Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 11 of 22 (2,910 Views)

Hello! I, too, am a writer. However, being a tad bit technology challenged, I am not sure how to connect in this forum. 

KSJones
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 12 of 22 (2,974 Views)

Hello Schlomo...new member here just catching up at 74, though I was a member for many years twenty years ago. Thanks for the blog site I will check it out...Do you blog every day? I have a site as well, http://www.welbythomascox.org where I share a chapter of one of my books each week. Currently blogging "Poor Children of Eve." You know, writing for me is like painting, I don't do it for the money, I do it for the satrisfaction of knowing my mind is still eager to learn and to share those thoughts with my six wonderful children, fifteen grands and to save a legacy for them of exactly who the "old guy" really was.  Because in the end the only reason for living is to matter, to count, to stand for something individually and to have it make some difference to our progeny that we have lived at all. So I urge all who write, as you apparently have done, to write, to publish and register at the LOC which provides a lasting trail filled with laughter; tears, photos, romance, children and grands to pass on in 2050 to those containing your DNA.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 22 (2,998 Views)

Hello Marti...I recognize your name. I too have written and published many books, screenplays and plays for the theatre. I am currently working on my first audio book which is quite an experience. I agree with you on self-publishing and believe the technological revolution, through the introduction of eCommerce, will greatly displace the conventional publishing industry in the next twenty years. This I see as a good thing in as much as this industry is definitively a closed community. My books are on amazon and I write historical fiction for the most part loving doing the research and also work with the Superhighway of Poetry to share my devotion to that genre and have given away thousands of books through the annual venue for international sharing with other published poets. By the way I am in my 74th year and continue to work ten hours a day at my craft which also includes painting and going to school...love the freedom to expand the mind and live life to the end.

Conversationalist

Message 14 of 22 (2,118 Views)

Did you find a good editor?

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 22 (2,281 Views)

I have not published and have no interest in publishing hundreds of pages of vignettes spanning most of my life. But I do have a blogging site: vignettesgalore.wordpress.com

And I share my observations with my many friends inside and outside of AARP.

schlomo
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 16 of 22 (2,530 Views)

Here's a link to an article about book cover design.   http://www.ibuzzle.com/articles/book-cover-design-template.html  It can give you an informational start.

Finding someone to edit for you can be tricky.  No matter how professional they are, their views are subjective.  Some people go to writers' forums and find others there to help. Some people join local writers groups and the members edit for each other.  In those groups a lot of the people are opinionated and will tell you how you should rewrite your book, even though they are unskilled themselves.

As for editing this gal does editing for a fee.  I seem to have misplaced the link to her website, but here's the email address:.Rachel D Shiloh Farm <shilohsfarm@gmail.com>  She's the niece of a person I knew a long time ago.

Info Seeker +

Message 17 of 22 (2,554 Views)

hello,

Yes, I'm an author of non-fiction. I just finished my first book. Now I'm ;lookong for an editor and some help on doing my cover. Any suggestions?

cross roads
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 18 of 22 (2,734 Views)

None of the people I know who have self-published hav made more than a pitlance doing it that way. If a person is a good sales person, it might work.  If a person is willing to run all over the country, it might work.  But for most of us that is not realistic.

But then, going the other route hasn't been very productive for me either.  I've been writing for years.  I've only published two works.  I have an agent, but....  I write literary fiction with a lacing of fantasy and paranormal.

I'd really like to find other writers here to connect with.  On most writers' forums everyone is so very young and concerned about things I've outgrown.

I don't need anyone to help me write.  I don't need anyone to read for me.  I'm just looking for writing buddies. I am willing to help give suggestion and share the things I've learned with those who are seeking.

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 22 (2,814 Views)
Hi Marti. I love that you started writing late as I started when I was 15 but didn't get serious until I was 58. I have 3 indie published so far. Would love to connect with another author as well, especially one that started later in life.
Conversationalist

Message 20 of 22 (3,575 Views)

Actually, there is a lot of money to be made. Self publishing is not what it used to be. These days, "self" means you do it all, not that you pay someone to publish it. You write the book, pay for the cover art, the editor and the formatter, if you can't do it yourself. Amazon has a program called Kindle Direct Publishing that lets authors upload and set the price. Apple, Kobo and B&N have similar programs so my books are available worldwide. My ebooks sell for $4..99 and I make 70% on each sale. Traditional publisher don't pay anything near that much. 

Marketing is the hard part and probably why your friend was unsucessful. Maybe he/she should try again.

Marti Talbott, Author of clean romance suitable for ages 14 and up.