Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 91 of 9,753 (1,141 Views)

@doglover52  I gotta get this Sue!!

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 92 of 9,753 (1,116 Views)

I gave up halfway thru reading Nelson Rockefeller bio, it became boring,too much detailed info for my taste

The book I started yesterday is "The Violinist From Venice:A Story of Vilvadi" by Alyssa Palombo  her debut novel. The story is set in 1700's,a 18yr old girl,Adriana D'Amato secretly is taking violin lessons from virtuoso viloinist&composer,Antonio Vilvadi. I can not put this book down,wonderfully written.It was a birthday gift from my close friend,Marcia. The author is from my hometown,Buffalo,NY Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides

Message 93 of 9,753 (1,099 Views)

Hi and happy Thanksgiving!

I am reading Susannah's Garden   Debbie Macomber

Kind of ironic that it is about a woman dealing with her elderly mother who can no longer live alone as well as dealing with her young daughter who is just trying out her wings and the older mother issue has hit a few of my friends recently.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

[ Edited ]
Message 94 of 9,753 (1,039 Views)

I found Dancing with the Devil in the City of God by Juliana Barbassa on my local library's display shelf during the summer Olympics.  I picked it up for my mother as she was watching the Olympics and I thought she might enjoy delving deeper into Rio de Janeiro.  She raved about the book after reading it so I checked it out from the library again.  It is non fiction, very entertaining, informative and a very readable.  I would like to read more books from this author in the future.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 95 of 9,753 (1,010 Views)

The book I'm reading now is "On His Own Terms:A Life of Nelson Rockefeller" by historian, Richard Norton Smith.

I always liked "Rocky' so far the book is interesting about his family,his upbringing. I don't know if I can get thru 725 pgs,but will give it a try. Sue

Message 96 of 9,753 (1,213 Views)

Hi

I am reading the books of Tara French.  I read one a long time ago and then re-found her by reading The Secret Place which was wonderful imho!     So I am back to reading In the Woods.  

Anyone else enjoy her work?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 97 of 9,753 (1,256 Views)

I have been reading Ahab's Wife by S J Naslund and I am about to give up on it.  It seems the words are getting in the way of the story and there are too many tangents. 

I have also begun The Nature of Alexander by Mary Renault and like it so far.

vita umbratilis
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 98 of 9,753 (1,284 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

I'm reading another memoir"Love,Life and Elephants,An Africian Love Story" by Dame Daphne Sheldrick.This is the author's story of growing up in Kenya raising newborn elephants and help save other Africian animals from certain death.A couple of months ago on PBS, there was a documentary about her. I caught the last 20min  was fascinated by what I saw. The book was published in 2012 Sue

I tried to read this book, but there were aspects of the author's earlier years in Africa that I didn't care for.  I finally put the book aside without finishing much of it.
She has done a lot of good with the little orphaned elephants she & her organization work with, & I much admire that aspect of her life.
Hope you will enjoy the book, Sue, & am glad you were favorably impressed with the 20 minutes of documentary that you viewed.  The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust shows up in African/elephant documentaries from time to time.  DH & I are always touched by, & impressed with, the work they do.  :-)  
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 99 of 9,753 (1,302 Views)

I'm reading another memoir"Love,Life and Elephants,An Africian Love Story" by Dame Daphne Sheldrick.This is the author's story of growing up in Kenya raising newborn elephants and help save other Africian animals from certain death.A couple of months ago on PBS, there was a documentary about her. I caught the last 20min  was fascinated by what I saw. The book was published in 2012 Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 100 of 9,753 (1,322 Views)

I just finished reading actor,Robert Wagner's memoir"Pieces of My Heart". It was a quick read,took me 3 days. I was fascinated by how he started his career, being a caddie to Clark Gable and others at the Bel-Air Golf Country Club. A contract player at Fox Studio when he was 18. A real surprise was the first woman he ever loved&had a 4yr relationship with actress,Barbara Stanywyck.He was 22,she was 45.They remained friends until she died. His 2 mentors in his life were Spencer Tracy and David Niven. I highly recommend the book,it was terrific. Sue