Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 71 of 9,753 (909 Views)

I got halfway thru Brian Wilson's memoir,but stopped,Brian isn't a good writer,became boring .

I saw the movie"Love and Mercy' in '15,which is a bio of his life. I liked the movie better than his book Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 72 of 9,753 (927 Views)

The book I'm reading now is another memoir  called "I Am Brian Wilson" with Ben Greenman. Brian is the co-founder of the successful 60's singing group,"Beach Boys' with his 2 late brothers,Carl,Dennis,cousin Mike Love and childhood friend,Al Jardine.He wrote most of the group's hits,one of my all time favorites is "God Only Knows". In the book,Brian explains in his own words what happened when he couldn't perform on stage with the group in the 70's. The mistake of hiring Dr Eugene Landy who 'controlled' and misdiagnosed what his problem was,how Brian recovered with help from his 2nd wife,Melinda and his family. Sue 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 73 of 9,753 (953 Views)

I just finished reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W.Bruce Cameron which was wonderful.Some parts of the book made it into the movie of same name which I loved,any dog lover would enjoy this book

Next up is a memoir by actor,Bryan Cranston "A Life in Parts".I've liked him ever since he costarred with Jane Kaczmareck in TV show'Malcolm in The Middle" '00-'06 Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 74 of 9,753 (948 Views)

I'm now reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron which is the basis of the movie which I saw a week ago,loved it.

The book is narrated by the dog,Bailey{same for the movie} he is reincarnated a couple times as different breeds of dogs,his observations on humans. I'll be interested to see if the book is just like the movie. The author has written 4 other dog books. Sue

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 75 of 9,753 (927 Views)

@ASTRAEAI had requested Why Isnt My Brain Working from the library  and did read through it but not thoroughly.  My reading has slowed down quite a bit and it takes me 6 weeks to read a book! 

I am enjoying Suffer and Grow Strong as much of it takes place close to home or places I have seen.  I find inspiration reading about women and how they coped with adversity in times gone by.

vita umbratilis
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 76 of 9,753 (957 Views)
I am thankful to have just finished, "This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism". I heard the author speak about a month ago, and she was very entertaining, so I bought her book. However reading it, I found some of it contradictory, and didn't agree with some of her conclusions .. but I did want to finish it. Now I'm going back to "Why Isn't My Brain Working" by Datis Kharrazian. It's a fascinating book about how diet & lifestyle not only affect how well our bodies function, but our brain as well. I've borrowed it from a friend, but decided I wanted my own copy to annotate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 77 of 9,753 (947 Views)

I am reading Suffer and Grow Strong, the Life of Ella Gertrude Clanton Thomas by Carolyn Curry.   This is a biography based on this lady's journals which begin around age 14.  She was born in 1834 to a wealthy family, lived through the Civil War & became an advocate for women in her later years.  Quite interesting.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 9,753 (977 Views)

I finished reading"Hidden Figures' by Margot Lee Shetterly,took me 2 days. The book gives detailed backgrounds of the 3 ladies featured in the movie,Dorothy Vaughan,Mary Jackson,Katherine Johnson which I found interesting. There are a couple scenes in the book which were in the movie. I recommend the book if you don't plan to see the movie. Sue

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 9,753 (1,010 Views)
We saw the movie a couple days ago. Liked it a lot.

:-)
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 80 of 9,753 (1,003 Views)

I'm reading "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly,untold true story of group of black mathematicans known as 'human computers'. They worked in Langly,VA in the 60's for NASA,helped put Alan Shepard and John Glenn into space.

I saw the movie which is terrific and based on this book. The author's father worked at NASA from '64-'04 as climate research scientist. He worked along side the 3 women featured in the movie,Dorothy Vaughn,Mary Jackson,Katherine Johnson.Katherine is still alive at age 98.

The author grew up in Langly,VA where she knew many of the woman depicted in the movie Sue