Info Seeker +

Re: What's everyone reading?

Message 401 of 9,647 (548 Views)

I read "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown about a month ago.  It was a fascinating book that read like a novel.  He talks about the lives of the young men who lived in Seattle during the Depression.  

Another book that I just finished is the "Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust" by Edith Beer.  It is an amazing story of how a young Jewish woman hide among the enemy.  Jean

Topics: 0
Kudos: 2

Re: What's everyone reading? RAGE AGAINST THE DYING

Message 402 of 9,647 (562 Views)

Well, I have a new heroine and a new series. I just finished this debut novel, RAGE AGAINST THE DYING, and can't wait for the next, which won't be out until January, I believe. What an intriguing protagonist! She's a 59-year-old former FBI special agent trying to live a quiet life as a newlywed  but gets involved in a crime related to one of her old cases. What a wonderfully unique person she is. I love her character's "voice". The storyline wasn't even vaguely similar to any other thriller I've ever read; it was unpredicatable, uncliched, etc. The writing is crisp and clear. It's so rare to read a good book with a heroine of this age who is strong, smart, and independent, and yet so human in many ways. I highly recommend this book--RAGE AGAINST THE DYING by Becky Masterman.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 403 of 9,647 (572 Views)

The book "The Ocean at The End of The Lane" by Neil Gaiman is only 180pgs. The story is about a man who comes back for funeral in his childhood village in England. His house is gone,he walks to the farm at the end of the road where at age 7 he met a unusual girl,Lettie. The book is about that experience..It was ok,it has received rave reviews.

The book I'm about to start is "The Boys in The Boat" by Daniel James Brown. Its the true story of the Univ of Washington's rowing team who competed at the 1936 berlin Olympics. I love history this sounds fascinating. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Gold Conversationalist

What's everyone reading?

Message 404 of 9,647 (597 Views)

This library change just might give me a bit of discipline...I order books online and all of a sudden instead of getting 1 or 2 books, 4 or 5 may come in and I hold onto them and keep renewing them until I've read them.  It is probably best for me to have just a couple on hand (plus books I've purchased at estate and yard sales that are just sitting here) so I don't always feel so overwhelmed.  I'm my own worst enemy sometimes.  But, I manage - just need to make some changes.  Sally

Gold Conversationalist

Message 405 of 9,647 (609 Views)

Sally,

I can sympathize with your dilemma.  Two weeks is not very long, and I like to pick up a bunch of books every time I go, in case it is a while before I can go back.  I just found out the other day that our library allows an individual to check out up to 60 books at a time!  That's way more than I can carry!

Jan

Gold Conversationalist

Message 406 of 9,647 (611 Views)
Thank you!
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 407 of 9,647 (637 Views)

We are in the Cuyahoga County Public Library system and it has been highly rated for a long while.  They have been building many new libraries all over the county (to replace some of the older ones.  Just this past week I received an e-mail from them that they are reducing the length of time we can keep books from three weeks to two weeks.  They are also cutting back on the time we can keep DVD's in the same way.  They say that reductions to the library's operating budget prevents them from purchasing material in the same quantities as they have in the past.  This will certainly affect me because  sometimes I have a stack of books lined up to read and I can keep renewing them online unless someone is asking for it.  I'm spoiled!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 408 of 9,647 (2,064 Views)

jgaff55 wrote:
I am in Michigan, in the greater Detroit metropolitan area, but we are a far northern suburb. As it turned out the millage passed by a landslide, and our library is now guaranteed funding for the next eight years. We were worried, because there is a lot of anti tax sentiment here, but apparently my neighbors do want a library. Thanks for the well wishes!

Jan

Congratulations on the successful vote - a landslide, no less!  Happy borrowing and reading wishes to all who use your library Smiley Very Happy 

Gold Conversationalist

Re: re: What's everyone reading? John Adams by David McCullough

Message 409 of 9,647 (2,050 Views)

LDV,

I will also say some prayers for your mother's recovery.

Jan

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What's everyone reading? At Weddings and Wakes, Alice McDermott

Message 410 of 9,647 (2,044 Views)
Sally,

I Love You More sounds like something I might like. I added to my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan