Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Learn How to Be a Savvy Job Hunter

Message 1 of 8

Hi @rp8149 - I'm sorry to hear that you're facing some challenges with regard to online applications - have you considered overhauling your resume and/or using keywords in it that directly mirror words in the job descriptions?  It's possible that your resume is screened out by an automated system before it even reaches a human being.  AARP Academy has a number of good online learning courses that can help you navigate how to search for jobs in the digital age.  Check out How the Job Search Has Changed, How to Age-Proof Your Resume, and Stand Out From the Crowd.  Good luck!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 8

Hi @barbaraw981810 and thanks for your questions - it's great that you are thinking this through so thoroughly.  I'll do my best to answer in a coordinated fashion.  As far as dates on your resume, if you want to go with a chronological resume (i.e., one that shows your job history in chronological order), don't remove the dates - just include the last 10-15 years of experience.  Chronological resumes are good when you want to show how your experience has been building progressively within 1 or 2 fields that directly relate to the jobs you're applying for. However, if you are making a career change or jumping into an adjacent field, you may want to consider a functional resume instead. A functional resume allows you to organize your experience around skills and job functions, rather than dates and employers.  This resume kit we put together has a section that explains the differences between these options and provides examples. 

Regardless of which resume option you go with, I would omit work experience that is not relevant to the job you are applying for.  Also, don't include a mission statement at the top of your resume - these are considered outdated unless there is something specific you need to convey that isn't covered in your resume.  The best place for a mission statement (or, a paragraph that communicates your personal brand) is on LinkedIn at the top of your profile, and/or woven throughout your cover letter.  Whatever you write, make sure showcases the unique combination of strengths and skills you bring to the table, rather than your mission (what you are seeking - recruiters don't care what you are seeking). Here's a good all purpose article on resume writing, and another on tips for updating your resume for the digital age.  GOOD LUCK!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 8

I am a retried RN age 72 and I am in excellent health. i have places many application on line for a

part time job as a bagger, and greeter. i have not recieved any reply to any of my applications. I  have two degrees in nursing. I worked in cardiac units for twenty plus years. I can not get a job any where

in Lombard, IL at any  food company, Pete;s, Jewel, or Kroger food': What am I doing wrong?

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 8

Dear Heather,

I have resume/cover letter questions. At 54 I know I could run into age discrimination looking for a new job. Should I remove dates from my resume so that my approximate age cannot be determined? Should I include previous work experience that does not apply to the field I am currently looking to work in? Is it appropriate to include my Mission Statement at the top of my cover letter to catch an employer’s eye. In this job market, it seems that it is necessary to do something that makes you stand out from the 100 cover letters they may go through.

Thank you!

Info Seeker

Re: Advice on career change and using knowledge gained in current field

Message 5 of 8

@JeanS245266 thank you for this great question!  Like many experienced workers you clearly have a wealth of skills and knowledge to offer but are just missing 1 or 2 elements of a current job posting - this can be frustrating.  Here are some ideas - first of all, have you ever done ANY teaching at all - coached a sports team? Taught a Sunday school class? Given a talk or lecture?  Anything along those lines you can emphasize as evidence of teaching ability could help you get closer to an interview.  Also, have you considered approaching the school and offering to serve as a consultant to the program or volunteer your time in other ways in order to get your foot in the door and showcase your valuable knowledge?  Lastly, work your network - try and find a connection (or a connection of a connection) to the faculty there who could introduce you, even if you are just there to "ask advice."  I hope some of these ideas help - would love to hear from others on transferring to new careers. Good luck!

Community Manager

Message 6 of 8

Welcome to the AARP Online Community! Learn How to Be a Savvy Job Hunter, is the first in a series of topics brought to you by AARP. This is a great chance to connect with AARP Work & Job experts. Ask AARP Expert Heather (@htinsley) your job search questions and share your stories here!

Info Seeker

Advice on career change and using knowledge gained in current field

Message 7 of 8

I am a physical therapist assistant with 30 years experience and knowledge in the field.  I would love to become a PTA faculty teacher at a nearby college.  Although there have been many job openings posted for these positions recently, the job requirements include 1 to 2 years of teaching experience which would not be feasible to go back to school for at this age, as I am 62.  Someone else did suggest to me about being a teacher's assistant in one of these positions.  Do u have any other suggestions as I really want to help students  in their studies or test preparations or just knowledge in getting into the PTA work field.......

Community Manager

Learn How to Be a Savvy Job Hunter

Message 8 of 8

Work-Jobs-Banner-02 (1).png

Looking for a new job in the new year? Are you prepared for a phone or in-person interview? Are you using Social Media in your search? Discuss your job search with an AARP career expert. Heather Tinsley-Fix is a Senior Advisor at AARP, where she helps drive AARP’s focus on providing members and the 50+ with the tools they need to thrive in today’s work environment.

Ask AARP Expert Heather your job search questions and share your stories here!