cd73769427

After attempting several times to quit smoking (44 years), I am 10 days smoke free and really don't even miss it.  In fact, after the last attempt and subsequent failure, my self-esteem plummeted because I internalized the failure.  It became such an unconcious habit to stop and buy two packs ever three days to last a week (I had cut down from a pack a day from all the other attempts) and I challenged myself to follow through this time. 

Watching my mother and my sister die from COPD and emphysema didn't make me quit, but having my first grandchild two years ago has given me more incentive because I want to see him graduate high school and college.  He is the apple of my eye and I will do whatever is necessary to avoid negatively influencing his health.

After this is conquered, my intention is to socialize more and work on weight loss/exercise.  At 58, it is time for a change and this is my year of abundance!

Comments
patsykelly

Congratulations on your decision. I consider quitting smoking one of my greatest accomplishments, a gift to myself.  I've been smoke free for more than 25 years after being a 3-pack a day smoker. My impetus as the time was that they were making my building at work smoke-free and I would have to go to the street, 25 feet from the building, to smoke. I didn't want to be a pariah. Currently, there are only four people in the building that I see regularly, standing outside in rain and snow to smoke. It's sad. And I am thankful every day to be a former smoker. Good luck. Once you beat smoking, you'll know you can tackle your weight too. It's a confience builder. Let us know how you're doing.

lynnempow

Congratulations--My 50th birthday present to myself (first & foremost reason) & to my family, was to quit smoking. My husband, also a heavy smoker, & he and I were at about 2 1/2 packs daily each! We both coughed & hacked each morning. I finally decided I had enough. I started smoking outside only, then tried lighting up & only taking a few drags off that thing, befoe putting out. Yep, kicked the habit (I have to say I tried many times before, but this timeI really wanted to do it for me--not someone else sayign I should). That was September 2000. My husband also quit smoking that year just about the same time. He was so proud. By 2007 Christmas he had passed away from lung cancer.  He never regretted quitting, only that he had not done it sooner.

ls43022095
Congrats...I too have recently kicked the habit again..hopefully for the last time...the 1st time I quit was for 9 yrs...I no why on earth would I go back to it after that long??? Not really sure my self. But...I did. This time I have made it a month and I must say its one of the hardest things I've done in a long time. I do miss it but its for the best. I lost my mom, 2 sisters and afraid it might take my life if I keep going the way I was. COPD runs in my family and I decided it was time to quit while I was ahead.
AARP Terms of Service