How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Info Seeker

Re: Was I discriminated against?

Message 1 of 25 (1,020 Views)

You can bet your bottom dollar you were and the application violates the age discrimination laws. do you have the application that states that? if not go in and get one and take it for evidence.

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 25 (2,565 Views)

I went to the Target website and looked at the application.  I could find no question referencing 40 years of age.  Of course, they ask for your birth date, so figuring out your age is simple arithmetic.  Therefore, the question is why would this big, multi-national company with more lawyers than you can shake a stick at, risk a discrimination suit over such a crazy, illegal question?  The answer is they wouldn't.

As to all the other employees appearing to be in their early 20's, this could have something to do with the wage scale for this type of position.  Since it is probably close to the minimum wage, this work attracts mainly young people who do not have the qualifications for higher paying jobs.

Next, let me add that I am 65, so I am not picking on old people.  However, many of my peers give us old people a bad name.  They are overweight, haven't exercised in years and often don't bother to care for their appearance.  Their favorite topic of conversation is their health - bad, of course - and how someone is always screwing them out of something.  I don't want to be around these people and I can easily understand that employers would not want anything to do with them.  It has nothing to do with discrimination.

On the other hand, most employers would love to hire qualified older people.  We are generally honest, dependable and have a wealth of experience and knowledge.  My suggestion to you and all senior citizens is to get off the "discrimination" horse.  There are plenty of other groups willing to ride that loser to nowhere; we senior citizens should be too smart to do the same.  Instead of looking for someone to blame, look at yourself critically and make improvements where necessary.  You will find that good employers will be eager to hire you.     

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 25 (2,617 Views)
Do not feel bad. First of all Target is a crummy company. They sell really poor quality merchandise. Besides they only hire people they can push around and use til you drop. You will find a better job with a better class of employer.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 25 (2,704 Views)

Cry baby....Maybe shoot a bit higher with your educational goals and you will get the job you want.  Stop blaiming your short comings on others and take responsability for yourself and the decisions you've made in your life.  NOTHING in this world is fair....

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 25 (2,723 Views)

"Administration said they did not want any one who smokes to be hired. FYI "

Well,  can you blame them  -  if they are offering benefits like a group plan for health insurance  -  no benefits administrator in their right mind wants a lot of cigarette smokers enrolled.  

Even though ACA removed pre-existing conditions for individuals applying for insurance the insurers are still allowed to ask "do you smoke cigarettes" and charge you higher if you answer "yes." 

All other things being equal,  if an employer has two applicants to choose from,  and each has identical qualifications,  experience,  and education for the position,   can you really blame them for choosing the non-smoker over the smoker?   Isn't that the intelligent decision? 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 25 (2,783 Views)

Let's be clear.  It is illegal for an employer to ask for age or d.o.b. on the initial form.  Once the applicant has passed the initial stage and the employer is requesting additional personal information that can be used for a criminal check,  credit check,  etc. it must be stated so in writing that is the purpose and the reason for the use of the personal information.

I can't believe the OP is correct the Q was stated on the application  as   "Are you over 40?"  

Are you sure it wasn't  are you available to work "over 40"  hours.  Or, are you able to lift "over 40 lbs,  or somesuch.   ?

Target may be engaging in discriminatory hiring practices.    But they aren't so dumb to leave it out in the open like that.  

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 25 (2,788 Views)
Just to add to your list of discrimination points, "Smoking", if they find out if your a smoker, that will take you immediately out of the hiring lists. I use to be in Management and Administration said they did not want any one who smokes to be hired. FYI
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 25 (2,789 Views)
Yes, their is age discrimination going on for a while now. They ask for your social security number, or drivers license, or flat out your date of birth. Once they find out you are over 40 or worse over 50! your out of the hiring game. Its their loss because of our wealth of knowledge that we all have to offer.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 25 (3,159 Views)
I'm finding that a number of employers have little regard for compliance with federal and state equal employment opportunity laws.  They will stipulate a statement to the effect of:  "... does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, etc.  However, in my experience--the application data does the opposite, such as "are you over 40? date of birth, gender, social security number" (yes the SS# can become an issue), etc.

If this type of (sensitive) demographic data is needed for the purpose of EEO-Workforce statistics compliance, in terms of a presenting a balanced workforce, then this information should be separate from the job application; the employers should develop a separate data sheet in an effort to gather such demographic info. This type of demographic data has no bearing on whether applicants meet the minimum qualifications of job or position in question and therefore should not be intertwined with the application recruitment process.Laughing
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 25 (3,159 Views)
Actually twice:first in the mid 80s , I applied for a phys ed position at a middle school in Columbia,SC. I was told they generally held the positions for men because they needed high school coaches and assistants and the middle schools were their feeder schools. They did hire me for science . Our school had two men and one woman PE teacher.
The second time was with the recession, the schools had major budget issues. They decided they could release the older teachers with high salaries and replace them with inexperienced teachers with pay on the low end of the scale . A 2 for 1 deal money wise. For three years they replaced over two hundred. The superintendent stated we had out lived our usefulness . When in reality, you take that much experience out , you really suffer in all aspects of education. It will take years to recover. Eventually, the new teachers will become experienced!