Medicare Open Enrollment Ends Today. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Was I discriminated against?

Message 1 of 32 (700 Views)

I'm 59, laid off, and facing the same thing trying to get a job. From a busniness stand point it makes since to hire younger. A forty year old can be hired for the same pay as me and has a less chance of having medical issues.I'm going to start something i can do on my own.I think i'll be much happier.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 32 (819 Views)

I was employeed by a company through a temp to hire agency but after just a few weeks the said and I quote "we do not have time to train you".  The reason they said that is I am 62 years old with experience in the field.  They were hiring younger employees and keeping them even when they had no experience.  The did not want to invest time and money into me because I could retire when I am 66 and to be truthful that is not true.  Secondly I was not being trained because I was actually doing the job with a trainer or mentor.  Yes, age decrimination is live and well.  For you that are younger you maynot see this as a problem but remember you will hopefully get to my age and beyond and face the same issue from younger hiring managers.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 32 (994 Views)

They ask the questions on ethnicity, gender and age saying it is within government rules. But I think the minute you say yes over 40 you get kicked out of their system. Not a question that you can skip either.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 32 (995 Views)

They ask the questions on ethnicity, gender and age saying it is within government rules. But I think the minute you say yes over 40 you get kicked out of their system. Not a question that you can skip either.

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 32 (998 Views)

Agreed . They ask in a question along with ethnicity and gender, are you over 40. Throws you out of getting into job there!!

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 32 (1,000 Views)
I have applied to several jobs and in a final non discrimination question they ask if you are Over 40. It is in a section where they ask ethnicity, gender and if you have committed a felony. That is the actual QUESTION. You cannot skip it.
Conversationalist

Message 7 of 32 (1,000 Views)
Ok without claiming an age issue, I am 59 and in accounting. In April I was laid off, and have been actively seeking a Job. I have gotten interviews, they have gone well. Everything goes through employment agencies now, I have gotten great reviews on my interviews but NO OFFERS. I've asked all the recruiters for advice, some are young 20's and some are near my age. Soon I'll be at the point of used up all my Unemployment, then I go off the records and no longer fall into the unemployment rate. I wonder how many others are out there with me?? I am not lazy I email and scan the job sites constantly. It's not like anyone ever sees you you are a number on a page. Very Frustrating. Any suggestions...?!
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 32 (2,252 Views)

You can bet your bottom dollar you were and the application violates the age discrimination laws. do you have the application that states that? if not go in and get one and take it for evidence.

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 32 (3,797 Views)

I went to the Target website and looked at the application.  I could find no question referencing 40 years of age.  Of course, they ask for your birth date, so figuring out your age is simple arithmetic.  Therefore, the question is why would this big, multi-national company with more lawyers than you can shake a stick at, risk a discrimination suit over such a crazy, illegal question?  The answer is they wouldn't.

As to all the other employees appearing to be in their early 20's, this could have something to do with the wage scale for this type of position.  Since it is probably close to the minimum wage, this work attracts mainly young people who do not have the qualifications for higher paying jobs.

Next, let me add that I am 65, so I am not picking on old people.  However, many of my peers give us old people a bad name.  They are overweight, haven't exercised in years and often don't bother to care for their appearance.  Their favorite topic of conversation is their health - bad, of course - and how someone is always screwing them out of something.  I don't want to be around these people and I can easily understand that employers would not want anything to do with them.  It has nothing to do with discrimination.

On the other hand, most employers would love to hire qualified older people.  We are generally honest, dependable and have a wealth of experience and knowledge.  My suggestion to you and all senior citizens is to get off the "discrimination" horse.  There are plenty of other groups willing to ride that loser to nowhere; we senior citizens should be too smart to do the same.  Instead of looking for someone to blame, look at yourself critically and make improvements where necessary.  You will find that good employers will be eager to hire you.     

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 32 (3,849 Views)
Do not feel bad. First of all Target is a crummy company. They sell really poor quality merchandise. Besides they only hire people they can push around and use til you drop. You will find a better job with a better class of employer.