Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

145StreetJam

My New Year's resolution is to complete editing my memoir and engage a publisher.

0 Kudos
Comments
beckoncall62

I am currently writing a book about my experience with growing up with a rare metabolic disease called Phenylketonuria. My goal is to finish it and get it published by December 2016. 

shellywmf

I can relate to beckoncall62 and 145StreetJam's goals of completing their books and getting published. 

I would like to share my writing experience with both of you as I have had over 2 dozen short stories published in National Magazines and e-published 2 books in the early days of e-books.

It is better to engage an "Agent"  not a publisher.  If you send your book to a publishing house, without them asking for it, your book will either end up in a slush pile that assistant editors will get to when they don't have a manuscript to read--or will be directly thrown out.

An agent will help you get your foot in the door, and you will have a better chance of having your book read and to be offered a contract.

Good Luck to both of you!!

bg37926735

My experience has been different.  I never send an entire manuscript, as most publishing houses do not want that.  Each has their own publishing guidelines, which you must follow and even then they may not be interested.  Many ask for chapter summaries, and one or two completed chapters at most. It truly is a grueling job trying to get published, but I have now had 4 books published by 3 different publishing companies.  Paying an agent seems counter productive, as does paying a publicist.  I have had offers from both.  What I have discovered in my 11 years of writing and trying to get published is that it is almost impossible these days to get a novel published - fortunately for me, my books were not novels.  You might want to consider checking out my books on Amazon.

This is my most recent book and it is seeing tremendous sales, so far.

Connolly, Olive, and Tuohey have taken the ancient theme of coming of age and given it new and unique life...The boys homes are so full of loss and dysfunction that they find the rigidly austere but ordered life of the seminary a welcome safety and comfort--though in this rarefied atmosphere they are also growing up, lending ears to a siren song calling from the outside world. The alternating narrators compliment each other and work as different lenses and mirrors through which the same story is seen. Richly detailed, at times deeply dramatic, and at times humorous or darkly ironic, this memoir is immensely readable, and will fascinate not only readers with a Catholic background but any who can identify with the elusive quest for self-esteem, respect, and the ability to forgive and move on in life which is just about everybody. James Tipton, PhD., author of Annette Vallon, A Novel of the French Revolution; SF Chronicle Bestseller 

Compelling, plain-spoken account of growing up in 1950 s America. Haunting and beautifully-written. William Klaber, author of The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell 

AARP Terms of Service