Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

• cm68697417

I know many people feel powerful about their dads, but my dad is truly my hero. Never has there been a more selfless man. He is 84-years young and lives with me now in my little condo, but he has amazing fortitude, faith, care, kindness and intelligence that is second to none. I have four siblings; My two brothers are now deceased, the oldest dying from Leukemia at 26-years old, and my second oldest brother dying at 19-years old from Cardiomyopathy. My two sisters have chosen to lead different paths and no longer keep touch with the very person that gave them every possible tool to understand where love really reigns. My mother has been deceased since 1992, but my dad has never stopped believing in right, in doing for others, in leading by example, in loving through agreement and disagreement. He worked over 40-years in the auto factories, he rarely if ever took a sick day and to my recollection had gone on vacation a whopping four times; counting from his childhood. If he was laid-off from work he found more work, when each of my brothers became seriously ill he found two and three jobs, and when my mother died he was the only one still giving. He isn't a hero to others, he isn't a hero because you would recognize his name, he is a hero because he never gives up, he never gives in, he serves others quietly, and he has a backbone of faith and determination that has forever impacted my life, my children's lives, and those that know and love him. I think my dad is the most amazing super hero that has ever graced our world.