Family Caregivers — You Are Not Alone. Find Support Through AARP’s 'I Heart Caregivers' Initiative. Tune in Tonight!

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 391 of 9,633 (603 Views)

Sally,

I can sympathize with your dilemma.  Two weeks is not very long, and I like to pick up a bunch of books every time I go, in case it is a while before I can go back.  I just found out the other day that our library allows an individual to check out up to 60 books at a time!  That's way more than I can carry!

Jan

Gold Conversationalist

Message 392 of 9,633 (605 Views)
Thank you!
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 393 of 9,633 (631 Views)

We are in the Cuyahoga County Public Library system and it has been highly rated for a long while.  They have been building many new libraries all over the county (to replace some of the older ones.  Just this past week I received an e-mail from them that they are reducing the length of time we can keep books from three weeks to two weeks.  They are also cutting back on the time we can keep DVD's in the same way.  They say that reductions to the library's operating budget prevents them from purchasing material in the same quantities as they have in the past.  This will certainly affect me because  sometimes I have a stack of books lined up to read and I can keep renewing them online unless someone is asking for it.  I'm spoiled!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 394 of 9,633 (2,058 Views)

jgaff55 wrote:
I am in Michigan, in the greater Detroit metropolitan area, but we are a far northern suburb. As it turned out the millage passed by a landslide, and our library is now guaranteed funding for the next eight years. We were worried, because there is a lot of anti tax sentiment here, but apparently my neighbors do want a library. Thanks for the well wishes!

Jan

Congratulations on the successful vote - a landslide, no less!  Happy borrowing and reading wishes to all who use your library Smiley Very Happy 

Gold Conversationalist

Re: re: What's everyone reading? John Adams by David McCullough

Message 395 of 9,633 (2,044 Views)

LDV,

I will also say some prayers for your mother's recovery.

Jan

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What's everyone reading? At Weddings and Wakes, Alice McDermott

Message 396 of 9,633 (2,038 Views)
Sally,

I Love You More sounds like something I might like. I added to my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan
Gold Conversationalist

Message 397 of 9,633 (2,035 Views)

LDV,

The millage passed, so the library won't be closing.  The scariest part was that all of the surrounding communities were saying that they did not want to issue cards to our residents.  Here in Michigan we have reciprocal library agreements, but if your community does not have a library to reciprocate with, most libraries will not let you take out books.

Jan

Gold Conversationalist

Message 398 of 9,633 (2,036 Views)
I am in Michigan, in the greater Detroit metropolitan area, but we are a far northern suburb. As it turned out the millage passed by a landslide, and our library is now guaranteed funding for the next eight years. We were worried, because there is a lot of anti tax sentiment here, but apparently my neighbors do want a library. Thanks for the well wishes!

Jan
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 399 of 9,633 (2,049 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

I got three quarters of the way thru Khaled Hosseini's latest book"And The Mountains Echoed",couldn't finished it. When I first started,couldn't put it down, became too confusing. Oh,well, I enjoyed his other books.

The book I've started today is a memoir"Riding The Bus With My Sister,A True Life Journey" by Rachel Simon,which came out in 2002 The book is about the author's younger sister,Beth who is mentally challenged.She lives by herself has a boyfriend,one day she loses her job. She begins to spend her days riding the different buses in the PA city she lives in. Over time the bus drivers become her mentors,the other passengers she meets become her friends. Beth invites Rachel to join her for a yr on her bus journey,this is what the book is about. I like reading memoirs,this sounded fascinating. Sue

Sue,  Back in 2005 there was a movie on TV, based on this book. Rosie O'Donnell played Beth. It was a good movie;  the storyline kept my attention throughout. Hope you enjoy the book - sounds like a good read . Pam

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 400 of 9,633 (2,055 Views)

I got three quarters of the way thru Khaled Hosseini's latest book"And The Mountains Echoed",couldn't finished it. When I first started,couldn't put it down, became too confusing. Oh,well, I enjoyed his other books.

The book I've started today is a memoir"Riding The Bus With My Sister,A True Life Journey" by Rachel Simon,which came out in 2002 The book is about the author's younger sister,Beth who is mentally challenged.She lives by herself has a boyfriend,one day she loses her job. She begins to spend her days riding the different buses in the PA city she lives in. Over time the bus drivers become her mentors,the other passengers she meets become her friends. Beth invites Rachel to join her for a yr on her bus journey,this is what the book is about. I like reading memoirs,this sounded fascinating. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides