The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 1 of 22 (51 Views)

Hello,

I am a non-fiction author. I've been a freelance writer for more than twenty years and I've been published in newspapers, magazines, and websites. I have also published one book so far, Home Should Be Safe: Hope and Help for Domestic Violence Victims. I'm working on my second book, Roadmap to Healing, which details my struggle to find wholeness after my divorce. I found that healing and deliverance through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. 

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 22 (191 Views)

My biggest challenge is marketing but if we want readers to acknowledge us we need to promote ourselves as well as our work. I joined a group on fb that supports indie authors and they have given me the support and help I needed. We as authors and writers must never give up.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 22 (195 Views)

So true just sit down and write what comes to you. authors should write what they want not what others want. Your writing should come from your heart. I'm a published author of childrens picture books. My first book is titled Giggle A Little Giggle and being published now is Gabby For President and currently working on a third untitled for now.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 22 (2,465 Views)

Where Writers Win is a terrific website.  My publisher told me about it. Some of it you have to pay for, some not. But it has been a help when there is so much stuff out there that is no help at all. Good luck!

Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 22 (2,562 Views)
Goodness, Marti! Congratulations! You know the secret of authorship. Write. Just sit down and do it. Do you write series primarily? Do you have a website and newsletter and use them? I met a young publicist this week who encouraged me to do the latter. Besides Facebook, and other social media platforms, Internet access is most helpful.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 22 (2,565 Views)
Me, too. I just had my first book published, a memoir. And I have two other books - a mystery and a novel - in the can, well, they have to come out of the can and get cooked, so to speak. What are you working on?
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 22 (2,565 Views)
Hey, writing buddy, Good for you, finding an agent. How did you do that? I've just published a memoir with a small publishing house, and it has been a Bear getting the promotion off the ground. You are right about the cross-country business (my story takes place in Indiana and Florida) and turning oneself into a salesperson. No way around it. I'd rather be writing, but I need to get this book out there. The librarians have been wonderful, offering events solo or with other locals authors. I like the website Where Writers Win, among others. What have you published lately? I just joined a writers group at the local university, and they are all into fantasy and paranormal...I see a lot of these genre at conferences, too. Seems to be a very popular...good luck.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 22 (2,573 Views)
Loved your post. And the idea for a blog....I had one for a year when I was in the Peace Corps in Mexico...2013. Not so long ago. It was a wonderful way to reach out and chronicle a year of great beginnings, new people and adventure. I just published a memoir and am thinking of doing another blog....you have jogged my thoughts. Alld the best, and Thanks.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 22 (2,575 Views)
Do you have a Facebook page? That's a good place to start. I have a website, and it has given me nightmares. Especially as regards updating it. I had some wonderful help, so it is working out. I've also been dragged into the 21st century by a great young publicist who encouraged me to write a newsletter (more website connection and work). If I didn't view this as taking one step at a time, I'd go nuts. Good luck!
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 22 (2,855 Views)

Hello!  My name is Sharon Valenti and my pen name is S.E. Valenti.  I went through Koehler Publishing and used Split-Seed (Amanda Rooker) for editing.  I though both were very reasonable and I really enoyed working with them!  Good luck!

S.E. Valenti