The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Book Clubs - How Do They Work?

Message 1 of 20 (694 Views)

"....We discuss everything under the sun before finally getting around to the book we've read.  We just laugh the whole meeting and these women have become my friends and we go out to lunch and on tours together....".

And that is what book clubs should be about, imho..........Smiley Very Happy

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 20 (713 Views)

I would love to join a book club.  I am going to contact my library and go online to see if I can find one. 

Why can't this community have a book club?

Silver Conversationalist

Message 3 of 20 (767 Views)

I've belonged to a book club at our library for several years.  We discuss everything under the sun before finally getting around to the book we've read.  We just laugh the whole meeting and these women have become my friends and we go out to lunch and on tours together.  We don't all enjoy the same books, and I have read books I wouldn't have read on my own (I'm a mystery lover), but there was only one book I just couldn't finish.  There was one lady who quit because she didn't like the books we were reading.  The librarian has a list of books that are available for book clubs (enough copies) and we choose books from that.  We all look forward to our last Thursday of the month meetings.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 20 (901 Views)
Try starting a book club yourself. You might be amazed how many people are looking for the same vicinity and time frame you are, you just need to put the information out there. It can be organized through meetup,com.
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 20 (915 Views)

I would love to join a book club but can't find one that is convenient and meets at a time I am available.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 20 (996 Views)

Many women at my church (Berkeley, Progressive) belong to a book club where we meet monthly, having selected the books we will read, usually half a year ahead.  One person leads and we meet in someone's house.  We're a very democratically run group and the books we read cover a WIDE range of topics.  The discussions are fascinating.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 20 (1,038 Views)

I would love to join a book club!

Info Seeker

Re: Book Clubs - Seeking local bookclubs

Message 8 of 20 (1,237 Views)

A reader with physical challenges that make reading groups problematical, I enjoy the Facebook reading group Reading Crew, in which members take turns leading and choosing books.  It has been ongoing for about three years and our previous choices are listed on the page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/794109863963366/

Steve

Info Seeker

Re: Book Clubs - Seeking local bookclubs

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 20 (1,316 Views)

I would be interested in joining a book club in the Appleton area.

Conversationalist

Book Clubs - Seeking local bookclubs

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 20 (1,347 Views)

I would like to know more about book clubs that are in my neighborhood.

Please send me a message on details on local bookclubs in my area.

Thank you!

Agnus Krabbe