Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 31 of 9,769 (1,492 Views)

I've just finished reading ,"Giant Of The Senate" by Sen. Al Franken{D,Minn} which I found quite interesting,his sense of humor runs thru the book. He gives in detail what really goes on behind the scenes when he decided to run for Senate in Minnesota in 2007.His opponent at the time,Norm Coleman and other Republicians bashed him every chance they could,never thinking a former TV comedy/satricial writer would win this Senate race,but he did. The race was so close,it wasn't decided until 2 months later. I recommend the book Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 9,769 (1,623 Views)

I'm now reading Sen. Al Franken{D,Minn} latest book "Giant of The Senate". I've always liked him,knew he was one of the orginial comedy staff writers on NBC show"Saturday Night Live". What I've read so far is funny,will be interested to learn how he decided to run for political office,his thoughts about the'idiot in the White House' Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 9,769 (1,634 Views)

Yeasterday I finished 'Truth and Beauty" by Ann Patchett,her memoir about her late friend,Lucy Grealy. Lucy had lost part of her jaw due to childhood cancer when she was 9,had 38 reconstructive surgeries throughout her life to try&fix the problem without much success.

Ann had kept all the letters they wrote to each other during their 20 yr friendship,which she uses throughout the book.She never wavered in her support&love for her friend even though there were many times when she wanted to. I've read&enjoyed Ann's other books,this was ok Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 9,769 (1,758 Views)

The book I started yesterday is "Truth and Beauty" by Anne Patchett,she wrote it in '04.. Its a memoir of her friendship with her late friend,Lucy Grealy.They first met each other in college in '81,they both enrolled at Iowa Writer's Workshop.Their friendship lasted 20 years until Lucy's untimely death in 2002. Patchett is one  of my favorite authors,have read most of her books Sue

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 9,769 (1,775 Views)

I think I'm behind everyone else! But am now halfway through 'The Elephant Whisperer.' And all I can say is wow, wow wow. True story which sometimes actually had me holding my breath...

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 9,769 (1,781 Views)

Last night i finished"The Art of Rivalry:4 Friendships,Betrayals,Breakthroughs of Modern Art" by Sebastain Smee. This was a fascinating book,enjoyed it. The author is art critic for the Boston Globe

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 9,769 (1,800 Views)

Just finished two books by C J Box; Three Weeks to Say Goodbye, and Blue Heaven.  C J Box is a mystery/suspense writer, and I am slowly working my way through all his books.  Sometimes they are a little more violent than I would prefer, but they are otherwise good, especially the Joe Pickett series. Before that I read a suspense novel by Bernard Cornwell, and I have started another one (based on the recommendation of someone who volunteers in the used bookstore), but I am not enjoying it much, so I may just try one of the Sharpe novels instead.  The last really good books I read were A Colony in a Nation, by Chris Hayes, and all of the Louise Penny books (old-fashioned mysteries, not suspense, which get better and better as the series progresses).  Glad to find this forum.  I am a voracious reader, and my name is also Sue, so I will have to be Sue Too. 

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 9,769 (1,566 Views)

You'll laugh at this, but I'm also re-reading a childhood favorite, 'National Velvet.' And you know what? By no means is it a children's book. It is so elegantly written, just nailing such believable, 'working class' characters. How Hollywood could have cast the exquisite Elizabeth Taylor for the film is beyond me: Velvet was a hollow eyed, skinny, buck toothed kid, described by author Bagnold as appearing to look like the model of death as a child. It is utterly believable, despite the fairy tale ending, as well as gritty and unflinching. I never realized how beautifully written it truly was until now...

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 9,769 (1,465 Views)
Thanks Sir
Info Seeker

Message 40 of 9,769 (1,026 Views)

350 church members are reading Civil Rights In My Bones and The People's Lawyer by Attorney for the underdog Julian McPhillips.

He has offered it to us online at no cost and it is enjoyable lawyer fights for the rights of Sr Citizens

I can scan you or email one chapter where a female was working over 35 years and her boss threw her out like garbage and this Attorney came to her rescue and got her the job back pronto

I think your readership will surely enjoys

Thanks  AARP Member Sgt Stanford Mendenhall first responder 911 combat squad leader Irq AARP Member!