Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Info Seeker +

Re: Book Clubs - How Do They Work?

Message 11 of 20 (915 Views)

I have belonged to several book clubs, most book clubs pick a book that everyone reads and shares their thoughts on that book. Really enjoy the club I belong to now as the leader tells us what the genre will be and we pick our own book. Last month it was on travel, this month is a  mystery book, I am reporting on Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale, her debate book. 

We have light refreshments and interest conversations not always related to books. We meet during the day, so no night driving. 

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 20 (949 Views)

I do not belong to a book club and would love to join one!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 13 of 20 (987 Views)

I belong to a book club in the independent living community where I live.  In fact, I am the Librarian! It is often hard to keep people in the club for a variety of reasons, so I have each member pick a book to read.  We have been able to get the books from a local library to use for the group.  Of course they must be returned.  We have had some books that were not of any interest to others and allow them to "opt out" but stay a member..  We ask them to come to the meeting to get in the conversation even if they haven't read the book .  Sometimes they have experiences that might tie into the read.   We are respectful of each other's opinions and usually go around the table and ask for feedback, which works well.  Usually the books from the library have questions regarding the book.  The best part is getting people to enjoy the club.  I also try to get the movie to watch if the book was used for that.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 20 (1,222 Views)

@ASTRAEA Thanks for the nudge. I cycling friend told me to sign up for the LifeSpa newsletter ... and I spaced it. I have just done so. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 15 of 20 (1,211 Views)

HA! (mouth drops) I have heard of him, though I've not met him. He has a strong following here. I've read some of his stuff and think he's brill, FWIW. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 16 of 20 (1,145 Views)

@Epster - If someone sticks to any one category of books, it's probably possible to find an online bookclub, if you don't live in a major metropolitan area .. but I don't even do that.

In fact, you might even know the author of the book I'm reading now; it's Dr. John Douillard's "Body, Mind, and Sport". He's a former professional athlete, D.C. and Ayurvedic practitioner in Denver: https://lifespa.com/about-lifespa/.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 17 of 20 (1,112 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - I have a feeling that they're similar to investment clubs; great for people who want to talk about a subject with fellow non-experts .. and who believe that group consensus yields a higher quality result, than they could achieve on their own. I'm not sure it's a good fit for people with eclectic taste, and like to be more in control .. of their finances or their reading material! Smiley Wink

Yeah. I agree, at least up to a point. We one time had the penultimate book group comprised of novelists. We'd dissect each tome, learning more about craft from our discussions, I think, than we had at our many seminars and classes. Or at least getting a far better grasp of application. But unless you can find a group of minds with tastes that compliment your esoteric reading tastes, you are almost certainly spot on in your assessment.

I've also been to book clubs where people argued over the meaning of this or that, forgetting to allow latitude for other views. That's not more fun than a bunch of nodding heads agreeing with whatever is being said.

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 20 (937 Views)

@Epster - I have a feeling that they're similar to investment clubs; great for people who want to talk about a subject with fellow non-experts .. and who believe that group consensus yields a higher quality result, than they could achieve on their own. I'm not sure it's a good fit for people with eclectic taste, and like to be more in control .. of their finances or their reading material! Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 20 (883 Views)

@ASTRAEA Short answer; all of the above. Book clubs I've been in and around have done all of those things, in turn.

I think we alwyas thought it best if members finsihed the book before the meeting, but of course there was usually someone who hadn't. I suspect the discussion wasn't stimulating for those who had not finished the book, but that's just a guess.

Given your tastes as stated, I rather suggest looking for a huge book club rather than a community one. Maybe something orchestrated by the public library or a university that by sheer size would allow you to drop in and out at will.

Have fun!

Book Clubs - How Do They Work?

Message 20 of 20 (861 Views)

There's been a conversation on the area NextDoor website, about starting a book club or joining one of the existing ones in the area.

I've been reading a lot more recently, so I was curious about how the average book club works. Do they have to have a general theme, or type of book the group reads? Do members generate a list of books they'd like to read, and vote on it? Are members supposed to finish reading the chosen book before discussion starts?

I have very specific interests in books, so a group that focused on the most popular fictions wouldn't be my cup of tea .. or feeling the need to finish a book I didn't enjoy, or meet a deadline.