Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How to open the door for more seniors in the workplace

Periodic Contributor

How to open the door for more seniors in the workplace

Businesses need good workers.  Sometimes seniors are a bit rusty with skills.

Today businesses hire interns.  They know the new information but don't always have experience.

It would be easy for AARP to suggest that businesses start to hire Externs...those over 50, wanting to get back into the work force.  We bring experience, a strong work ethic, and loyalty.  The company gets to test some new people and teach the skills they want employees to have.

AARP Extern Program.

It won't take much energy or cost to start.  But it will take off.  Companies will learn the advantages of bringing in people that show up, work hard, and care.

Kudos
Views
Replies
Regular Social Butterfly

Interesting topic, Rick.

First, may I address whether "intern" "Externs" what is the difference?

Several years ago, a new law chose to make everyone under certain earnings hourly; that included interns. Many of us, not just devoted to our careers but devoted to our clients and companies, felt degraded by that legislation. We would prefer to have guaranteed income; hourly wage does not do that!

In addition, as a Senior, the only time I've felt less than market value is when my wages dropped due to slow business. I understand that necessity, but why start yet another social media conspiracy trend.

Enough write...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP