AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: DEAR JOHN: Over 80 and still working

Message 1 of 27

johninnevada wrote:

I appreciate all the replies and find some very inyeresting.

I find a lot of similar occupations to my work life.

After I retired and started working again I drove cars for a Car Rental Agency and worked about 30 hours a week. Then I tiook courses on doing taxes and got certified and did taxes for a number of years, but found that I was working long hours and there were few rewards.

The work I do now is very rewarding and as I approach my 81st Birthday I have taken on an additional shift and have no intention of ever retiring.

As I tell all my friends, "If I don't work, at the end of the day I am still in my Night Clothes and what have I really accomplished? NOTHING!!!" "Life has more to offer than that and I want to enjoy my Life"

Johninnevada

Wow   what a positive story.  I appreciate your sharing it.   Care to share what you are doing now?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

DEAR JOHN: Over 80 and still working

Message 2 of 27

Dear John,

What have you been up to lately?  Hope all is going well.

LVSHOE.gif

johninnevada wrote:

I appreciate all the replies and find some very inyeresting.

I find a lot of similar occupations to my work life.

After I retired and started working again I drove cars for a Car Rental Agency and worked about 30 hours a week. Then I tiook courses on doing taxes and got certified and did taxes for a number of years, but found that I was working long hours and there were few rewards.

The work I do now is very rewarding and as I approach my 81st Birthday I have taken on an additional shift and have no intention of ever retiring.

As I tell all my friends, "If I don't work, at the end of the day I am still in my Night Clothes and what have I really accomplished? NOTHING!!!" "Life has more to offer than that and I want to enjoy my Life"

Johninnevada

Recognized Social Butterfly

.:Over 80 and still working

Message 3 of 27

Info Seeker

Re: Over 80 and still working

Message 4 of 27

i am ovr 80 and have recently retired however the day of my retiement i was asked to work a few days and agreed it is hard to quit  and will probably continue to fill in occasionaly

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 27

I was a vice president for academic affairs at a small university and seminary. I made over $50,000 at the peak of my career.

Now I'm working for $9.50 an hour part-time, after trying to find work for a long time.

My problem with most jobs is I've had a stroke that's affected my speech, so I can't speak easily (or sing, for that matter, which I used to do professionally).

So my experience is: If you don't own your own business, expect far less from a job than you're used to.

Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 27

I'm not yet 70, but my plans had been to work full-time till I reached 70 and P/T till age 72.  Unfortunately I was let go from my job last April.  At that time I was the primary caregiver to my 95 year old mother whose behavior took a turn from "love" to extreme hatred for me.  I unfortunately had to place her in a LTC facility.  It took almost 2-3 months and various medications to stabilize her and she is almost back to her sweet self. 

I would have liked to continue to work part-time to break into retirement slowly but my mother needs to have me around and I visit on an almost daily basis.  I also considered working 16 to 20 hours per week currently but find that my visits to my mom are now my P/T job as I spend anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a day with her. I am, however, in the process of writing a series of books which I hope to try to sell on my website (considered Amazon, but untrusting of putting my SS number on line). 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 27

I'm writing for my husband who will be 81 next weekend and still works full time as a realtor.  

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 27
good for you
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 27

I am 82 and still work as a substitute teacher in local middle and high schools.

I love interacting with the kids and the job is ideal. I work when I want to and refuse when I

don't, usually four or five days a month..

One of my several careers was teaching as well as working as a chemist, sales executive, and entrepreneur.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 27
I am. I find it joyful getting up with a purpose, plus I enjoy the salary, insurance, holidays, travel and educational activities.