Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Info Seeker

Re: Have you ever worked for someone younger than yourself?

Message 1 of 4 (318 Views)

Definitely. In a university setting you would expect that age, experience, and wisdom would be appreciated. The problem comes when we senior researchers and administrators were making much more than the young guys and gals that were being hired. It often became a matter of wanting to save money on salaries and having other young people around these new administrators.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4 (487 Views)

Probably first thing to cross the mind of a geezer like me is this age discrimination because they make this whippersnapper my boss? While ageism does exist hopefully the company felt this younger person was a better fit for this position because of the skills and experience they have amassed unless it’s just the son/daughter-in-law of the CEO moving up through the ranks, what’d we expect.

From my experience I learned being cooperative and willing to share my skills and experience helps to build a mutually positive work environment even with the generational differences.

Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 4 (529 Views)

AARPLynne wrote:

Have you ever worked for someone younger than yourself?

Ever.    Well let's see I am still working so that would be a definite yes.  Several times.  I have not had an issue so far.  But I have made it a point to discuss this issue in the beginning with each of them and I did not have a problem accepting supervision from someone younger. So far they have treated me as a resource as I have lots of experience and we have gotten along without issues.  I hope that continues.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Community Manager

Message 4 of 4 (540 Views)