Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 81 of 9,753 (977 Views)

I have been reading (re-reading some) the books of Tana French

Currently  The Likeness..    

love her books!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 82 of 9,753 (1,058 Views)

Last night,I finished reading "The Magnolia Story" by Chip&Joanna Gaines,stars of the HGTV show'Fixer,Upper'.The couple are so down to earth, very thankful for everything that has come into their lives. If you love their show as much as I do,I highly recommend the book Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 9,753 (1,129 Views)

@doglover52 - I'm a fan of Chip & Joanna Gaines, and "Fixer Upper" too. I've been told by a house-flipper I know, that they're much better at what they do, than the "Flip or Flop" series with the couple that's uncoupling .. Tarik & Christina. I didn't realize the Gaines had written a book; I do wish they'd spread out a little beyond Waco.

I attended a 1/2 day workshop at the county community college a few weeks ago, on "Your Second Act". One of the speakers was Ashton Applewhite, a writer & anti-ageism advocate .. and she was an entertaining speaker. So I bught her book, "This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism," and am reading it now. Well, the book is a little more serious & detailed, and not as entertaining, as listening to her speak. I also don't agree with all of her theories, and think that some of them are contradictory. Although I'll finish reading it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it .. except if someone wants to get it at the library & just browse.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 84 of 9,753 (996 Views)

The book I'm about to start is "The Magnolia Story" by husband and wife Chip&Joanna Gaines.They have a very popular show on HGTV called "Fixer/Upper'. I became 'hooked' on this show about a yr ago. They show clients mostly run down houses in Waco,Texas,then they transform them into beautiful homes. Joanna is the interior designer,Chip does the construction. The before/after is truly amazing what they do to these homes.They have 4 kids,Duke,Drake,Ella,Emmie who viewers see briefly in each episode,book is dedicated to them. I gave this book to my close friends,Marcia&Dave for Christmas not knowing I was going to get a copy too. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 85 of 9,753 (1,012 Views)

I didn't finish the last book I read "Razzle,Dazzle" History of Broadway by Micheal Reidel because it was too long at 402 pgs. I did enjoy reading most of it,my attention span started to fade.

The book I'm reading now is "The Muralist" by B.A. Shapirio. Its the story of a young woman,Danielle Abrahms who works at Christie's auction house. She uncovers paintings hidden under well known  Abstract Expression paintings by Rothko,Pollock. She,begins to wonder if the  paintings were done by her great aunt who was a painter in the 40's in NYC,and disappeared.

I really enjoyed the author's last book,"The Art Foger",hope this one is as good Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 9,753 (1,020 Views)

I didn't finish reading'Beyond Justice" because the author rambled on too long,some of the cases he took on were interesting,then it was boring.

I'm about to start"Razzle Dazzle,The Battle of Broadway" by Michael Riedel,history of Broadway theatre in the 70's-80's. The author is the theatre critic for the NY Daily Post

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 87 of 9,753 (1,024 Views)

I am reading The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory, historical fiction about Katherine Parr.  I am familair with the history but this is a very relaxing book, well written as most of Gregory's books are.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 88 of 9,753 (1,019 Views)

The book I've just started is "Just Mercy:A Story of Justice and Redemption" by Bryan Stevenson. I had read a review in the NYTimes Book section,sounded interesting.

The book is the author's memoir when as a young lawyer he takes on cases to help the poor,oppressed who have been wrongly convicted of crimes they never committed. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 89 of 9,753 (1,045 Views)

Last night,I finished reading "A Carlin Home Companion" by Kelly Carlin,George's daughter.

I knew he had heart problems throughout his life,had 3 heart attacks,the last one killed him. I think his coke and pot habit certainly didin't help. Kelly's mom,Brenda loved to drink,smoke pot,but she got clean&sober the last yrs of her life. She died in '97.

As for Kelly she had a ring side seat watching her parents,she also had a drug problem,finally got her act together,learned how to grow out of her father's shadow. She has a masters degree in counseling psychology,has written for TV/film/stage. I enjoyed the book. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 90 of 9,753 (1,100 Views)

Last night,I finished reading"The Violinst From Venice" by Alyssa Palombo,took me 3 days to finish.A terrific debut novel for this author.My only complaint,too long at 443 pgs,I do recommend the book.

I'm about to start reading"A Carlin Home Companion:Growing Up With George" by Kelly Carlin,George's daughter. I'll be interested to learn what  her childhood was like having a famous&very funny comedian as a father. I'm sure she'll mention the dark side of his personality. It boggles my mind George left us in 2008. Sue