Make Your Weekend a Day or Two Longer With Cheap Trip Ideas at AARP Travel’s Take A Day.

Info Seeker

Re: Have you had a second career?

Message 1 of 11 (2,298 Views)

Now, for My Next Act ... a Career Change

Engineer/Underwriter to

Founder of Nonprofit Organization

Edward Crane

Made the leap: Age 54

Previous career: Insurance Engineer/Underwriter

New career: Founder and CEO of Nonprofit Organization

Program: My Assistance Dog Inc.

Ed was an engineer and underwriter for a major insurance company in New York City for twenty-four years, when he was forced out of work due to his epilepsy and need for brain surgery. He was partnered with an assistance dog after his surgery to help him cope with his physical challenges in life. Ed noticed that there was a lack of resources and information about the important work that assistance dogs can provide to disabled individuals.

So, Ed put together a business plan and Founded a nonprofit organization, called: My Assistance Dog Inc. to help spread the word and educate individuals, the community in general and corporate America, about the need for and the benefit that assistance dogs provide to disabled individuals and their families. They also provide support in as many ways as possible to the existing assistance dog community, at large. This is all volunteer work that he loves to do, helping disabled people live a better life with a canine partner. His organization is online and followed around the world.My Assistance Dog Inc.My Assistance Dog Inc.Ed and Alepo at Clovis City Council Meeting for Proclamation.JPGMy Assistance Dog Inc _ July 2016 Newsletter (dragged) 2 (1).jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 11 (2,405 Views)

I have had so many jobs since retiring- here it goes- film technician, sandwich maker, floor polisher for a small company, 9th grade teacher and the next year was a 11th grade teacher in the South Pacific teaching kids to speak English and it was a challenge (I love challenges)Came back to Hawaii, was a dancer and cashier for a kids restaurant, it was totally so much fun, working  with high school kids. 

Then, I became a chef for a private school and I became a tasty chef. The kids would come in and say" what are you cooking, today, Auntie?  Today, its your favorite-Mac and Cheese!!!  I made it from scratch and always had my workers taste it because I didn't care for it.  I served 200 kids and in the summer it was 500 kids and of course I had catering on top of that.  It was another challenge!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 11 (2,483 Views)
When I was "mutually terminated" from my last position, I found it hard to get another job at the age of 62 so I was "forced" into retirement from my career as an Executive Admin/Administrative Assistant with over 20 years of experience. I didn't want to just sit home and decided to explore another career that I always thought I would be good at. I am currently working as a substitute Paraprofessional in my local school system. This gives me the luxury of working when I want to and not usually having a set "schedule" although I am currently working a long term sub position two days a week. I support special needs students in our behavior and autism programs and love it. I get called "first" on many occasions due to my ability to work with the children that many people "won't". I have taken college courses for the first time and completed a certificate program for working as a Developmental Disability Direct Support person. This fulfills the "emptiness" of being at home, yet allows me the freedom to pursue some hobbies that I have long neglected. There are opportunities out there for us "seasoned" employees!
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 11 (2,640 Views)

Hi there,

I'm glad you asked because there are really only two current accredited training options to become a Life Coach. You can conduct an online search for the International Coaching Federation and Coach Training Alliance. Both offer intensive training programs that will allow you to acquire your certification at the end. It sounds like you are well on your way to understanding what a life coach does and how we help others. Because of your certification as a health coach already, you might want to consider focusing on wellness coaching as your niche. That way, you can guide your clients to improve their minds, bodies, and spirits, and ultimately, attain more fulfillment in life as a result. I hope that answered your question. Good luck in your pursuit!

