The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 51 of 9,769 (1,080 Views)

The book I'm reading now is  "Be Frank with Me" by Julia Claiborne Johnson,a debut novel. This is another recommendation from summer reading list I mentioned previously

The story is about a literary legend,MM Banning who wrote her only novel "Pitched" when she was 19,it won Pulitzer,National Book Award. She's a recluse,living in a glass house in Bel Air,CA,with her 9 yr old son,Frank who is very smart,likes to wear 1930's clothing.MM has lost all of her money via a POnzi scheme needs to write another book.Alice Whitley,age 25, works as an editorial assistant,her boss sends her to help Banning with 2nd book. What I've read so far is funny,delightful Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 9,769 (1,063 Views)

I am reading Vivaldi's Virgins  by Barbara Quick.  Much to learn about the culture & times of Vivaldi and a very entertaining way to do it. 

@doglover52  This is a great follow up to The Violinist of Venice.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 9,769 (1,087 Views)

This morning, I finished reading'Before The Fall' by Noah Hawley. I figured out who the 'bad guy' was with 150pgs left to read.,I recommend this suspenseful thriller,even though its a tad too long at 390pgs. The author created the TV show "Fargo' based on the Coen brothers movie of same name

Message 54 of 9,769 (1,115 Views)

@doglover52  Another great sounding book Sue.  You are on a roll as far as book recomendations for me!

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 9,769 (1,073 Views)

I'm a member of a local independent bookstore here in the city. Every summer they come out with a list of recommendations from other independent booksellers around the country of books to read either for a book group or individual.,mostly in paperback.There is the top 10 selections,other categories included are memoirs/mysteries/history etc. I try to read some of the books which sound interesting to me. The last book I read"Lab Girl' by Hope Jahren was on the list,took me 3 days to finish,was good

The book I started yesterday is"Before The Fall" by Noah Hawley,can't put it down. The story is about a multi millionaire media guy,along with his wife&daughter,and others died in a plane crash. The only survivors are their 4yr old son,JJ and a painter,Scott who saves the boy and swims miles in the ocean to shore,what happens to them afterwards. Sue

Message 56 of 9,769 (1,021 Views)

@doglover52  Sounds good Sue.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 9,769 (1,017 Views)

Yesterday afternoon,I finished "Lad Girl" by Hope Jahren which I really enjoyed.A fast paced book, made me look at trees/flowers/seed in a different way. Hope and her lab partner,Bill have been working together for 20yrs,he's a character in his unique way.

Hope has a Ph.D in paleobiology from Univ of Cal-Berkeley,has 3 Fulbright awards,is one of 4 scientists,only woman to win the Young Investigator Medals in earth science. She has been pursuing independent research in paleobiology since '96.She and her husband,Curt&son live in Hawaii.

I  recommend the book,filled with humor Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 9,769 (1,008 Views)

@LaDolceVita Hey,LVD,thanks for your kind words about the books I read.

I don't turn on the TV most nights until 9pm ,there really isn't anything worth watching unless I've circled a show in TVGuide.If I'm reading a good book,I lose track of time altogether.

I've kept a journal of all the books I've read since 1990,its interesting to see what've I read over the years. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 9,769 (915 Views)

@ksales Hi,also want to welcome you back,we need all the posters we can get to keep this group going. Its too bad the'powers that be' changed the website to make it more difficult than before. Sue

Message 60 of 9,769 (894 Views)

@ksalesWe have lost most of our members here for the same reason.  I did hear that Edie is not well.  It is a shame & it seems impossible to build our membership.  I am a creature of habit so I just keep plugging along!

vita umbratilis