Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Facing Unemployment at 50

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 17 (494 Views)

Don't be discouraged. There are actually a lot of companies out there that DON'T discriminate based on age. 

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 17 (7,440 Views)

I am 61 and have been unemployed since last May. I have interviewed a lot and come close a a few times but haven't gotten a job yet.  I don't have nearly enough money to retire. I am trying to learn new skills in my field (IT) so maybe I can get a job that way.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 17 (7,445 Views)

Yes, it is pretty bad out there.  I was let go from my job in 2015.  First time ever and they really had no reason but to say I had a bad "attitude" .  My attitude was because certain individuals did not do what they were suppose to in order for me to move forward with my part of doing the job.  The manager had her favorites and I was not one of them.  So when I brought it to her attention she did not like it and that caused for her to say I had a bad attitude.  I do believe I will be better for not working there.  It was not a place for me, but I was not warned and did not need to lose my job.  I had NEVER been told I had a bad attitude in my years of working.  I always got along with everyone and was a team player.  This has also affected my self esteem and I keep blaming myself for it. We need to move on and better things will come to us in 2017!!  

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 17 (7,446 Views)

I am with you.  I am 58 years old and have been unemployed since October of 2015.   Have been lookignfor a job since then with no luck.  It is not easy for us folks at this age.  Although today we are still too young to retire.  

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 17 (7,461 Views)

The company I've been with for 11 years is disbanding our particular brand, so as of 1/28/17, I will be unemployed. I'm working on applications now, and I've submitted my application for unemployment. I read something about possibly getting special SS benefits while going through this process for mental distress & anxiety. Is this accurate? I'm 56, and I know my prospects are limited. Job hunting is an overwhelming task, & I'm very close to a zero balance in my accounts!

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 17 (8,248 Views)

Ditto. In the past, I've signed up with more than one temp agency at a time, usually 4 - 5, and had good results. I would also keep up on a job search if the temp contract was short-term. I've actually ended up on two of my long-term jobs because I was hired when the temp contract ended.

One thing I'm doing now is working with a career counselor to get ready for when they drop the hammer on me. THIS time I'm going to be ready to look for work, and I won't take just any available job simply because it pays a fairly good wage - in other words, I won't go into "job survival" mode, I'll be a bit pickier about which job I choose to take. I'm feeling much more hopeful this time around.

caircair
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 17 (8,960 Views)

Agreed, temp agency will help.  Try you state .gov sites also.  They have many jobs that you can do from home via the internet.  Many medcial companies are also looking for persons that will work from home, via the internet. 

Take a course in resume writing at your local college.  What once worked on a resume, doesn't work now.  I see many resumes, and they are filled with the old style words.  Pep up your resume.

I am facing a possible plant shut down soon, so I am all ready looking. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 17 (8,968 Views)
Totally agree. I recommend to all of the more senior job seekers to try going through a temp agency if they can. It allows them to get their foot in the door and maybe, just maybe, end up with a permanent position or to realize that the company/position may not be for them. Sort of a "try it before you buy it" philosophy.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 17 (9,205 Views)

You can try Kelly Services, CoreStaff, ManPower, NetTemps, Spherion, and Westaff

Unfortunately ,  the coordinator who placed me shut down her business  and obtained an HR position  with another firm

Hope this helps

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 17 (9,226 Views)
What is the name of the agency ?
I've been looking for a part time job for a long time.