Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 21 of 9,753 (1,604 Views)

Just finished two books by C J Box; Three Weeks to Say Goodbye, and Blue Heaven.  C J Box is a mystery/suspense writer, and I am slowly working my way through all his books.  Sometimes they are a little more violent than I would prefer, but they are otherwise good, especially the Joe Pickett series. Before that I read a suspense novel by Bernard Cornwell, and I have started another one (based on the recommendation of someone who volunteers in the used bookstore), but I am not enjoying it much, so I may just try one of the Sharpe novels instead.  The last really good books I read were A Colony in a Nation, by Chris Hayes, and all of the Louise Penny books (old-fashioned mysteries, not suspense, which get better and better as the series progresses).  Glad to find this forum.  I am a voracious reader, and my name is also Sue, so I will have to be Sue Too. 

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 9,753 (1,373 Views)

You'll laugh at this, but I'm also re-reading a childhood favorite, 'National Velvet.' And you know what? By no means is it a children's book. It is so elegantly written, just nailing such believable, 'working class' characters. How Hollywood could have cast the exquisite Elizabeth Taylor for the film is beyond me: Velvet was a hollow eyed, skinny, buck toothed kid, described by author Bagnold as appearing to look like the model of death as a child. It is utterly believable, despite the fairy tale ending, as well as gritty and unflinching. I never realized how beautifully written it truly was until now...

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 9,753 (1,272 Views)
Thanks Sir
Info Seeker

Message 24 of 9,753 (836 Views)

350 church members are reading Civil Rights In My Bones and The People's Lawyer by Attorney for the underdog Julian McPhillips.

He has offered it to us online at no cost and it is enjoyable lawyer fights for the rights of Sr Citizens

I can scan you or email one chapter where a female was working over 35 years and her boss threw her out like garbage and this Attorney came to her rescue and got her the job back pronto

I think your readership will surely enjoys

Thanks  AARP Member Sgt Stanford Mendenhall first responder 911 combat squad leader Irq AARP Member!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 9,753 (882 Views)

@p260329s Hi ,welcome to this group,thanks for posting about the books you are reading.

I read "The Kite Runner' in 2005,loved the book. In 2014, I had a tough time reading his book'And The Mountains Echoed',didin't finish it. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 9,753 (797 Views)

Definitely will check this out. Thanks!

Info Seeker

Message 27 of 9,753 (791 Views)

Two, actually! "Girls Like Her" by Pam Stone. It's a family drama that pivots around the main character who is about to turn 70 and makes a monumental announcement at her birthday party-- won't tell you what it is, that would spoil it. It is set in Asheville, NC, and just so relatable on many levels. I loved the family, their flaws, their relationships with one another and the loves in their lives...just a super read that is fast paced and left me glued to it after the first page. Really inspiring for those of us who think maybe there are expiration dates on dreams.

The other is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I've always thought Afghanistan, before the terrible violence, would have been a fascinating place to visit. This book focuses on the lives of two men, who knew each other from childhood, one the servant of the other, and it is a poignant read, heartbreaking in places, and extremely thought provoking. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 9,753 (714 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

The book I'm reading is "The Art of Rivalry:4 Friendships,Betrayals and Breakthroughs in Modern Art" by Sebastain Smee.

The author describes in detail how 4 pairs of well known painters became friends/admired each other's work,jealousy/ambition They are:

Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas

Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso

Willem De Koonig and Jackson Pollock

Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud{grandson of Sigmund}

In college,I took a required course to get my Assocate's Degree. The book we used was "The History of Modern Art",ever since then I like reading about different painters. I recognize all these names.  Sue

@doglover52 This sounds like a book I would like to read. 

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 9,753 (715 Views)

The book I'm reading is "The Art of Rivalry:4 Friendships,Betrayals and Breakthroughs in Modern Art" by Sebastain Smee.

The author describes in detail how 4 pairs of well known painters became friends/admired each other's work,jealousy/ambition They are:

Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas

Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso

Willem De Koonig and Jackson Pollock

Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud{grandson of Sigmund}

In college,I took a required course to get my Assocate's Degree. The book we used was "The History of Modern Art",ever since then I like reading about different painters. I recognize all these names.  Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 9,753 (799 Views)

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant is historical fiction set in Venice.     Despite the title it is not smut, but it does provide  great escape reading and some historical knowledge into the bargain.  

My library system provides us with  Novelist which provides recommendations based on previously read material.  I have been given tons of recommendations in my favorite categories. So many books but so little time.

vita umbratilis