Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ask The Expert: Returning to Work in a Competitive Market

Retired Community Manager

Ask The Expert: Returning to Work in a Competitive Market

Join Susan Weinstock, AARP Vice President for Financial Resilience, September 13-20, for a discussion around returning to work.

Navigating today’s ever-changing job market can be tough, but we’re here to help you through it. Susan will share strategies that can give you an edge over the competition.

You bring much-needed expertise, maturity and experience to the workplace. Whether you are starting a job search or looking to advance your career, AARP has custom tools and services that can help.

Learn and Earn!  Ask our Work & Jobs expert about ways you can return to work and upskilling/reskilling in a competitive market!  Earn 50 points awarded via code emailed to you after you participate by asking our expert a question (one entry per week given points). Ends September 20.

Good afternoon! This concludes our session with AARP Expert Susan Weinstock. Thank you all for being here. A reminder for participants, you're invited to AARP's upcoming online career expo, Staying Competitive and Relevant for What’s Next. This a free event that can help you stay relevant in the changing job market. September 30, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET. Register today!

0 Kudos

@Susan, sadly many have faced job loss job during the pandemic and fear that age will play against them in getting a new one. How can job seekers better protect themselves against age bias?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@AARPLynne, you are so right, unfortunately. Here's a few tips that can help: 1) keep in touch and try to consistently grow your network - these are folks who know you and may be able to help you when you are looking for that next opportunity. 2) If you aren't already a lifelong learner, become one. By taking courses and adding them to your resume your demonstrate to an employer your interest in continually improving yourself. 3) Take you graduation dates off of your resume and only go back 15 or so years to jobs that are relevant to the position that's of interest to you. Hope this helps!

Susan Weinstock

Good morning, everyone, thank you for being here this week! @Susan, it would be interesting to have you share some specific tips to help job seekers enhance their professional profile online (and in a resume). What's the best way to demonstrate current skills? 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Look for the keywords in the job that you are applying for and make sure your resume includes those words. So if the job description calls for project management skills make sure you include the term "project management" in your resume and if you have PMP certification, make sure to include that as well. By using these keyword you can demonstrate to an employer that you have the skills they are looking for. Also, make sure that your LinkedIn profile lists these skills. There is a section that is for this type of information, so make sure you fill it in. One important tip on LinkedIn - fill in as much as you can! The more your profile is filled out, the higher you will show up in search results. 

Susan Weinstock

Thanks everyone for tuning in! We'd like to invite you to an upcoming online career expo. This a free event that can help you stay relevant in the changing job market. Our Online Career Expo is a three‑hour, come‑and‑go event where you can get advice on resume writing, learn from a career coach, hear from featured employers, or explore helpful resources, career chats, and sessions on remote work, jobs in demand, improving skills and more. Register today!

Staying Competitive and Relevant for What’s Next

September 30, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET

If this date/time doesn't fit your schedule, register anyway and you’ll be able to access on‑demand webinars, resources, ask questions and search our job board later. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello, 

I have a desire to work remotely since I have been doing so since the beginning of the Pandemic.  I have a Master of Health Administration degree, specializing in Healthcare Leadership.  What kind of opportunities are there for me in the healthcare arena to work remotely with an appropriate salary that matches my degree?  

Best regards,

Anthony D. Reid, MHA

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thank you for your comments and question, @adarnell58. Have you tried the AARP Job Board www.aarp.org/jobs? We have remote work listed there that might help. I would also suggest networking as much as you can. Most people find their jobs through networking, so contact the people you know in this field and ask if they can chat with you about remote opportunities. Hope this is helpful.

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
Contributor

I too have a desire to work some sort of part time job, the problem I am having other participants are a better fit than me or because I am 73 I may be being passed over because of my age. What are your suggestions on how I can get around this perplexing problem?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@DavidM843730, thank you for your question. You may want to participate in our Online Career Expo on Sept. 30. We will have employers participating who are looking for workers. Go here to register: www.aarp.org/onlinecareerexpo

Also, networking is a really important tool to use to get that next position. Take a look on LinkedIn and see who you know that might be able to help or provide some advice. 

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos

Good morning, everyone, thanks for being here! @Susan, to get us started, can you tell us why it's important for workers to explore new skills (or update new ones). And what's the best way to do this without a huge cost?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Good morning and thanks for joining this conversation! We are living longer and we are living healthier, and at the same time, technology is changing the world of work at a rapid pace. That's why becoming lifelong learners is so important. And, side benefit, it keeps your mind active to support brain health. There are lots of great resources out there - later this month AARP will be offering online learning courses and certificates. You may also want to contact your local community college - a great way to learn new skills affordably, and in some cases for free! 

Susan Weinstock
Contributor

Last decade, I organized my resume by utilizing the Resume Wizard. What other language translation apps are helpful for positional work?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks for your question. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but you may want to get a critique of your resume through the AARP Resume Advisor. It's free and you can access it at www.aarp.org/resume

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos

That's great information, thanks, Susan. We'll be sure to include links to more information, when available, for the upcoming online learning courses and certificates.

That brings me to another question. What are some attainable steps a person can take to have an edge over the competition during the job search process?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks Lynne - glad you asked! AARP just posted this article that should be very helpful: 10 Career Moves to Make in Your 50s

Here's #2 on the list: Never Stop Upskilling. New technologies, automation, and other innovations are changing jobs at a rapid clip. The World Economic Forum estimates that half of jobs will be changed by automation over the next decade. And it's essential for employees to keep up with new technologies and practices to remain marketable, says executive coach Bonnie Marcus, author of Not Done Yet! How Women Over 50 Regain Their Confidence and Claim Workplace Power.

"It's important to be proactive — not only to make sure you're current, but to research what some of the future trends are and be ahead of the game,” she says. Look to industry groups, seminars and publications to get a sense of what's to come. LinkedIn Learning and edX offer free courses in everything from coding and computer science to teamwork and strategic thinking."

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos

We're looking forward to getting started on Monday. Please feel free to post a question in advance. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am currently on a Leave of Absence for medical reasons from my full-time job at a national company.  We have been deemed to be suitable for permanent remote employees on my team so we won't be returning to the office.  I am happy about this decision because I think I am more productive working from home.

I'm concerned about returning to work because my medical condition has affected my rate of thinking and processing.  

Is there anything I should be aware of since my manager has recommended I try to get on permanent disability.  I have told her my condition has not yet been deemed to be a permanent condition but I'm feeling a bit of pressure from her.  I have been off work for 3 months at this point.

Thank you for your consideration!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thank you for your question. It seems to me that your doctor needs to be a part of this decision. He/she can determine what would be an optimal decision to maintain your health. Hope that helps. 

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP