How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Topics: 1,053
Kudos: 11,689

Re: Final Year Pre-retirement

Message 1 of 38 (787 Views)

BearonaBicycle wrote:

I entered retirement last week. I thought I would give some final thoughts for anyone following this thread. My final year was very hectic. There was a scramble for me to get as much done and transitioned as possible before my departure. I was given a substantial project seven months out. I did get quite a bit done and set the direction of this project for my successor. I was able to train a successor who does my job well.

I had one bad experience that left me questioning a person I considered a friend for 20+ years at work. In my final month, the department was reordg’d and I was assigned to a new manager. She was a former coworker and my manager in the past. I thought this was OK. Unfortunately, she had different views and priorities than my preceding manager.

She was constantly challenging me to get more done. I was fully booked. She even confided in coworkers that she believed “I had checked out.” That statement upsets me because I did everything possible to leave things in good shape. Many people check out but I worked until minutes before my farewell reception.

I hated that I left with a broken friendship. Over the past days reflecting, I came to realize that she was in a panic with my departure. She could have handled the friction better. I could have handled it better too. Now it’s time to move on. Sad that it will be without a person I worked with for 20+ years. That, my friends, is why I will never again enter corporate America.

I enjoyed your post.  I hope that you will check in periodically and tell us how you are doing in retirement.  I am approaching that point and I am interested. Thanks and best wishes!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 38 (905 Views)
Looking ahead and not back is the best advice! Thanks.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 38 (914 Views)

@BearonaBicycle - Keep looking ahead & enjoy your retirement!

I think that many of us have stories about life at work after announcing our retirement. Because my facility had been sold 8 months earlier, and my deciding to retire was somewhat hasty, there was no retirement party. A couple of close co-workers took me out for lunch my last day. While we were sitting at the restaurant, my soon-to-be-former-boss came over from another table, telling my friends he needed them back ASAP for something urgent. Since they didn't work together, it sounded phoney, and just to get them back to work faster. He'd only been my boss a short time; I thought he had no balls or spine when upper management pressured him .. I was glad never to see him again!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 38 (919 Views)

I entered retirement last week. I thought I would give some final thoughts for anyone following this thread. My final year was very hectic. There was a scramble for me to get as much done and transitioned as possible before my departure. I was given a substantial project seven months out. I did get quite a bit done and set the direction of this project for my successor. I was able to train a successor who does my job well.

I had one bad experience that left me questioning a person I considered a friend for 20+ years at work. In my final month, the department was reordg’d and I was assigned to a new manager. She was a former coworker and my manager in the past. I thought this was OK. Unfortunately, she had different views and priorities than my preceding manager.

She was constantly challenging me to get more done. I was fully booked. She even confided in coworkers that she believed “I had checked out.” That statement upsets me because I did everything possible to leave things in good shape. Many people check out but I worked until minutes before my farewell reception.

I hated that I left with a broken friendship. Over the past days reflecting, I came to realize that she was in a panic with my departure. She could have handled the friction better. I could have handled it better too. Now it’s time to move on. Sad that it will be without a person I worked with for 20+ years. That, my friends, is why I will never again enter corporate America.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 38 (2,686 Views)
Good luck as you plan your final year. Actually, 3 months into that final year and things are good. I work in a close knit work group where we are all senior techies. Over the years we have become friends beyond coworkers. It was only natural to share our retirement dreams. I am fortunate to work for a super employer that focuses on employees. I know that is rare. I am still enjoying my work.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 38 (2,694 Views)

The difference in giving notice differs from the civilian workforce and the federal government.  There are requirements that certain paperwork must be done within a timeframe.  Even after retirement it took three months for my retirement paycheck to stabilize. Since I retired the end of September I didn't know exactly how much I would have every month until February.  Everyone's situation is different.

Topics: 1,053
Kudos: 11,689

Message 7 of 38 (2,698 Views)

There have been many good posts and advice here..  I still have a year or so to go but if there is anything that I have learned from my years of work it is to think and decide what is best for you, not to discuss those ideas with co-workers unless you really trust them, to make a plan of your own and to move forward with it.  The company will always do what is policy and best for them and so should you.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Super Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 38 (2,786 Views)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Bro.  After 39 years of high performance ratings I was about flunked.  Massive new projects were added so that I couldn't do a good job.  I didn't need the money so I retired to rid myself of the stress.  A year or so later they closed the office I worked out of.  Their goal was reached.  They avoided paying me a lot of severance pay by forcing me out.  Do nor trust corporate America.  They will take advantage of you.  Get them for all you can before they get you.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 38 (2,873 Views)

Yes, I saw this type of behavior directed at many of my coworkers over the years. I took note of this behavior and it helped me plan my own exit.  As I approached reirement age, I never discussed reirement with anyone other than my wife. When I was ready to retire, I met with my boss. We found a mutual date suitable for me to retire and I walked out the door on that date. I worked at the same place for 39 years and I feel good about the way my retirement was handled.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 38 (2,879 Views)
Thanks for a positive response. It has taken some time, but I now understand my role is changing and my responsibilities. I am transitioning out. I know it's a shared responsibility. I'll do my part. Management needs to do their part. I can't control that.