Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 41 of 9,769 (1,073 Views)

@p260329s Hi ,welcome to this group,thanks for posting about the books you are reading.

I read "The Kite Runner' in 2005,loved the book. In 2014, I had a tough time reading his book'And The Mountains Echoed',didin't finish it. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Info Seeker

Message 42 of 9,769 (989 Views)

Definitely will check this out. Thanks!

Info Seeker

Message 43 of 9,769 (983 Views)

Two, actually! "Girls Like Her" by Pam Stone. It's a family drama that pivots around the main character who is about to turn 70 and makes a monumental announcement at her birthday party-- won't tell you what it is, that would spoil it. It is set in Asheville, NC, and just so relatable on many levels. I loved the family, their flaws, their relationships with one another and the loves in their lives...just a super read that is fast paced and left me glued to it after the first page. Really inspiring for those of us who think maybe there are expiration dates on dreams.

The other is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I've always thought Afghanistan, before the terrible violence, would have been a fascinating place to visit. This book focuses on the lives of two men, who knew each other from childhood, one the servant of the other, and it is a poignant read, heartbreaking in places, and extremely thought provoking. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 9,769 (907 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm reading is "The Art of Rivalry:4 Friendships,Betrayals and Breakthroughs in Modern Art" by Sebastain Smee.

The author describes in detail how 4 pairs of well known painters became friends/admired each other's work,jealousy/ambition They are:

Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas

Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso

Willem De Koonig and Jackson Pollock

Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud{grandson of Sigmund}

In college,I took a required course to get my Assocate's Degree. The book we used was "The History of Modern Art",ever since then I like reading about different painters. I recognize all these names.  Sue

@doglover52 This sounds like a book I would like to read. 

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 9,769 (908 Views)

The book I'm reading is "The Art of Rivalry:4 Friendships,Betrayals and Breakthroughs in Modern Art" by Sebastain Smee.

The author describes in detail how 4 pairs of well known painters became friends/admired each other's work,jealousy/ambition They are:

Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas

Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso

Willem De Koonig and Jackson Pollock

Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud{grandson of Sigmund}

In college,I took a required course to get my Assocate's Degree. The book we used was "The History of Modern Art",ever since then I like reading about different painters. I recognize all these names.  Sue

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 9,769 (990 Views)

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant is historical fiction set in Venice.     Despite the title it is not smut, but it does provide  great escape reading and some historical knowledge into the bargain.  

My library system provides us with  Novelist which provides recommendations based on previously read material.  I have been given tons of recommendations in my favorite categories. So many books but so little time.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 9,769 (975 Views)

I finished reading Jimmy Webb's memoir"The Cake and The Rain'. He explains in detail his childhood growing up in Oklahoma in the mid 40's with his 4 siblings.His father was a Baptist minister,family moved alot,how he got his start  in the music industry as a composer. I recognize some names of background musicians he mentions in the book,they are all well known&respected in the industry

.. When he wrote"MacArthur Park' he had broken up with his childhood sweetheart,Susan,took him 3 days non stop to write it. This is what he says about the lyrics""I began thinking of images from the park,cozy symbols of innocence,like Susan feeding the birds&enticing them in her hands.She was gentle enough to do that. The lunches on the grass,a birthday with a small bought cake that had green icing.A downpour with the two of us footracing through the rain and up the steps in front of her office building.Events and conversations are all real.I wasn't creating a sucker punch for unwary listeners". He wrote the song when he was 21,already had written Glen Campbell,5th Dimension hits by this time.The book ends in the early 1970's.

My only complaint,his detailed drug habits,smoking weed,snorting coke which nearly killed him. Otherwise,I throughly enjoyed the book,it certainly was 1,000 times better than Brian Wilson's memoir which was terrible. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 48 of 9,769 (1,004 Views)

The book I'm about to read is "The Cake and The Rain" a memoir of my favorite tunesmith, Jimmy Webb. I've loved his music/songs since the 60's. He wrote most of Glen Campbell's hits,"Witchita Lineman,By The Time I Get to Phoenix,Galveston'. He has wrote these classic songs for The 5th Dimension,"Up,Up and Away,Paper Cup,Carpet Man.'

The late actor,Richard Harris recorded 2 albums in the late 60's early 70's of Webb's songs'A Tramp Shining',"The Yard Went On Forever"{own both on CD} One of my favorite cuts from"A Tramp Shining' is "Didn't We' along with the classic 7 minute,"MacArthur Park." Webb is a very talented songwriter,he's the only composer who has won Grammys for lyrics/music/orchestration.I own 3 of his CD's. This book starts in the early 50's-70's,this should be good. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 49 of 9,769 (1,095 Views)

Last night I finished "Be Frank with Me' by Julia Clairborne Johnson. The story about a writer,MM "Mimi" Banning who has written only 1 book'Pitched'  at age 19,it won all the book awards,but hadn't written anything else. She has lost most of her money due to a Ponzi scheme,has told her literary agent,Mr. Vargas,she's writing another book. He sends his assistant,Alice to go help Mimi  who lives in Calif with her 9 yr old son,Frank. He is a very smart kid who loves to wear 1930's clothing,but doesn't like to be touched by strangers. Alice certainly has her hands full with him in the beginning,also getting use to Mimi. I sensed Frank maybe autistic with some of the things he does

It took me 3 days to finish,a different book,but I enjoyed it Sue

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 50 of 9,769 (1,123 Views)

I just finished The Dry by Jane Harper, a crime story set in Australia. Highly recomend. Moving on to The Devil in the White City, which I some how missed picking up when it came out in '03!