Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 3 May 17-23

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 3 May 17-23

Welcome to Week 3 of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 17-23, 2021

This week we are discussing the benefits of an anti-inflammatory diet.  What are your favorite foods or recipes that help stay in sync with anti-inflammatory diets?  Share them here and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 3 topic.  Rules: https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest

AARPTeri
Social Butterfly

@JARitenour  That sounds like a delicious cool summer salad.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am not sure....but I hear gluten free works.  Just very costly...

Social Butterfly

@evamack Yes I've noticed that too.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am gluten free, can you recommend something for me?

Contributor

I have been eating gluten free since 1982 and love baking with gluten-free flours. We should talk!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@JARitenour I've been experimenting with new flours lately because I've had kidney stones.  Going to try a chick-pea flour next.  By the way, welcome to the community!     ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@BriandaL333966 There are oat flours that are gluten free.  They are great for muffin making.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I eat specific fruits and veggies, with my favorites being: cherries, blueberries, spinach and broccoli. 

Periodic Contributor

Teeccino makes a wonderful dandelion turmeric tea that I enjoy on a regular basis. ๐Ÿ˜‹

Periodic Contributor

I follow Adapt Keto by Dr Eric Westman at Duke University - cut the carbs and reduced fats.   Main diet is protein, limited veggies and low fat.  

Regular Contributor

How about olive oil? It gives you a "shiny coat" ๐Ÿ˜

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

AARPTeri:

I'm the oatmeal, cinnamon person with to go along; whole wheat, grains, Cheerios, fruits vegetables, fish oil supplements, olive & canola oils, my Sprouts trail mix yummy!!, fiber cereal, all kinds of beans. still gotta have some beef in there...green tea.

Stay Healthy!!!

Contributor

We think the healthiest vegetable, and the most delicious, is the asparagus that we grow in our own garden. We are eating it with almost every meal and are so happy that spring has finally arrived so the we can enjoy this wonderful vegetable.

Regular Contributor

I chop radishes, tomatoes, avocado & green onions together. Mix into cottage cheese, season with a no-salt seasoning & white pepper. I like this as lunch that's easy to prepare in advance & take with me. Alternatively, season the cottage cheese and spread onto toasted sourdough rounds. Spoon some of the veggie mix over the top. Simple & easy for breakfast, appetizer, snack, etc. 

Contributor

Avocado toast on whole grain bread and oatmeal with dried cherries and cinnamon.

Periodic Contributor

One of my favorite meals is a macrobiotic meal which is anti-inflammatory:  adzuki beans cooked with butternut squash, brown rice sprinkled with gomasio (sesame seeds and sea salt ground together), and Tuscan kale sautรฉed in a little water sprinkled with ume vinegar (which is salty).  SO good!

Contributor

I try to include lots of purple foods as I can. We have fruit plates very often for dinner, and I include dried cherries and blueberries with the fresh fruit.

Periodic Contributor

I have been prepping sheet pan meals with olive oil, and roasted veggies. Cutting out the salt and replacing with herbs works for me.

I agree. I prep the veggies before leaving for work, which makes for a fast and simple meal. I am curious as to what meats you use. We have been roasting veggies mostly with sausage.

Trusted Contributor

Not sure which foods are anti inflammatory but try to get a mix of fresh produce

Contributor

Broccoli Romaine Onions Leeks Brussel Sprouts Mushrooms Peppers love them all 

Contributor

I add turmeric and ginger to anything possible, I love ginger in my ice tea and even plain all by itself

Contributor

Pumpkin Cake with zucchini.   Pumpkin is anti-inflammatory. How to sneak vegetables in.

Duncan Hines white cake mix box.  Follow recipe. Substitute all water and oil (1 1/2 cup ONLY ) with Trader Joe's pumpkin soup (2 cups) in a carton. (Shake your carton before mixing in.)  Mince zucchini to 1 1/2 cups.  (Can add more ? ) Add to batter. Bake per instructions. Makes a dense moist cake. Enjoy. (Can add cream cheese frosting but...)

Periodic Contributor

I add cinnamon and ginger to my oatmeal in the morning. I enjoy drinking turmeric tea. I always look for a blend which includes black pepper in the ingredients since it is needed to activate the anti-inflammatory properties of the turmeric.

Periodic Contributor

Turmeric and tart cherry juice. Both are said to help inflammation so I incorporate them into my diet whenever possible.

Regular Contributor

We use turmeric.. We take the capsules and also use the seasoning in our dishes. My husband mixes it w his mayo for sandwiches. We also use fish oil capsules.

Contributor

Be more aware of what you are eating 

Social Butterfly

I'm nearly vegetarian.  Breakfast:  oatmeal with milk, pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds,  walnuts and blueberries.

Lunch/ Dinner:    either  Smoothie:  milk and yogurt, greens, banana, assorted organic frozen fruit, vegetarian protein powder, seeds and often a few drops of peppermint. 

Or Salad   loaded with greens and veggies, avocado,  cheese and homemade dressing 2:1 ratio of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and maybe some citrus juice.

or homemade bean soup with sandwich   ( veggie-hummus, avocado ) or egg salad substitute avocado for mayo  or Cobb salad:    with greens, beans, corn, hard-boiled eggs,  tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese and a rare treat - a little bacon! 

or pasta   with veggies and green salad.

About once or twice a month I might have a tuna sandwich or some salmon. 

Treats: Brownies   made with black beans   Breakfast bars:   crust is flaxseed, peanut butter and oats, then plain yogurt and topped with berries;   Banana nut or blueberry muffins-   made with xylitol for sugar replacement. ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I follow the Mediterranean diet, shock-full of fresh vegetables and fruits, beans, herbs, plain yogurt. To enhance the anti-inflammatory benefits, I add Turmeric, Cayenne pepper and Cinnamon to many dishes. This way I am starting to like Cinnamon which I have always despised; it sure is an acquired taste and for me a true challenge! Next taste to acquire: durian, the world's smelliest fruit! (May-be.....)

Regular Contributor

This is my go to recipe to boost immunity and reinforce an anti-inflammatory diet. It's called "Turbo Soup" and is a great warm-up on cold days and makes enough to both serve at home and pack up some to give away to an ailing neighbor.

INGREDIENTS: 
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
2 Medium Onions, Finely Diced 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 Large Sweet Potatoes, Diced 1 tsp. freshly Ground Black Pepper
into 1/4 " cubes 16 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach
3 Cans - 15 oz.each Black Beans 8 Cups Chopped Kale
1/3 tsp. Dried Oregano 2 Cups Roasted Chicken Breast
2 1/2 (32 oz. each) cartons low Diced Red Pepper
sodium Chicken Broth 1 T Parmesan Cheese, Optional
DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Sautรฉ onions, 5 minutes. Stir in
remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat:
cover and lightly boil until sweet potatoes are soft, 12-15 minutes.
Makes 8 3-cup servings. Store in refrigerator up to 4 days. Heat before
serving and garnish with 1 T Parmesan Cheese.
Healthy and delicious - if you like greens and sweet potatoes!! 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP