Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Info Seeker

Re: Supplement my Income

Message 1 of 11 (1,938 Views)
Priceless!Smiley Happy
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 11 (2,308 Views)

I live in Sacramento and the blood bank doesn't pay, do you know where in Sac that pays for plasma? Thanks

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 11 (2,557 Views)

Are there many "snow birds" in FL?  Maybe elderly or disabled need shopping help.  How about extra cleaning help if they have relatives coming to visit?  Right now I have knowledge of several people who could avoid the nursing home if they had someone to run errands, take them to doctors, buy groceries, etc.  Not being able to drive seems to put many seniors in need of institutional care.  Of course a full time job would preclude doing some of these things.  Maybe a business would give you a small corner to provide package wrap services to people at large for a small rental fee to the business owner..... Good Luck!

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 11 (2,558 Views)
Perhaps you could tutor a child a couple of nights a week in the evenings. You do not need to be a teacher or retired teacher to do some elementary tutoring at about $25./hour. Housesitting or house/pet checking while owner is on vacation--that sort of thing. I love that you have found the holes in your budget. However I probably wouldn't take on extra work just to have holiday cash. You gave to your children for years; now it's their turn to give. If you have young grandchildren, it will be harder to stop gifting, but as a child, I understood that both my grandparents couldn't afford to do much at all and I fully understood. Good Luck to you.
Super Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 11 (2,570 Views)

In the Summer I drive my classic Good Humor truck and sell ice cream.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 11 (3,092 Views)

If you want to make some extra money but not work a full time job look into donating plasma. A plasma center opened up here in early summer & I have been donating since. I get paid as low as $55 a week up to $80 & sometimes more. Each company pays differentely, you only have to go twice a week & usually takes about an hour or little more. If there is a plasma center where you live it is worth checking into & would be safer then driving & not know who you might pick up.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 11 (3,302 Views)

When I was without full time employment during the holiday season I got a part time seasonal job at Macy's.

Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 11 (3,914 Views)

Yup, got that; been single for 20+ years and learned to live with my budget after; it actually became easier after the kiddos grew up and I didn't have to spend $100/month on pepsi and car insurance upcharges.

Look at what you spend on lunch at work, happy hours, etc. That's where I recovered $100s each month.

As far as "holiday" cash, I have tried for years but the opportunities don't fit in with my full time job, so perhaps that Uber / Lyft option might work this year; I'm leary of people but Uber just started food delivery here so that might work.

I didn't mean to be offensive with my first response; just didn't know what you were posting. Welcome to your new world; I think you'll like it; it's pretty great having peace more than not!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 11 (3,918 Views)

I'm asking for suggestions for single individuals over 50. Married couples rely on 2 incomes...single people have to rely on themselves to pay everything. I was married 22 years...believe me, there's a difference. 

Christy Benson McCoy
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 11 (3,926 Views)

Not sure why you're asking about opportunities for single women, but maybe look at the car services like Uber or Lyft; maybe safe and legit? 

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”