Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: What's everyone reading?A Wilderness Of Mirrors

Message 11 of 9,769 (750 Views)

A Wilderness of Mirrors by R J Kapart a murder mystery about stalking betrayal psychology wealth infidelity sex that lead story line incorporatings to murder available direct from the publisher at www.wildernessink.org Buy the book read the book enjoy the book and tell your friends .R J Kapharts first work of fiction.This intriguing story centers on the lives of Crystal and James Hoffman Outwardly they are a wealthy couple in small Midwest town.Kaphart has crafted a complex and engaging story line incorporating several psychological sexual twists and turns that ultimately end in liberation for some ,death for others and frustration for a hardboiled Detective near the end of his career. Written in an easy to read style.  reviewed by Celestine Behlke 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 12 of 9,769 (819 Views)

vanessat808561 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am currently reading Lie To Me by J. T. Ellison and just finished reading American Fire.

I love to read memoirs, suspense thrillers and Nicholas Sparks novels. If anyone has any reccommendations please let me know.

Thank You,

V A Trafton

Sounds good.  Reading The Sleeping Beauty Killer. Mary Higgins Clark. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

Message 13 of 9,769 (820 Views)

Hello everyone,

I am currently reading Lie To Me by J. T. Ellison and just finished reading American Fire.

I love to read memoirs, suspense thrillers and Nicholas Sparks novels. If anyone has any reccommendations please let me know.

Thank You,

V A Trafton

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 9,769 (863 Views)

gatorgorilla wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

Author Talk-'Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood'  Michael Walker

>>

@nyadrn  I've read "Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood" - it was a fun read - hope you find a copy and thoroughly enjoy it! Smiley Very Happy

I've just finished reading two books about The Bee Gees:  1. "The Bee Gees:  The Biography" by David N. Meyer, copyright 2013.  This book includes the deaths of both Maurice and Robin.  It also includes a good bit about Andy Gibb.  2. "You Should Be Dancing: My Life With The Bee Gees" by Dennis Bryon, copyright 2015.  Dennis Bryon was drummer with The Bee Gees' band for a number of years.  The first portion of his book covers his time/work with other Welsh/British bands, prior to his hooking up with the Gibb brothers.  He, too, writes about Andy Gibb.

I secured a copy of Sue Grafton's latest, "Y Is For Yesterday", from our library, skimmed through a few portions of it, including the closing chapter, and returned the book to the library.  Will try again, in a few months, to read it.  It simply didn't hold my interest like the earlier Kinsey Milhone "alphabet" mysteries did.  Must admit, I am looking forward to seeing what Grafton does with the "Z" book in this series!

I have the two latest books in Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone mystery series, at hand presently, "Someone Always Knows" and "The Color of Fear".  I haven't enjoyed this series as much since McCone married Hy Ripinsky, who is involved in clandestine international intrigue.  But I definitely love roaming San Francisco and surrounding areas with the main characters, and there have been some interesting characters brought on board, either at McCone's agency or in her family circle, over the years.

I'm also keeping up with Bill Pronzini's "Nameless Detective" series - it's great fun being immersed in San Francisco area with one who knows it intimately, and I love Pronzini's style and his detective's "take" on life in general.

(Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini are a married couple, and have written a number of non-fiction books and suspense novels together.)

After the Muller books, I have Daphne DuMaurier's "Jamaica Inn" lined up.  I read it when much younger, so this will be a re-read.

Boy you are zipping right along.  You do great summaries!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 9,769 (862 Views)

@gatorgorilla  Gold star for mentioning multiple books in one post!  Haha ;-).  

I am reading The Egyptian, by Mika Waltari.  There was a Hollywood movie made from the book in 1954.  I am enjoying the book very much, it takes place so long ago that it provides an escape into another world entirely.  Of course that world is not necessarily nice.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 9,769 (1,006 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

Author Talk-'Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood'  Michael Walker

I want to read this book ..  as soon as I find it!

Nice to see people are still reading over here!!!

@nyadrn  I've read "Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood" - it was a fun read - hope you find a copy and thoroughly enjoy it! Smiley Very Happy

I've just finished reading two books about The Bee Gees:  1. "The Bee Gees:  The Biography" by David N. Meyer, copyright 2013.  This book includes the deaths of both Maurice and Robin.  It also includes a good bit about Andy Gibb.  2. "You Should Be Dancing: My Life With The Bee Gees" by Dennis Bryon, copyright 2015.  Dennis Bryon was drummer with The Bee Gees' band for a number of years.  The first portion of his book covers his time/work with other Welsh/British bands, prior to his hooking up with the Gibb brothers.  He, too, writes about Andy Gibb.

I secured a copy of Sue Grafton's latest, "Y Is For Yesterday", from our library, skimmed through a few portions of it, including the closing chapter, and returned the book to the library.  Will try again, in a few months, to read it.  It simply didn't hold my interest like the earlier Kinsey Milhone "alphabet" mysteries did.  Must admit, I am looking forward to seeing what Grafton does with the "Z" book in this series!

I have the two latest books in Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone mystery series, at hand presently, "Someone Always Knows" and "The Color of Fear".  I haven't enjoyed this series as much since McCone married Hy Ripinsky, who is involved in clandestine international intrigue.  But I definitely love roaming San Francisco and surrounding areas with the main characters, and there have been some interesting characters brought on board, either at McCone's agency or in her family circle, over the years.

I'm also keeping up with Bill Pronzini's "Nameless Detective" series - it's great fun being immersed in San Francisco area with one who knows it intimately, and I love Pronzini's style and his detective's "take" on life in general.

(Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini are a married couple, and have written a number of non-fiction books and suspense novels together.)

After the Muller books, I have Daphne DuMaurier's "Jamaica Inn" lined up.  I read it when much younger, so this will be a re-read.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 9,769 (1,129 Views)

This afternoon,I finished Barbara Cook's memoir"Then and Now' a terrific book. .

I knew she was an alcoholic,gave up drinking for good in '77,had weight problems through out her career.  Her only marriage lasted 11 yrs,has a son,Adam

The big surprise was the affair she had with married actor,Arthur HIll. They co-starred in musical"Something More' in '65. Their affair lasted for a couple of yrs,he never left his wife.

Hill starred in one of my favorite lawyer TV shows from the early 70's "Owen Marshall,Counselor at Law'.He died in 2006 age 84

I recommend this book to anybody interested in Broadway musicals,the actors/singers who performed in them Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 9,769 (1,092 Views)

@ksales@wilful I am so glad to see posts here again!  This thread had been my favorite and I hated to lose all the fabulous posters we used to have.  

I am almost finished with Desiree by Selinko.  It is an excellent historical novel from the perspective of the first woman Napoleon was engaged to but did not marry.  She later becomes queen of Sweden, despite her father having been a merchant.

vita umbratilis
Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 9,769 (1,049 Views)

Just finished Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton. I've read the whole series and love them, especially Kinsey and the other regular characters.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 9,769 (1,015 Views)

My latest mystery writer is Lee Child.  I've been reading his Jack Reacher series, starting with the first one  - published in 1997.  He does about one a year and I'm up to about 2011 now.  The main, recurring character Jack Reacher is a no nonesense, black and white, ex-military drifter. I use the Kindle for reading these books.

What is kinda funny to me is that movies have been made about these stories and  Tom Cruise plays the part of Jack Reacher.  Tom Cruise is only 5' 7"  (a little guy) - while Jack Reacher, in the books is 6'5" (a very large guy)!  

Man Happy