Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 31 of 9,753 (782 Views)

I finished reading Jimmy Webb's memoir"The Cake and The Rain'. He explains in detail his childhood growing up in Oklahoma in the mid 40's with his 4 siblings.His father was a Baptist minister,family moved alot,how he got his start  in the music industry as a composer. I recognize some names of background musicians he mentions in the book,they are all well known&respected in the industry

.. When he wrote"MacArthur Park' he had broken up with his childhood sweetheart,Susan,took him 3 days non stop to write it. This is what he says about the lyrics""I began thinking of images from the park,cozy symbols of innocence,like Susan feeding the birds&enticing them in her hands.She was gentle enough to do that. The lunches on the grass,a birthday with a small bought cake that had green icing.A downpour with the two of us footracing through the rain and up the steps in front of her office building.Events and conversations are all real.I wasn't creating a sucker punch for unwary listeners". He wrote the song when he was 21,already had written Glen Campbell,5th Dimension hits by this time.The book ends in the early 1970's.

My only complaint,his detailed drug habits,smoking weed,snorting coke which nearly killed him. Otherwise,I throughly enjoyed the book,it certainly was 1,000 times better than Brian Wilson's memoir which was terrible. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 9,753 (813 Views)

The book I'm about to read is "The Cake and The Rain" a memoir of my favorite tunesmith, Jimmy Webb. I've loved his music/songs since the 60's. He wrote most of Glen Campbell's hits,"Witchita Lineman,By The Time I Get to Phoenix,Galveston'. He has wrote these classic songs for The 5th Dimension,"Up,Up and Away,Paper Cup,Carpet Man.'

The late actor,Richard Harris recorded 2 albums in the late 60's early 70's of Webb's songs'A Tramp Shining',"The Yard Went On Forever"{own both on CD} One of my favorite cuts from"A Tramp Shining' is "Didn't We' along with the classic 7 minute,"MacArthur Park." Webb is a very talented songwriter,he's the only composer who has won Grammys for lyrics/music/orchestration.I own 3 of his CD's. This book starts in the early 50's-70's,this should be good. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 9,753 (903 Views)

Last night I finished "Be Frank with Me' by Julia Clairborne Johnson. The story about a writer,MM "Mimi" Banning who has written only 1 book'Pitched'  at age 19,it won all the book awards,but hadn't written anything else. She has lost most of her money due to a Ponzi scheme,has told her literary agent,Mr. Vargas,she's writing another book. He sends his assistant,Alice to go help Mimi  who lives in Calif with her 9 yr old son,Frank. He is a very smart kid who loves to wear 1930's clothing,but doesn't like to be touched by strangers. Alice certainly has her hands full with him in the beginning,also getting use to Mimi. I sensed Frank maybe autistic with some of the things he does

It took me 3 days to finish,a different book,but I enjoyed it Sue

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 34 of 9,753 (932 Views)

I just finished The Dry by Jane Harper, a crime story set in Australia. Highly recomend. Moving on to The Devil in the White City, which I some how missed picking up when it came out in '03!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 9,753 (895 Views)

The book I'm reading now is  "Be Frank with Me" by Julia Claiborne Johnson,a debut novel. This is another recommendation from summer reading list I mentioned previously

The story is about a literary legend,MM Banning who wrote her only novel "Pitched" when she was 19,it won Pulitzer,National Book Award. She's a recluse,living in a glass house in Bel Air,CA,with her 9 yr old son,Frank who is very smart,likes to wear 1930's clothing.MM has lost all of her money via a POnzi scheme needs to write another book.Alice Whitley,age 25, works as an editorial assistant,her boss sends her to help Banning with 2nd book. What I've read so far is funny,delightful Sue

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 9,753 (876 Views)

I am reading Vivaldi's Virgins  by Barbara Quick.  Much to learn about the culture & times of Vivaldi and a very entertaining way to do it. 

@doglover52  This is a great follow up to The Violinist of Venice.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 9,753 (900 Views)

This morning, I finished reading'Before The Fall' by Noah Hawley. I figured out who the 'bad guy' was with 150pgs left to read.,I recommend this suspenseful thriller,even though its a tad too long at 390pgs. The author created the TV show "Fargo' based on the Coen brothers movie of same name

Message 38 of 9,753 (930 Views)

@doglover52  Another great sounding book Sue.  You are on a roll as far as book recomendations for me!

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 9,753 (889 Views)

I'm a member of a local independent bookstore here in the city. Every summer they come out with a list of recommendations from other independent booksellers around the country of books to read either for a book group or individual.,mostly in paperback.There is the top 10 selections,other categories included are memoirs/mysteries/history etc. I try to read some of the books which sound interesting to me. The last book I read"Lab Girl' by Hope Jahren was on the list,took me 3 days to finish,was good

The book I started yesterday is"Before The Fall" by Noah Hawley,can't put it down. The story is about a multi millionaire media guy,along with his wife&daughter,and others died in a plane crash. The only survivors are their 4yr old son,JJ and a painter,Scott who saves the boy and swims miles in the ocean to shore,what happens to them afterwards. Sue

Message 40 of 9,753 (839 Views)

@doglover52  Sounds good Sue.

vita umbratilis