Vicky DeCoster
Certified Life Coach and Author
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 11 (2,646 Views)
How does one go about becoming a Certified Life Coach? I am a Certified Health Coach and really want to help people, young and old! I've worked as a real estate agent for 17 years and spent five years working at a college in the Student Health Center. Thanks for any input on how to move into a career where I can help people lessen their stress levels and learn to live their best life!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 11 (2,761 Views)

I am in my third career and at age 75 loving it.  I prepare taxes for a national tax prep company and have been doing it for 13 years.  While the job is seasonal, it fits my life and provides a nice supplement to social security.  You need about 60 hours of class work to get started, pass a test, and take annual updates.  The classes are usually offered in the fall and I actually teach some classes and we have students of all ages and backgrounds. I think age Is a plus in this work because life experiences make you more knowledgeable.  While good keyboarding skills are a plus, I am a terrible keyboarder and still am successful.  You should like working with people and dealing with ever changing tax laws. Starting wages may not be great, but if you are good, hourly wages can soon more up to the range of $20 plus a hour.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 11 (2,820 Views)

".....Have you had a second career?....".

I've had two-and-a-half. Caseworker in the 70's. Went into IT (nee 'Data Processing') by 1980. In early 2000's, after losing IT job, did another '180' and became a CNA (certified nurse assistant).
Having been retired for 10 years, that probably counts as another 'career'.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 11 (2,901 Views)

Hi,

I completely understand your frustration. I'm sure you have also been focusing on networking, which is the way most folks receive job offers these days (rather than via online board postings, etc.). I'm wondering if you've ever thought about becoming a business or executive coach. It seems to me that you offer valuable experience and insight that would benefit any small business owner or up-and-coming executive. Just something to think about as you continue on your journey. Don't lose hope. Continue to reach out to everyone in your network and ask for their help. 

Vicky DeCoster
Certified Life Coach and Author
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 11 (2,931 Views)

Try as I might, I believe, with some exceptions, getting a job when you reach a certain age is difficult if not impossible.  This is even more true today, where virtually everything is done online and your chances of getting an interview appear to be slim to none, at least to me.  I have read article after article and nothing helps.  In my opinion, most of the job boards are looking to make a buck by selling you services (i.e., upgrading your resume).  Futhermore, many job boards seem to generate job offers that are very questionable at best (i.e., reshipping services or procurement jobs that require you to work from home and buy all sorts of equipment until the local office opens - a scam in my opinion).  

I have been looking for a job for the better part of 9 months, with one interview in that time.  I have a masters degree, finished my career as a senior executive of a global consulting company, yet I cannot get a simple customer service or administrative position.  I believe when they see that I spent 41 years at one company and figure in my college graduation dates, it is very easy to see that I am a "mature" individual. That along with my prior salary and the "overqualified" tag are the final nail in the coffin.  Lately, I have  focused on emphasizing the fact that I am very serious in my interest in the position, as well as the reasons why I feel my business acumen would benefit their organization, regardless of the other factors already mentioned; still no success.  Sorry to sound so negative, but that has been my experience.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 11 (2,983 Views)

Yes!   I worked for forty years as an executive secretary.   When I retired (at the age of 60) I knew I was going to have to do something else for awhile, in order to "fill in the age gap" until I would reach full-age Social Security eligibility.   For whatever was next in my future, I wanted to do something different than office work so I immediately began taking training to become a pharmacist technician, and I went to work with one of the big retail chains.   I was really blessed that I was able to do this work - I know not all of us sixty-somethings are able to stand on their feet for eight hours at a  time,  but I was and I did it.   I did this work for six years, and recently at age 66 I finally arrived at my long-worked-towards goal:   full retirement age.   It was definitely (financially) worth the wait, and I now look back in satisfaction on all this.  Speaking for myself here, this work was a good choice and I will add too, that the older customers in the store really did like having a fully-mature technician on hand to ask for advice about over-the-counter products, to discuss their apprehensions about (first time around!) colonoscopies [chances are these such customers are not going to discuss this topic with younger technicians] and a cheery greeting and general advice.  It was a good second-career job to have taken on - but admittedly, had I not had the ability to work standing, this would have been one that wouldn't have been able to be pulled off!   When I made my departure, the store had a nice party for me and I got many cards giftcards and flowers and candy from customers who assured me that I would be truly missed.