Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 31 of 48

@CindyH280561,

It sounds like you are working in a challenging work environment. People don't get sick from wearing masks. Those masks protect others from transmission of the virus that is so dangerous and frightening. Following all of the safety procedures is very important. Sometimes people get irritable when they are scared, so you might be working around people who's moods aren't very pleasant. Don't take it personally. Everyone is doing the best they can. Try to be patient and forgiving in these difficult times.

Best,

Julie

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 48

Hi @CindyH280561,

It sounds like you and everyone in your building is having a tough time. I can understand that. Having to shelter in place is very stressful! I share your hope that the need to stay home will end soon.

In the meantime, I don't know about your building being possessed by spirits. I just think this is an extremely difficult situation that is testing all of us. How will we do with this test? Can we rally our best patience and energies to hang in there the best we can? While it is understandable to be grumpy at times, it doesn't usually help matters. Instead, being grumpy around others usually makes them grumpy, too. (You know, misery loves company.) The opposite is true, though. If you can maintain your ability to be as pleasant and hopeful as possible, then that will rub off on others, too. If you are cheerful enough, then you might make your whole building feel better!

This crisis will end. We will go back out into the world. We will look back on this time as one of the most difficult we have faced. I hope you can look back on your time during the pandemic and feel proud of the way you managed and the kindness you showed others. I think that's what we all want for ourselves. Take care and stay well, Barry

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 48

@WebWiseWoman,
I totally agree with your stay safe sentiment!
Julie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 48

To VWang3414, @vwang3414 

Being a caregiver is full of challenges. Caregiving someone with mental health problems can be especially challenging. Try to appreciate the hard work you are doing and feel going about the efforts you are making. That said, you sound like you could use support and relief. Caregiving is a marathon, not a sprint. Hearing about how others are coping with caregiving can be helpful. Check out AARP's caregiver support resources. Reach out to your religious leaders if you participate. Friends and family can help too. Asking for help is a first step. Try to find ways to take some time for yourself to do some self-care. Hopefully, your burden will feel a little less strenuous.

Julie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 48

Hi G. Stefano, @gdestefano 

Insomnia can be pretty bad.. I know; I suffer from it at times. As you probably know, it can be caused by many different things--worry, pain, other physical discomfort or even indigestion. Some people have insomnia from a serious medical condition known as obstructive sleep apnea for which they should seek medical care. 

For those who can't sleep because their minds of full of worries and they can't turn off their thoughts, I always recommend a simple exercise: Go to sleep and wake up the same times every day. Prevent yourself from napping during the day. About a half hour before you go to sleep, write all your thoughts and worries in a notebook or in a computer file for about 15 minutes. Then close the notebook or file for the night. Don't allow yourself to look at it again until the next morning. (You may never want to look at it again!) This is a way of depositing your thoughts for the night in a safe place that you can retrieve later. This seems to help many people empty their minds and then get a better night's sleep.

I hope this helps! You may also want to look up "sleep hygiene" on the Internet to learn about other simple ways of maximizing your sleep. Good luck!--Barry 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 48

To @ohiospeedmonkey  

You have been through a lot of big changes in a short time. I'm sorry that your divorce was painful. I'm sure it will be a while before you fully adjust to your new life. Be patient with yourself. Recovering from divorce can take a long time. I've spoken to many people who are struggling with how to go back to work comfortably. I'm glad to hear that you can wear masks at your place of employment. Some employers provide them. If you have none, you can wear a bandana or scarf until you can get some masks. You sound like you might be experiencing some depression as you adjust to the changes in your life and your return to work. You might speak to your PCP to get evaluated for depression. Having a schedule by returning to work may also help you to get out of bed more easily. I hope it does. Maybe interacting with people will also help lift your spirits. I wish you all the best. 

Julie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 48

Hi Everyone,

I'm Barry Jacobs, a clinical psychologist, healthcare consultant and a long-time contributor of family caregiving articles to AARP.org. Many people are stressed out nowadays because of the ways that this pandemic has affected all of our lives. What has been most difficult for me and many others is the uncertainty of this situation. No one has a crystal ball and can predict exactly what is going to happen. So we all live in a kind of limbo that can be very uncomfortable.

How stressful has this national health crisis been for you? What do you do to deal with the stress that you are experiencing? I'd love to hear your thoughts and questions. Take care, Barry

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 48

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dr. Julie Mayer, a psychologist who specializes in relationship issues. I've been working with a lot of people who are having a hard time with Covid related issues in their lives. I'll do my best to answer your questions today.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 48
How can one manage stress and anxiety during these Covid times when it causes insomnia? What are effective ways to deal with insomnia?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 48

Im working with behaviors and everyday it seems to have negativity don't know if it is from not going outside or keeping these forty people trapped in side and with no visitors and no money ? or is it a spirit possesesing our building we get their in building and seems everyone gets sick from wearing mask or is in a bad mood oe is this both? everyone can

t wait to get out of there clients and workers

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit