Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Can’t Purchase Any Giftcards

Went To Purchase Giftcard And I keep getting an error message when In fact I have the funds plus more in my account .. I have cleaned my cookies and also switched to the browser customer support says aarp is compatible with and it’s still not working .. I see similar issues being posted which lets me know it’s a deeper issue I Hope maintenance on wenesday Fixes this !!

Periodic Contributor

I get the something wrong with payment error for over a month now.. it has been escalated twice now. 

Never ever had I had this issue.. so WHY NOW? Use same cards I'm trying g to use now, nothing has changed on my side.. what is wrong with yalls system? 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Same error as everyone else. Please update payment method. Card and address match my account and funds are there. I called in earlier and spoke with someone who said it would be 3 business days before I hear back. This will make you guys loose a lot of customers. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@DaphneB243924, like you mentioned, I see now the error you got was escalated this morning, and they are working on it. You should hear back from them within 3-5 business days. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I purchased Carnival gift cards a couple weeks ago and went to purchase more this morning.  Got the error on two different cards on my computer.  Switched to iPad and it went right through.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Im having the same issue. Customer service mentioned all of the possible reasons and none of them applied to me. I tried multiple cards, browsers, laptop, tablet, my phone as well, my husbands phone. nothing is working. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Same

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Madison, I have no idea how I got it to work since I tried all sorts of things just like you did.  I waited about 3 days after getting the errors when trying to pay.  On the 3rd day, I tried EARLY IN THE MORNING which shockingly worked.  One other poster mentioned trying in the morning or later in the evening.  My guess, is they have too many users trying to access the AARP system at once and their system isn't designed to handle it.  Best of luck to you!!  I feel your frustration!!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Madison. You may purchase up to 5 standard gift cards and 25 "Premium" gift cards per month. If you are below this limit, may I please ask the error message you are getting when you try to purchase gift cards. - Stephen K.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Looks like this is still an issue after 13+ months?  Anyone have any tips to get it to work other than getting lucky?  They didn't have any issues charging me when I signed up...

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

13 months and still going as I have the same issues now 5 months after your post

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

And how is it they can hold your money in your account even if it doesn't go through????

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi @DarylJ892939, just to be sure, are you having issues purchasing gift cards through AARP Rewards? - Diana G.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Nicholas. You may purchase up to 5 standard gift cards and 25 "Premium" gift cards per month. If you are below this limit, may I please ask the error message you are getting when you try to purchase gift cards. - Stephen K.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep receiving the following error message

"Something went wrong with your transaction. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Support at 1-866-451-6305.

Please note, even though there was an error with this transaction, submitting your payment information may result in a temporary hold on your available funds. While funds have not been removed or withdrawn from your account, they may be temporarily unavailable as is standard banking procedure when validating a request to transact. Before retrying this purchase, please be sure you have the available funds."

Very disheartening that I call support for assistance and they keep "escalating" as though this isn't a known issue... "we will respond to you in 3-5 business days" when we both know there is no resolution. This is egregious for a corporation, especially considering this is a POS issue and no other methods of payment are offered (paying via phone, Paypal, etc). Even Shopify has a better interface. Please get your developers to fix this as this is frustrating and I've never seen such horrible POS from a business. Funny that the POS works when it's time to pay for the membership 🌝 

This is at best, false advertisement, and at worst, fraud. 

Periodic Contributor

I am getting this error consistently. I've tried for almost a month. Every browser possible, every card possible. I agree. False advertisement, FOR SURE.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@TracyM848275    I see you've purchased gift cards last month, and I'm not seeing a reason on your account prohibiting a purchase. Remember, AARP Reward accounts are one per person and cannot be shared. 
Please ensure you use your own credit/debit card and verify the current mailing address is up to date and matches your bank account. You can verify it or update it from your online account at http://aarp.org?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=13147346062. If you prefer, I'd be happy to check on yours. 
You can't make purchases using someone else's credit or debit card. For complete program details, please review the AARP Rewards Terms and Conditions: https://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/rewards-terms-and-conditions/ ?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=13147346062;
Let me know how I can help!  Jodee R. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is happening for myself and many people I know and has been happening for over a week. Multiple calls and no one can fix it. I have tried 4 computers multiple browsers, my phone and iPad. Everything matches and I have bought them before without issue. I am about to report this to the BBB and cancel my membership unless someone can actually fix this. Its a very widespread issue and its all over cruise forums especially. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi daviszee! I am sorry you are having an issue. I can tell you that the credit card you are using, has to have the same name and address as on the AARP account. Even if both accounts are joint, you have to sign into AARP under your side, and the card has to be one with your name on it. This is often the issue. If you would like to reach out to me in a private message I am happy to assist. You can also visit AARP.org go to rewards and view terms and conditions. -Sue J

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi.  I get the error shown below. I called in and have gone through the steps to allow intrusive ads (ironic?), confirmed no ad blockers, called into Chase after seeing several test charges and Chase confirmed the test charges are being confirmed as "good" to Google/AARP, tried AMEX/Visa/MasterCard, tried a virtual CC, and every time match the name and address at checkout to that of whatever card I'm trying at that point.  Updated my AARP to have no middle name/initial (then it adds a period on it's own, when apparently it's so important to match exactly) and have all but given up.  My cruise is in a couple days, but maybe that's the objective?  If this doesn't work I'll be requesting a refund of the membership fee, which was processed on one of the cards I've been trying without issue.

If I sound frustrated and crabby, it's because I am (as are lots of other people based on the researched I've been doing).

Capture.JPG

Periodic Contributor

They clearly dont want to fix it, there are so many people having the same issue and they clearly just don't want to fix it. I think I am going to report them to the BBB and request a refund of mine and my wife memberships as we literally bought it for the cruise giftcards. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi @JeffreyW68256, please check your most recent comment for our reply. Thanks! - Diana G.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

the reply is to wait 3-5 business days, i referred many clients to get AARP for the cruise gift cards, it's not just me having this issue. My one client waited 5 days and no resolution to this at all. You are not taking it seriously. I will never recommend AARP again. I am going to wait my 3-5 days and if no fix i will be filing complaints with the BBB and telling all of my clients to do the same and request refunds of their membership 

Honored Social Butterfly

(FRIDAY 5/3/24 1:50pm ET)

@JeffreyW68256 , BBB is the way to go.

Worked for me!!!  👍 

Someone from the AARP Corporate Office ALWAYS responds to us and gets the issue FIXED...  💃💃💃

Just make sure it is the ▶️*** Washington DC BBB ***◀️ where the AARP Corporate Office is located.

AARP is headquartered in Washington, 601 E St NW, United States per Google.

Reporting to YOUR LOCATION BBB is a waste of time like this site is.  🙄

*** and @AARPConsumerCare , I DO NOT need a response  ***

Good luck @JeffreyW68256 .

Nicole  👵

[*** JEFFREY @JeffreyW68256 wrote:

the reply is to wait 3-5 business days, i referred many clients to get AARP for the cruise gift cards, it's not just me having this issue. My one client waited 5 days and no resolution to this at all. You are not taking it seriously. I will never recommend AARP again. I am going to wait my 3-5 days and if no fix i will be filing complaints with the BBB and telling all of my clients to do the same and request refunds of their membership ***]

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This is really helpful.  This problem has gone on for years.  I don't want to be involved with any promotions they have:  Life Insurance, Donations, or anything else because of how they have handled this problem.  I have reported them to the BBB as well. 

Honored Social Butterfly

(Friday 5/3/24 10:11pm ET)

@LauraR516315 , I am glad you contacted BBB.

IF you INCLUDED an email address and/or phone number - Corporate will contact you.

BBB has to process your info probably on Monday.

Not sure IF they work weekends.

They will send you confirmation that AARP has been sent your report.

Then in my case a Bruce responded in a few days. Nice guy!!!  👍

From the BBB site I see his name and others.

Good luck @LauraR516315 .

*** and @AARPConsumerCare I DO NOT need a response ***

Nicole  👵

[*** LAURA @LauraR516315 wrote:

This is really helpful.  This problem has gone on for years.  I don't want to be involved with any promotions they have:  Life Insurance, Donations, or anything else because of how they have handled this problem.  I have reported them to the BBB as well. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

What was corporates solution? How did they fix it for you? 

Honored Social Butterfly

(Monday 6/3/24 1pm ET)

An update @AmandaL858778 . I had returned to BBB to complain about being LOCKED OUT of this site from Saturday 6/1/24. Lol, they now have @AARPConsumerCare handling that TOO. 🙄🙄🙄 Anyway, just a heads up to let you know things have changed = no more personalized help. Bots as several members have pointed out. Take care, Nicole 👵

(Friday 5/17/24 2:35pm ET) 

Hi, they made sure I received my giftcards.

Take care,

Nicole  👵

[*** AMANDA @AmandaL858778 wrote:

What was corporates solution? How did they fix it for you? ***]

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

I understand your concerns, @JeffreyW68256. However, each scenario is different, and I only can provide you information about your case. If your client needs assistance, please have him reach out to us: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Diana G.  - it makes no sense whatsoever than one day the credit card will work, and the next time it won't.  You are seriously losing credibility because of this issue.  Word is getting out.  BBB has been contacted.  Fix this...PLEASE.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@LauraR516315, did you get an error with one of your purchases? - Diana G.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP