Join the Summer of Service to SeniorsSM - sign AARP Foundation's banner

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Final Year Pre-retirement

Message 1 of 43 (487 Views)

BearonaBicycle wrote:
It has been 5 months and I quickly came to realize that "work" friendships may not be as enduring as I thought. I have been able to move past those mired in office politics. Retirement is a new day and a new chapter. I have definitely moved on.

You are right.  I left a previous job that I was at for many years and as close as some of us were we gradually all stopped communicating.  Your work connection goes away I guess. King of sad. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 43 (489 Views)

I never thought about it at the time, but this corporate change has made a big difference in my retirement. Due to divestiture in the electric power industry, the entire department in which I worked for 16 years was sold to other utility companies .. with all of my former coworkers. Then after 12 years in another department, that facility with all the personnel was also sold to another company, which wasn't even in our region. So most of my former coworkers have been working for other companies long enough, by the time they retired, to not consider themselves retirees of our original company .. which I do with 28 years in. When I attend our retirees luncheons, there's almost no one that I knew from work, because they're all from departments the company didn't sell off! 

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 43 (492 Views)
It has been 5 months and I quickly came to realize that "work" friendships may not be as enduring as I thought. I have been able to move past those mired in office politics. Retirement is a new day and a new chapter. I have definitely moved on.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 43 (551 Views)

k621545m wrote:
The one thing i have learned about co-workers you think are your friends a lot of times they are not! As long as you are in the same boat they are you are ok but the moment you step out on your own there's problem! I had to learn the hard way as well. I now don't discuss any of my personal business with them because of trust! People are people and it's sad to say there are a lot of people who don't have your best interest at heart!

This is true of acquaintences of all kinds..  only a very few are true friends and can be trusted with anything you want kept confidentail.   It takes a long time to find out.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 43 (557 Views)
The one thing i have learned about co-workers you think are your friends a lot of times they are not! As long as you are in the same boat they are you are ok but the moment you step out on your own there's problem! I had to learn the hard way as well. I now don't discuss any of my personal business with them because of trust! People are people and it's sad to say there are a lot of people who don't have your best interest at heart!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 43 (1,906 Views)

BearonaBicycle wrote:

I entered retirement last week. I thought I would give some final thoughts for anyone following this thread. My final year was very hectic. There was a scramble for me to get as much done and transitioned as possible before my departure. I was given a substantial project seven months out. I did get quite a bit done and set the direction of this project for my successor. I was able to train a successor who does my job well.

I had one bad experience that left me questioning a person I considered a friend for 20+ years at work. In my final month, the department was reordg’d and I was assigned to a new manager. She was a former coworker and my manager in the past. I thought this was OK. Unfortunately, she had different views and priorities than my preceding manager.

She was constantly challenging me to get more done. I was fully booked. She even confided in coworkers that she believed “I had checked out.” That statement upsets me because I did everything possible to leave things in good shape. Many people check out but I worked until minutes before my farewell reception.

I hated that I left with a broken friendship. Over the past days reflecting, I came to realize that she was in a panic with my departure. She could have handled the friction better. I could have handled it better too. Now it’s time to move on. Sad that it will be without a person I worked with for 20+ years. That, my friends, is why I will never again enter corporate America.

I enjoyed your post.  I hope that you will check in periodically and tell us how you are doing in retirement.  I am approaching that point and I am interested. Thanks and best wishes!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 43 (2,024 Views)
Looking ahead and not back is the best advice! Thanks.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 43 (2,033 Views)

@BearonaBicycle - Keep looking ahead & enjoy your retirement!

I think that many of us have stories about life at work after announcing our retirement. Because my facility had been sold 8 months earlier, and my deciding to retire was somewhat hasty, there was no retirement party. A couple of close co-workers took me out for lunch my last day. While we were sitting at the restaurant, my soon-to-be-former-boss came over from another table, telling my friends he needed them back ASAP for something urgent. Since they didn't work together, it sounded phoney, and just to get them back to work faster. He'd only been my boss a short time; I thought he had no balls or spine when upper management pressured him .. I was glad never to see him again!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 43 (2,038 Views)

I entered retirement last week. I thought I would give some final thoughts for anyone following this thread. My final year was very hectic. There was a scramble for me to get as much done and transitioned as possible before my departure. I was given a substantial project seven months out. I did get quite a bit done and set the direction of this project for my successor. I was able to train a successor who does my job well.

I had one bad experience that left me questioning a person I considered a friend for 20+ years at work. In my final month, the department was reordg’d and I was assigned to a new manager. She was a former coworker and my manager in the past. I thought this was OK. Unfortunately, she had different views and priorities than my preceding manager.

She was constantly challenging me to get more done. I was fully booked. She even confided in coworkers that she believed “I had checked out.” That statement upsets me because I did everything possible to leave things in good shape. Many people check out but I worked until minutes before my farewell reception.

I hated that I left with a broken friendship. Over the past days reflecting, I came to realize that she was in a panic with my departure. She could have handled the friction better. I could have handled it better too. Now it’s time to move on. Sad that it will be without a person I worked with for 20+ years. That, my friends, is why I will never again enter corporate America.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 43 (3,805 Views)
Good luck as you plan your final year. Actually, 3 months into that final year and things are good. I work in a close knit work group where we are all senior techies. Over the years we have become friends beyond coworkers. It was only natural to share our retirement dreams. I am fortunate to work for a super employer that focuses on employees. I know that is rare. I am still enjoying my work.