Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 1 of 9,753 (120 Views)

This afternoon,I finished Barbara Cook's memoir"Then and Now' a terrific book. .

I knew she was an alcoholic,gave up drinking for good in '77,had weight problems through out her career.  Her only marriage lasted 11 yrs,has a son,Adam

The big surprise was the affair she had with married actor,Arthur HIll. They co-starred in musical"Something More' in '65. Their affair lasted for a couple of yrs,he never left his wife.

Hill starred in one of my favorite lawyer TV shows from the early 70's "Owen Marshall,Counselor at Law'.He died in 2006 age 84

I recommend this book to anybody interested in Broadway musicals,the actors/singers who performed in them Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 9,753 (181 Views)

@ksales@wilful I am so glad to see posts here again!  This thread had been my favorite and I hated to lose all the fabulous posters we used to have.  

I am almost finished with Desiree by Selinko.  It is an excellent historical novel from the perspective of the first woman Napoleon was engaged to but did not marry.  She later becomes queen of Sweden, despite her father having been a merchant.

vita umbratilis
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 9,753 (217 Views)

Just finished Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton. I've read the whole series and love them, especially Kinsey and the other regular characters.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9,753 (230 Views)

My latest mystery writer is Lee Child.  I've been reading his Jack Reacher series, starting with the first one  - published in 1997.  He does about one a year and I'm up to about 2011 now.  The main, recurring character Jack Reacher is a no nonesense, black and white, ex-military drifter. I use the Kindle for reading these books.

What is kinda funny to me is that movies have been made about these stories and  Tom Cruise plays the part of Jack Reacher.  Tom Cruise is only 5' 7"  (a little guy) - while Jack Reacher, in the books is 6'5" (a very large guy)!  

Man Happy

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 9,753 (237 Views)

Re Queen of the South - we didn't read the book, but have been watching it on tv and enjoy the show.

Message 6 of 9,753 (246 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

In my previous post, I mentioned the book'God's Hotel",the last almshouse in the country by Victoria Sweet.I ,enjoyed it but  too long 370pgs.

The past couple of weeks I've been reading JD Robb 's futuristic cop books 'In Death' series,{she has written 45 books so far.Robb is an alias for author Nora Roberts}.I was catching up on the ones I hadn't read.I love this series,set in the future yr 2060,,well written with some humor. The same characters are in each book e.g "Lt Eve Dallas,her police partner,Delia Peabody,Eve's mega rich Irish husband,Roarke  and others

The book I'm reading now is another memoir"Then and Now' by Barbara Cook,who passed away last month at age 89.I always liked her and she had a beautiful singing voice. She is best known as a cabaret singer,interperter of composers,Sondheim,Bernstein and others.

.I didn't know she originated the role of'Marian,the librarian" in the Broadway production of"The Music Man" opposite Robert Preston in '57. She won a Tony for her role. The book is fascinating,I recognized many of the entertainment names she mentions. Sue 

Sue  you are really knowledgeable about the author's that you read.  Thank you  for sharing!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9,753 (251 Views)

In my previous post, I mentioned the book'God's Hotel",the last almshouse in the country by Victoria Sweet.I ,enjoyed it but  too long 370pgs.

The past couple of weeks I've been reading JD Robb 's futuristic cop books 'In Death' series,{she has written 45 books so far.Robb is an alias for author Nora Roberts}.I was catching up on the ones I hadn't read.I love this series,set in the future yr 2060,,well written with some humor. The same characters are in each book e.g "Lt Eve Dallas,her police partner,Delia Peabody,Eve's mega rich Irish husband,Roarke  and others

The book I'm reading now is another memoir"Then and Now' by Barbara Cook,who passed away last month at age 89.I always liked her and she had a beautiful singing voice. She is best known as a cabaret singer,interperter of composers,Sondheim,Bernstein and others.

.I didn't know she originated the role of'Marian,the librarian" in the Broadway production of"The Music Man" opposite Robert Preston in '57. She won a Tony for her role. The book is fascinating,I recognized many of the entertainment names she mentions. Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 9,753 (263 Views)

I've been reading the Wayside School stories. These are written for YA, but they are funny and entertaining.  My sons loved them when they were growing up, and have fond memories of the stories. So I thought I'd revisit them, and I'm glad I did!

Message 9 of 9,753 (300 Views)

LaDolceVita wrote:

@nyadrn  It gets lonely in here!  I know you havent stopped reading.  Please share when you get a chanceWoman Happy.

You and Sue are definitely holding this group together : )

No I definitely have not stopped reading.  I do read less because I started riding to work with a friend so I don't have the commuting reading but still enjoy it.  The last of a long list was Queen of the South.  It might have been the reference for the TV series but the book was really good!

https://www.amazon.com/Queen-South-Arturo-Perez-Reverte/dp/0452286549

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 10 of 9,753 (307 Views)

@nyadrn  It gets lonely in here!  I know you havent stopped reading.  Please share when you get a chanceWoman Happy.

vita umbratilis