Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 21 of 9,769 (971 Views)

Re Queen of the South - we didn't read the book, but have been watching it on tv and enjoy the show.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 9,769 (918 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

In my previous post, I mentioned the book'God's Hotel",the last almshouse in the country by Victoria Sweet.I ,enjoyed it but  too long 370pgs.

The past couple of weeks I've been reading JD Robb 's futuristic cop books 'In Death' series,{she has written 45 books so far.Robb is an alias for author Nora Roberts}.I was catching up on the ones I hadn't read.I love this series,set in the future yr 2060,,well written with some humor. The same characters are in each book e.g "Lt Eve Dallas,her police partner,Delia Peabody,Eve's mega rich Irish husband,Roarke  and others

The book I'm reading now is another memoir"Then and Now' by Barbara Cook,who passed away last month at age 89.I always liked her and she had a beautiful singing voice. She is best known as a cabaret singer,interperter of composers,Sondheim,Bernstein and others.

.I didn't know she originated the role of'Marian,the librarian" in the Broadway production of"The Music Man" opposite Robert Preston in '57. She won a Tony for her role. The book is fascinating,I recognized many of the entertainment names she mentions. Sue 

Sue  you are really knowledgeable about the author's that you read.  Thank you  for sharing!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 9,769 (911 Views)

In my previous post, I mentioned the book'God's Hotel",the last almshouse in the country by Victoria Sweet.I ,enjoyed it but  too long 370pgs.

The past couple of weeks I've been reading JD Robb 's futuristic cop books 'In Death' series,{she has written 45 books so far.Robb is an alias for author Nora Roberts}.I was catching up on the ones I hadn't read.I love this series,set in the future yr 2060,,well written with some humor. The same characters are in each book e.g "Lt Eve Dallas,her police partner,Delia Peabody,Eve's mega rich Irish husband,Roarke  and others

The book I'm reading now is another memoir"Then and Now' by Barbara Cook,who passed away last month at age 89.I always liked her and she had a beautiful singing voice. She is best known as a cabaret singer,interperter of composers,Sondheim,Bernstein and others.

.I didn't know she originated the role of'Marian,the librarian" in the Broadway production of"The Music Man" opposite Robert Preston in '57. She won a Tony for her role. The book is fascinating,I recognized many of the entertainment names she mentions. Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Info Seeker

Message 24 of 9,769 (812 Views)

I've been reading the Wayside School stories. These are written for YA, but they are funny and entertaining.  My sons loved them when they were growing up, and have fond memories of the stories. So I thought I'd revisit them, and I'm glad I did!

Message 25 of 9,769 (839 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn  It gets lonely in here!  I know you havent stopped reading.  Please share when you get a chanceWoman Happy.

You and Sue are definitely holding this group together : )

No I definitely have not stopped reading.  I do read less because I started riding to work with a friend so I don't have the commuting reading but still enjoy it.  The last of a long list was Queen of the South.  It might have been the reference for the TV series but the book was really good!

https://www.amazon.com/Queen-South-Arturo-Perez-Reverte/dp/0452286549

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 9,769 (682 Views)

@nyadrn  It gets lonely in here!  I know you havent stopped reading.  Please share when you get a chanceWoman Happy.

vita umbratilis

Message 27 of 9,769 (483 Views)

Author Talk-'Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood'  Michael Walker

I want to read this book ..  as soon as I find it!

Nice to see people are still reading over here!!!

Message 28 of 9,769 (814 Views)

I started reading Desiree by Annamarie Selinko.  It is a historical novel about Napoleon and very long, over 500 pages.  I only read a half hour  most evenings so this will take a while.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 9,769 (914 Views)

The book I started today is "God's Hotel:A Doctor,A Hosptial,and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine" by Victoria Sweet.

The author has been a physician at San Francisco's Laguna Honda Hosptial,which is the last almshouse in the country. They take care of people who can't take care of themselves.I always find these memoirs interesting considering I worked at local hospital for 27yrs as a pharm tech Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides

Message 30 of 9,769 (1,491 Views)

I just began reading  UFOs Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record by Leslie Kean.    I listened to a podcast in which the author, an investigative journalist described her experiences  & reasons for writing this book.  I really liked her & I got the book from the library. I have never read a book about UFOs, I really dislike the idea of UFOs.    The is a paperback and the print is too small.  It is taking longer to read but I will persevere for a while.  The book has excellent reviews and I may get a  hardcover when the price drops a bit.  

vita umbratilis