closed were duped. The entire pandemic is a gross overstatement to scare the old and influence the young and naive. Stop believing what the nonsense media was saying. Live. Live.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

While you're entitled to your opinion, it's a shame you choose to voice such views in any sort of public arena.  Heaven forbid even one person would be influenced to take covid lightly upon reading this.

I chose to reply because we share something in common.  I belong to a gym that did shut down for 9 weeks, and I was back on day 1 of reopening, attending at my consistent pace since that time.  In the 11 months since, I have continued to respect this virus, and done what I can do to be lucky enough to have avoided it.  Doesn't make me right to approach it that way, or you wrong for thinking in a way I would hate to fall prey to, but you might be a poster boy candidate in support of validating better lucky than good.  

Periodic Contributor

Maybe you are right. Somehow, I don't think we will ever know the real story. If we do....and if it shows all to be far less severe than reported....remember you heard this somewhere. All the best to you. Keep up the great exercise routine!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Not Trump....the truth. Unfortunately, no media outlet is providing that. Take the far right....and the far left...and the truth is in-between. We will never know the truth about Covid. Take this....an average year, the US has 45 million flu cases. This year: 1,455. How is that explained? Masks, social distancing, sanitizing?....so, all those work for the flu; but, we are still getting 100,000 Covid cases A DAY? Masks, social distancing, sanitizing doesn't work on Covid? The numbers just don't make sense. That said, I urge everyone to resume a normal, pre-Covid life. All will be well. All the best to you.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I think that hand washing and wearing masks helps a lot if they didn't then I don't think I would be alive. I keep my hands sanitize and I keep my hands washed all the time. I use my mask every time I go out and even when someone comes to my home. Nurses wear masks in hospitals and they didn't catch the covic. It is a must in hospitals. They manage to get by and don't catch the covic. I think people that catch the covic is the ones who don't protect themselves. In any hospital the nurses wear masks. I am sorry you feel that way. It does help to prevent the covic. I have been around people that had the covic but I was masked up and I didn't catch it. That's because I was protected by my masks and gloves. It helps to wear your masks and stay away from around people that have it.  I love wearing my masks it has protected me from this virus.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Wow. I guess what's happening in India is a gross overstatement too! Not everyone needs a gym to stay fit. There's plenty of walking, biking, and hiking trails, some with exercise stations along the way. Everyone can use them, whether you believe in Covid19 or not. Keep your gym.

Social Butterfly

Unfortunately I’ve not gotten into exercise as it is too painful and this has given rise to a case of Covid belly!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Although we all know exercise is essential to staying fit, one has to want to do it and most of all like to do it or you won't stick with it. So, whatever activity one chooses consistency is key, and combined with proper nutrition and sleep, results will follow. I do cardio 30 mins./5 days a week and lift weights 2 days a week and schedule it in on my calendar on my phone. Also, I keep track of all my activity within an app for my smart/fitness watch.

Nevertheless, if you can only do 10 minutes a day of an activity than that is great too. Something is better than nothing. Here's to staying fit and best of health to you!

Contributor

I try to run 6 days a week(4-10 miles) and do pushups (up to 75) after. On the off day I use the J&J app 7 minute workout to do the smart workout (for abs etc.)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP