When Does a Loved One Need Caregiving? Get Answers From AARP’s ‘Family Caregiving Online Series.’ Register Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 91 of 9,777

The book I'm about to start is "The Legends Club:An Epic College Basketball Rivarly" by sports writer John Feinstein. The book is the decade long rivarly  of 3 well know college basketball coaches,late Dean Smith of North Carolina,Jim Valvano coach of N.Carolina State and Mike Krzyzewski coach at Duke.

I have been a UNC 'Tar Heel' basketball fan for yrs,had the utmost respect for late Dean Smith,ditto for late coach Jim Valvano coach at NC State. As for Mike K,never liked him or his team,comes across as arrogant and full of himself.

I've read other books by the author,this will be an interesting read

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 92 of 9,777

I finished Malcolm Nance's timely book'The Plot to Hack America", was published 2 months before the 2016 Presidential election.I liked it& recommend it if you are interesting in learning how the Russians hacked the Dem Party server and others.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 93 of 9,777

Penny Sartori's Wisdom of Near Death Experiences  chronicles her years of study as a nurse in the intensive care unit.  Another person who hooked me with her singular charm in a podcast.  I have been aware of her work for many years but listening to her is what sold the book!  Actually the book was a Christmas gift for my mother but the print is light & not easy to read so perhaps after her next cataract surgery she can attempt it. 

;hoc voluērunt Gaius Julius Ceasar
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 94 of 9,777

The book I'm reading now is "The Plot to Hijack America:How Putin's Cyberspies&Wikileaks Tried to Steal 2016 Election" by Malcolm Nance.Nance is an intelligence/counterterrorism expert who frequently appears on MSNBC and other shows.

He wrote this book during the 2016 Presidential campaign,a very timely book considering what's going on with Trump's ties to Valdimir Putin and Russia. What I read so far is fascinating. Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 95 of 9,777

I got halfway thru Brian Wilson's memoir,but stopped,Brian isn't a good writer,became boring .

I saw the movie"Love and Mercy' in '15,which is a bio of his life. I liked the movie better than his book Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 96 of 9,777

The book I'm reading now is another memoir  called "I Am Brian Wilson" with Ben Greenman. Brian is the co-founder of the successful 60's singing group,"Beach Boys' with his 2 late brothers,Carl,Dennis,cousin Mike Love and childhood friend,Al Jardine.He wrote most of the group's hits,one of my all time favorites is "God Only Knows". In the book,Brian explains in his own words what happened when he couldn't perform on stage with the group in the 70's. The mistake of hiring Dr Eugene Landy who 'controlled' and misdiagnosed what his problem was,how Brian recovered with help from his 2nd wife,Melinda and his family. Sue 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 97 of 9,777

I just finished reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W.Bruce Cameron which was wonderful.Some parts of the book made it into the movie of same name which I loved,any dog lover would enjoy this book

Next up is a memoir by actor,Bryan Cranston "A Life in Parts".I've liked him ever since he costarred with Jane Kaczmareck in TV show'Malcolm in The Middle" '00-'06 Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 98 of 9,777

I'm now reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron which is the basis of the movie which I saw a week ago,loved it.

The book is narrated by the dog,Bailey{same for the movie} he is reincarnated a couple times as different breeds of dogs,his observations on humans. I'll be interested to see if the book is just like the movie. The author has written 4 other dog books. Sue

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 99 of 9,777

@ASTRAEAI had requested Why Isnt My Brain Working from the library  and did read through it but not thoroughly.  My reading has slowed down quite a bit and it takes me 6 weeks to read a book! 

I am enjoying Suffer and Grow Strong as much of it takes place close to home or places I have seen.  I find inspiration reading about women and how they coped with adversity in times gone by.

;hoc voluērunt Gaius Julius Ceasar
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 100 of 9,777
I am thankful to have just finished, "This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism". I heard the author speak about a month ago, and she was very entertaining, so I bought her book. However reading it, I found some of it contradictory, and didn't agree with some of her conclusions .. but I did want to finish it. Now I'm going back to "Why Isn't My Brain Working" by Datis Kharrazian. It's a fascinating book about how diet & lifestyle not only affect how well our bodies function, but our brain as well. I've borrowed it from a friend, but decided I wanted my own copy to annotate!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!