Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

AARP Foundation Email

@AARPTeri 

The foundation needs funds!  Why can't we use points to donate and help them?

Redeeming points for donations to the AARP Foundation should have been a top priority before the rollout of AARP Rewards.

OK, AARP has dropped the ball, so now give this issue the attention it deserves.  The beginning of an email from the Foundation that I just received follows, now let's help them.  Of course, we can give them money personally, but, many of us expect to be able to donate points as well.

A reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

SUBJECT: Before Thanksgiving...

001 Foundation Email.JPG

AndrewToo
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Andrew I will continue donating the max number of points monthly also, when we have that option.

We can screenshot receipt ot print, and it's tax-deductible.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Trusted Contributor

Marylin,

How do you determine the tax deduction for points or does the Foundation do that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Before I would donate points which I am willing to do, I would like to know why the Foundation needs money.  I would also like some assurance of what the money is actually being used for and who (not by name) it is helping.  The way this new Rewards program is going, I would be reluctant to just blindly donate points. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

If anyone doesn't trust AARP to transfer donated funds to the AARP Foundation, then, maybe, don't donate points?  We can't donate points yet, but, I will be sure to donate them when the option is available.  In the past, we have recieved an email confirmation of the donation to the Foundation, but it could be a fake confirmation Smiley Surprised, not likely.

From the body of AARP Email dated 11/14/19:

GOAL: $200,000
Help seniors in need >>

For many of us, the holidays are a time to gather with family and friends. To share meals, spend quality time and exchange gifts together.

But for millions of seniors, Harold, this is the hardest time of year. Instead of seasonal celebrations, they face loneliness, financial worries and hunger.

The good news? You can help them with a charitable gift right now.

Before Thanksgiving, we’re challenging our supporters to raise $200,000 to help the most vulnerable ...

Donate $18

Donate $27

Donate $63

Here’s why this goal is so important and why we must act now:

• 1 in 7 seniors live in poverty.
  • Over 10 million older adults face the threat of hunger.
  • In 2020, the number of seniors that need the life-changing assistance of AARP Foundation will increase.

If we reach this ambitious funding goal, we can make huge strides in reaching these vulnerable seniors, by helping provide food, resources and opportunity. Every dollar you give today could help lift a senior in need out of hunger and into a healthier, brighter future.

Together we can reach, assist and uplift those who need our help the most this holiday season. Make a tax-deductible donation to AARP Foundation, AARP’s charitable affiliate, today!

Your voluntary support will help us meet this goal and end the epidemic of senior hunger in our nation.

Thank you,

The AARP Foundation Team

---------------------------------------End of Email-------------------------------------------------------

AARP Foundation is a charity organization.

Also, 81% of AARP Foundation's functional expenses are to provide programs.  All management, general and fundraising costs are covered in the other 19%.  The link to the Foundation's published annual report is found here https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/aarp_foundation/2019-pdf/AARPFoundation-2018-Annual-Report.pdf...

"AARP Foundation receives funding from multiple sources, including public support,
grants and AARP. Eighty one cents of every dollar the Foundation spends goes to
our important programs and services to improve the quality of life for vulnerable older
adults in your community across the country." AARP Foundation 2018 Annual Report, pg 22.

AndrewToo
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Congratulations on finding that information and posting a screenshotHeart

@AARPTeri  let us help with all these points we have for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  That goal can be met in (1) day without the limits.  Answer please, can some up front work take place instead of behind the scenes which isn't yielding any results.

Thanks,

@mi4090 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP