Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Volunteer

Message 1 of 16 (1,759 Views)

I volunteer at our local hospital two mornings a week and I really enjoy it.  It is a good way to network if you are looking for a job but if not, a satisfying way of supporting the community.j. Only unless I had to would I look for another job for pay.

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 16 (2,171 Views)

I understand the concern with volunteering for an agency and not getting hired.  What I would suggest you do is network.  I was networking while volunteering for this particular agency.  I volunteered in several departments and build a relationship with a few of the employees.  The employees knew I was actively seeking employment and they would also get the information first regarding new job openings.  You should also consider other agencies.  Don't limit yourself to one agency, if you don't see anything happening try another.  You are correct some may not be interested in bring someone on board, but that's where you have to do your due digilence.  I you've asked and networked with maybe it's not a good fit!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 16 (2,178 Views)

It's been a while, but my first job at the age of 19 or 20 was when I volunteered as a 'candy stripper' at the VA Hospital in Washington D.C. in the personnel department where I was then hired as a secretary. That started my career as a secretary with the Department of Interior, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, then I transfered to Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, VA until my retirement in July 2010. Linda Jordan

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 16 (2,186 Views)

I volunteered to help with the sound system at my church many years ago, while still employed on my long term regular job. I ended up attending all 4 services each weekend because there wre no other people interested in doig the job. It is something that I grew with as the church grew and increased their technology over the years. When a similar position opened up, coinsident with my retirement from my regular job, which required a person to be at all the services I was asked if I was interested and after the necessary interview process I was hired into the 15 hr per week position which has now grown to 20 hrs per week. The two jobs, volunteer and part time employment, have quite a bit of overlap so it was a natural thing for me to take on. In my case the volunteer work did not replace a salaried person but grew into a paid position. I love my job.

Conversationalist

Re: Volunteer Teaching

Message 5 of 16 (2,201 Views)

Years ago, I worked for the City/County public library in an adjacent town, volunteer-teaching Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, etc.). When a paid position became available, they immediately considered me because I had faithfully worked for the library organization for several months, driving to a different library each week, with no remuneration for the job or for fuel. I even had groupies who would follow me from one library location to another, which was especially rewarding to me. I appreciated their consideration of me because I thoroughly enjoyed the job, although there's something about doing what you enjoy that makes the word "job" a misnomer, which is why I sought to do it in the first place!

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 16 (2,207 Views)

Yes.  I volunteered for a small local non-profit in 1998 assisting with energy grants for people in my community.  The non-profit hired me to do case management for young families in the same office, and then I left to work for another non-profit with the Meals on Wheels program--I still work with in-home meal programs, but on a different level, but my experience is well-respected with both my current employer and with the local Area on Aging that contracts with us.  

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 16 (4,606 Views)
If you want employment then you should apply. Volunteering means you are willing to help without monetary consideration.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 16 (4,638 Views)

Many years ago I volunteered with the City where we live in several capacities - Chair of a Fire Department and Sewer bond committee, a membe of the Personnel Commission and as a Police 

department Community Action group.  After I had completed that work, the City had an opening  for the Director of Personnel, Labor Relations and Risk Management.  The Citu Manager called me and asked me to apply.  I did and was successful in being selected for the position and worked there for many years. Eventually I retired from the City and have never regretted working with that organization as they had a wealth of tremendous employees from top to bottom!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 16 (4,643 Views)

rr4374098 wrote:
I have been volunteering for over a year and half with local food pantry organization. It is quite large with 40 employees, however, there has been no opportunity to work part- time which is what I am looking for. I thought about reaching out to their HR department asking for consideration but it is a bit awkward since they know me well as a volunteer. Any advice?

You've identified the double-edged sword of the non-profit/volunteer world .. why would they want to pay someone, if the person's being doing the same/similar work for nothing?

About your situation, it can't hurt to ask .. and make clear that you really need a paid position, and would have to leave your volunteer position whether or not they have a paid spot for you. It might also tell you something about their priorities!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 16 (4,673 Views)
Yes. I've volunteered on a semi-long term basis for 4 social service related agencies and on a short term basis for 1 social service agency. It was mentioned to me at 1 or 2 of the semi-long term agencies that I should be paid and apply for openings. I have not. I volunteer because of my strong belief in the good that these agencies are providing for my community. I cannot work on a steady basis due to my health conditions and would not be a reliable employee, I can commit for short term projects (although sadly, I recently had to opt out of one).
Imbunky