My New Year's Resolution is to start a support group for those who have lost someone to suicide and need to grieve and share their experiences. My Mother took her life due to major depression 18 years ago, so I have first hand knowledge of this devastating tragedy. This would benefit my town and surrounding areas.
Comments

Helping anyone is wonderful, but the fact that you want to help someone that has lost a loved one to suicide is fantastic!  My son tried to commit suicide when he was young.  I was devastated, and my depression got worst.  I tried to help him in every way I could.  It does help to have a friend or anyone support you when this happens, and it helps to feel that some things can't be controlled by anyone.  We all want to help those with depression, but sometimes just showing you care is everything to them!

Thank you for sharing your story. I do not have any professional training, but know from self experience it helps to be able to talk to someone who has gone through the same experience. Or just be there to listen, lend a shoulder to cry on, or hold a hand. I have a strong feeling that this needs to be my passion and be a warrior in the healing process.

I am new to this communication forum. I lost my husband to a self inflicted gunshot to the chest this past March, I am a trauma nurse, I got to him within split seconds after the shot, but there was nothing I could do to save him.  The emotional trauma, the self doubt, the endless questions will continue. But, I have a strong faith and spirituality that gets me through.  Our Father knows the lessons in life we need, and places events in our pathway to provide those lessons. We have signed up for this life before our birth, and while we can alter some events, the outcome is going to be he same.  

So, with that in mind, I have forgiven my husband for causing me the emotional trauma.  I did my best to help him daily, but I couldnt see his internal darkness, or fight his depression battle for him.  While we always believe our spouses will be with us for the rest of our lives, one of us typically has to go first.  So, I am honored that he chose me to be with him for the rest of HIS life.  I am blessed to have loved such a wonderful man, and to have been loved by him.  My memories will have to carry me to the end of this life, where I feel sure we will be together again.  I feel him, smell him, sense him around me almost daily. He is only gone from the physical world, and when my time comes to go, he will be here offering his help, guiding me to the next level.  

I hope these words can offer comfort to anyone who has lost a loved one. Grief takes as long as you need it to take, there are no short cuts. Honor your loved one by allowing yourself to heal at your own pace.

AARP Terms of Service
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.