The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

[ Edited ]
Message 91 of 9,769 (1,082 Views)

@ASTRAEAI had requested Why Isnt My Brain Working from the library  and did read through it but not thoroughly.  My reading has slowed down quite a bit and it takes me 6 weeks to read a book! 

I am enjoying Suffer and Grow Strong as much of it takes place close to home or places I have seen.  I find inspiration reading about women and how they coped with adversity in times gone by.

vita umbratilis
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 92 of 9,769 (1,111 Views)
I am thankful to have just finished, "This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism". I heard the author speak about a month ago, and she was very entertaining, so I bought her book. However reading it, I found some of it contradictory, and didn't agree with some of her conclusions .. but I did want to finish it. Now I'm going back to "Why Isn't My Brain Working" by Datis Kharrazian. It's a fascinating book about how diet & lifestyle not only affect how well our bodies function, but our brain as well. I've borrowed it from a friend, but decided I wanted my own copy to annotate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 93 of 9,769 (1,101 Views)

I am reading Suffer and Grow Strong, the Life of Ella Gertrude Clanton Thomas by Carolyn Curry.   This is a biography based on this lady's journals which begin around age 14.  She was born in 1834 to a wealthy family, lived through the Civil War & became an advocate for women in her later years.  Quite interesting.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 94 of 9,769 (1,139 Views)

I finished reading"Hidden Figures' by Margot Lee Shetterly,took me 2 days. The book gives detailed backgrounds of the 3 ladies featured in the movie,Dorothy Vaughan,Mary Jackson,Katherine Johnson which I found interesting. There are a couple scenes in the book which were in the movie. I recommend the book if you don't plan to see the movie. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 95 of 9,769 (1,172 Views)
We saw the movie a couple days ago. Liked it a lot.

:-)
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 96 of 9,769 (1,164 Views)

I'm reading "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly,untold true story of group of black mathematicans known as 'human computers'. They worked in Langly,VA in the 60's for NASA,helped put Alan Shepard and John Glenn into space.

I saw the movie which is terrific and based on this book. The author's father worked at NASA from '64-'04 as climate research scientist. He worked along side the 3 women featured in the movie,Dorothy Vaughn,Mary Jackson,Katherine Johnson.Katherine is still alive at age 98.

The author grew up in Langly,VA where she knew many of the woman depicted in the movie Sue

Message 97 of 9,769 (1,140 Views)

I have been reading (re-reading some) the books of Tana French

Currently  The Likeness..    

love her books!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 98 of 9,769 (1,224 Views)

Last night,I finished reading "The Magnolia Story" by Chip&Joanna Gaines,stars of the HGTV show'Fixer,Upper'.The couple are so down to earth, very thankful for everything that has come into their lives. If you love their show as much as I do,I highly recommend the book Sue

Message 99 of 9,769 (1,294 Views)

@doglover52 - I'm a fan of Chip & Joanna Gaines, and "Fixer Upper" too. I've been told by a house-flipper I know, that they're much better at what they do, than the "Flip or Flop" series with the couple that's uncoupling .. Tarik & Christina. I didn't realize the Gaines had written a book; I do wish they'd spread out a little beyond Waco.

I attended a 1/2 day workshop at the county community college a few weeks ago, on "Your Second Act". One of the speakers was Ashton Applewhite, a writer & anti-ageism advocate .. and she was an entertaining speaker. So I bught her book, "This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism," and am reading it now. Well, the book is a little more serious & detailed, and not as entertaining, as listening to her speak. I also don't agree with all of her theories, and think that some of them are contradictory. Although I'll finish reading it, I'm not sure I'd recommend it .. except if someone wants to get it at the library & just browse.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 100 of 9,769 (1,164 Views)

The book I'm about to start is "The Magnolia Story" by husband and wife Chip&Joanna Gaines.They have a very popular show on HGTV called "Fixer/Upper'. I became 'hooked' on this show about a yr ago. They show clients mostly run down houses in Waco,Texas,then they transform them into beautiful homes. Joanna is the interior designer,Chip does the construction. The before/after is truly amazing what they do to these homes.They have 4 kids,Duke,Drake,Ella,Emmie who viewers see briefly in each episode,book is dedicated to them. I gave this book to my close friends,Marcia&Dave for Christmas not knowing I was going to get a copy too. Sue