Does Your Loved One Need Care? Tune In at 7 p.m. ET for AARP's 'Family Caregiving Online Series.' Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 1 of 26

I guess I am not clever enough to know how to cancel this reply.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 26

Hi there,

I had two books published by a proper publishing company when I was living in England. When I came back to the states I continued writing and have indie published 3 books. One is non-fiction on Victorian travellers to Egypt and the changes that have taken place in that country since. The other two books are gentle mysteries, of course with a murder or two. I am working on my third mystery now. I do it for the love of writing, of course I would love the money to go with it, but I don't see that happening as I don't know a thing about promotion. Writing groups are good if you're in one that writes the same genre. It keeps you writing.

The thing that is good about self-publishing is anyone can do it. The thing that is bad about self-publishing is anyone can do it.

I am on Amazon under Christina Harris 

Silver Conversationalist

Message 3 of 26

Hello....I have several stories (shorts) started; however during the last couple years began writing some small books about a town mouse...yes; a town mouse.  Have self-published and had printed by a local print shop...have sold a couple at a local specialty shop...gave some to family members to get a reaction.  Actually a friend's young grandson who was learning to read, found that he loved them so much that he carries them with him everywhere and encouraged his reading.  ....so I guess my little stories are good afterall. So far each are continuing 'tales' of the first book....Thinking of combining them into one.  

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 26

I am a retired Registered Nurse who spent more than 35 years working in various areas of Nursing. In 2005 at the age of 66 my 71 year old husband’s health was deteriorating and I had to retire to care for him 24 hours a day. During that time I questioned as to what I could still do as I also was getting older and at home all the time. The answer came to me rather quickly as I thought about what hobby I had enjoyed since I was 8 years old. It was writing. For years I had written poetry and stories just for fun, in school, in college and in my adult life for Nursing Journals. Eventually in 2000 when I was in my 60s I had actually written a devotional book called “I Thought There Was a Road There…..”.  Several years later my husband passed away and I also began to have some health problems. I now could not do many physical activities at that point; however, I could still write and since then I have written and published another non-fiction book called “Separated Lives”.  I would urge interested senior citizens to explore this opportunity. This was a Godsend to me as I explored and truly enjoyed this path!

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 26

Hello,

I am a non-fiction author. I've been a freelance writer for more than twenty years and I've been published in newspapers, magazines, and websites. I have also published one book so far, Home Should Be Safe: Hope and Help for Domestic Violence Victims. I'm working on my second book, Roadmap to Healing, which details my struggle to find wholeness after my divorce. I found that healing and deliverance through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. 

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 26

My biggest challenge is marketing but if we want readers to acknowledge us we need to promote ourselves as well as our work. I joined a group on fb that supports indie authors and they have given me the support and help I needed. We as authors and writers must never give up.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 26

So true just sit down and write what comes to you. authors should write what they want not what others want. Your writing should come from your heart. I'm a published author of childrens picture books. My first book is titled Giggle A Little Giggle and being published now is Gabby For President and currently working on a third untitled for now.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 26

Where Writers Win is a terrific website.  My publisher told me about it. Some of it you have to pay for, some not. But it has been a help when there is so much stuff out there that is no help at all. Good luck!

Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 26
Goodness, Marti! Congratulations! You know the secret of authorship. Write. Just sit down and do it. Do you write series primarily? Do you have a website and newsletter and use them? I met a young publicist this week who encouraged me to do the latter. Besides Facebook, and other social media platforms, Internet access is most helpful.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 26
Me, too. I just had my first book published, a memoir. And I have two other books - a mystery and a novel - in the can, well, they have to come out of the can and get cooked, so to speak. What are you working on?