Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 2 May 10-16

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 2 May 10-16

Welcome to Week 2 of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 10-16, 2021

This week we are looking for ways you eliminate foods from your diet!  Tell us what challenges or specialized diets have you used to boost your health?  Low carb, low calorie,no sugar, etc.. and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 2 topic.  Rules:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You guys rock!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

We've gone very low sodium and found it easy to eliminate by making fresh vegetables and main courses rather than buying processed and frozen foods. We've planted herbs and love experimenting with different flavors and new recipes.  We don't miss the salt at all.

Mediterranean diet is great as well as using keto tips

Periodic Contributor

I saw a Ted Talk about eating vegetarian during the week and have mostly stuck to it for the last year. I'm not super-strict, but it has helped me eat better (and better for the planet) without feeling deprived.

Regular Contributor

Can you share a link to that TED talk?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Contributor

Getting new recipes to try makes me excited to start eating healthier, along with not buying junk food. Also find that eating sunflower seeds in a shell occupies my mouth so I’m not eating larger junk foods outside of meal time.

Contributor

I love dark chocolate which in 'moderation' is supposed to be healthy. LOL I don't know what 'moderation' means; if there's chocolate in the house then I can't stop eating it. SO the only way to to control my lack of discipline is to NOT buy it and NOT have it in the house and tell friends and family that I'm allergic to chocolate so that they don't give it to me as a gift.

Regular Contributor

You’re so funny. I relate. I couldn’t ever give it up so I never buy a large bar. I only eat dark chocolate that’s >70% cacao. That may work got you. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have stopped eating junk food for two weeks now and also cut out French fries and unhealthy choices. I’m eating more fruit and veges. 

Regular Contributor

Ray for you!  Keep up the good work. Find some small thing pleasant to you and give yourself that gift weekly or anytime you hang in there with your intention. Be a cheerleader for you. Be kinder to yourself than anyone else. Balance. Eat a forbidden item moderately and very seldom. I eat pretty much everything but not often and small portions. Somehow, that satisfies me for a long time. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am trying to eliminate sugars.  I’ve been successful giving up potatoes and bread Except cornbread that I treat myself with every other week, working on going to once a month, baby steps.  My biggest problem is my sweet tooth ☹️  So I searched online for the best sugar substitute for baking. Found a couple of really good recipes and incorporated nuts and fresh fruit ( mostly Granny Smith apples and almonds). It’s working!  Always drink my water and walk. Not striving to loose weight, just eliminate sugars. However I’ve lost about 2 lbs each week. Know it has to be a total lifestyle change😊

0 Kudos
Contributor

Ive been eating more veggies and cutting down on fried foods and drinking more water. I realized how much I needed this to set my goals for weight loss and be more healthy

0 Kudos
Contributor

I eliminated: meat; fish; poultry; pork; eggs; milk. I try to eat only vegetables and drink only non-sugar/caffeine liquids. 

William W Fernandez, Sr., J.D., Retired Attorney at Law; AARP Safe Driving Instructor/Trainer/Zone Coordinator/WNTT/CarFit Tech in Central Florida/ SDTEK Presenter & Virtual Producer.
0 Kudos

I have found that I needed to really look at what I’m eating and how much. I’ve prepped my meals for the week and it has made a big difference for me. I know each day what and how much I am going to eat. 

0 Kudos

I have learned The power of portion control and that it really does help with weight control. It is okay if I don’t eat everything on my plate in one sitting.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Cheese is my sin! I replace it with herbs and nutritional yeast; the meals are tastier, lighter and healthier. As an occasional treat, I indulge in a good quality Brie; I actually appreciate it more now.  And guess what, I am spending less as well! Isn't it a win-win situation?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have celiac so I have been Gluten Free for over 20 years, yes way before everything was labeled GF.  My good friend son was recently diagnosed at age 27 and we are going to visit him so I made a new recipe for chocolate cookies from Chickpea Flour.  The are the best GF cookies I have ever made! Maple  sugar and dark chocolate help them be healthier then other GF cookies that tend to compensate taste with lots of sugar!  So both of us get to eat a little healthier!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I subscribed to Nutrisystem which I found very convenient to help me select the right foods and control portion size. They also supplied snack options to eliminate food cravings. It was fine for me, but a little tough for my husband who had no diet issues. Since we have been recently diagnosed with borderline hypertension and high cholesterol, I have adapted to the "forks over knives" approach to food buying and preparation.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remove more processed foods from cooking and added more fruits, and lots more veggies.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I made a chocolate cake yesterday that was sugar free and gluten free to help me eat less sugar...

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have used substitutes. As an example, instead of mayonaise spread on a sandwich, I use no fat plain yougurt. in place of shortening in a baked goods recipe, I use applesauce.

Regular Contributor

This is one of the best tools for being healthy. I am eating a modified keto plan due to type 2 diabetes. The plan to follow is the one that fits your unique needs and that you can be compliant with. Great post!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Making sugar a part of the least likely to benefit my diet on a daily basis !

Boddy C
Social Butterfly

If it tastes good to me I know it is unhealthy so I remove it from my diet.  My diet is getting healthier but way blander!  Ugh!

Regular Contributor

What? You must not cook. Good healthy food is not bland. Come to dinner. I’d love to to show of the deliciousness of my food. 

Contributor

I joined Weight Watchers again, to help me make more healthy choices and take some pounds off my arthritic knees.  I have a terrible sweet tooth, but have found choosing fewer processed sweets and focusing on fruit has curbed my donut craving.  

Contributor

I'm using weight watchers as a guide to limiting portions and paying close attention to how much hidden sugar and fat there is in processed foods.

Trusted Contributor

You are right about hidden sugar. That stuff is a killer.

I have tried to wean myself off sugar for years. I don't take much - mainly put some honey in tea, which I'm addicted to. 

Wanjiru Warama
Regular Contributor

I am addicted to tea too. Do we need a group? Tea Addicts Anonymous (TA)? Lol! Thanks for making me smile. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP