Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you looking for a part-time job?

5 More Great Part-time Jobs for Retirees suggests working as a blogger, coach, teacher’s aid, tour guide or at a convention center. Have you ever worked at one of these types of jobs? If not, which part-time job have you found helps you bring in a little extra income?

I'm a newly retired registered nurse, looking for a private duty position for about 16 to 20 hours a week . I'm able to travel if needed. Not interested in working in Hospitals/ Long-term care anymore, of which I have Years of experience. Know anyone needing a Private RN? Checked many Home Health Agency but seem buisness is slow, none seem to be looking for Per-Diem nurse at this time. 

Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job?:
I am at my wits end!  Have had several interview with Banks and they are looking for either a f/t/or p/t Teller for which I have many years of experience plus a college degree. Guess what?  nothing ever comes of these meetings, both the branch personnel and the recruiters never get back to you.  Age discrimination is alive and well and DEFINITEY flourishing in South Florida..  One Bank in particular, is a flagrant violator and we will meet in the EEOC chambers when my complaint is heard.
Posted by bigjer27

Do you realize that by just giving your driver's license number, you are in effect providing them with the year of your birth?
take a look at your driver's license and see.

no name
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I would love a part-time job?  But think that the younger people starting out are the ones more htan likely to get any job I might apply for.  So I don't do the foot work.  Hearing the Blogs.  I think I am right.
0 Kudos

Has anyone did a hobby and turned it into selling items?
Posted by edogmom
Yes, I started out painting on porcelain ornaments  jewlery, and ceramic tile. Paintig designs with china and luster paints firing them in my kiln. Went to stores and built a good clientele. The tiles were designed for custom homes. From there my art work took off into doing murals(with regular paints) and faux painting.Did all this over 25 years. So, yes you can, Hobbies become the best businesses!
Contributor

In Response to Are you looking for a part-time job?:
        5 More Great Part-time Jobs for Retirees suggests working as a blogger, coach, teacher’s aid, tour guide or at a convention center. Have you ever worked at one of these types of jobs? If not, which part-time job have you found helps you bring in a little extra income?  
Posted by AARPMiller

Yes, I am.  I've been working as a sales assistant for Christopher and Banks Ladies Clothing store for the past three years part-time.  I can not get enough hours a week to make a dent in any of my bills.  It barely pays for gas to and from.  Do you know of any similar jobs in my area (Charlotte, NC) that I can drive to in under two hours?  I live in Charlotte and the store is in Concord that is at least 30 minutes without traffic.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

YES AGE DISCRIMINATION IS ALIVE AND WELL.WHERE IS THE EEOC.I AM INTERESTED IN BECOMING
A CERTIFIED DOG TRAINER HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET A JOB IN A PET STORE.AFTER AWHILE THEY
SEND YOU TO A SCHOOL FOR DOG TRAINING... I HAVE BEEN FILLING OUT APPLICATIONS GOING FOR
INTERVIEWS AND MANY OF THEM TWICE THEY SAY THEY TRAIN BUT NO LUCK.I EVEN CALL THEM
THEY SAY THEY HIRE WHO THEY THINK WHO WOULD BE SUITEDFOR THE JOB OR THEY SAY NOT QUALIFIED.
I DIDNT KNOW I NEED A COLLEGE DEGREE TO BE A CASHIER OR SALES PERSON,AND THEY DO TRAIN
FOR THE JOB... I EVEN EMAILED THE EEOC ABOUT THIS AND THEY NEVER RESPONED.
WELL IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT BEING A CERTIFIED DOG TRAINER ,PLEASE LET
 ME KNOW.. I LIVE IN MONMOUTH COUNTY PLEASE POST
0 Kudos

Posted by edogmom

Hi,
Yes, since I love taking photos, and have an eye for it, I mount them on card stock and put them into a cellophane envelope (Photographer's Edge) and sell them around town and at a retreat center gift shop, used book store,
a deli, and have sold in other places as well....it is cash for groceries and comes in handy...plus it gives meaning to
my hobby that I love!
You can do this with small crafts, etc., too.
Ruth/Wisconsin
0 Kudos

I am 62 and have been with this company for four years now. Part of the job is really physical and I am struggling to keep up. They can not offer me part-time so I have been looking for about a year now with no luck, not even a respose. I thought maybe doing something home based, but then I have no medical insurance until I am 65, Medicare. Then I found out the government is taking money out of socical security for medicare insurance every month. What  to do what to do? Just don't have any answers.
0 Kudos

I had given some thought to a part-time job but was concerned about taking a job away from a younger person who may need a job.
0 Kudos

Posted by edogmom

Yes. My husband and I once made unique wooden items such as toys, pouting seats, wall decor, etc. We sold these on consignment from a local speciaty shop called Colonial Hill House.
However, we never pursued large-scale sales. We only did it in our spare time for a little extra income.

0 Kudos

I'm looking for a p/f business opportunity---Tell me more.

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job? : I hear your pain and I'm sure there are a lot of others on here who have their own experiences with veiled discriminatory practices!  But what I found was that I could continue to beat myself up because job searching wasn't going anywhere or I could take what was happening and turn it around for myself and a lot of other folks.  I have a home based business and I am always looking for talent to partner up with.  I especially enjoy working with the more mature person and love helping others earn the level of income they are seeking.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to take a look at what I am doing.  You never know, it just might be the thing you have been looking for! 
Posted by mrslabel

0 Kudos

Seeking a part-time clerical position in Las Vegas, NV area.
0 Kudos
Contributor

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job? : I hear your pain and I'm sure there are a lot of others on here who have their own experiences with veiled discriminatory practices!  But what I found was that I could continue to beat myself up because job searching wasn't going anywhere or I could take what was happening and turn it around for myself and a lot of other folks.  I have a home based business and I am always looking for talent to partner up with.  I especially enjoy working with the more mature person and love helping others earn the level of income they are seeking.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to take a look at what I am doing.  You never know, it just might be the thing you have been looking for! 
Posted by mrslabel

What type of home based business do you have?
0 Kudos

I've thought about it, because I could certainly use some extra cash.  Twenty hours a week would be perfect.  Willing to take a less pay, if the employer wants to pay me under the table.  Wink  I'm 77, still in pretty good shape.  Will be actively looking for something in 2012.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 61 years old laid of worker and now stay home with my handycapped husband. I would like a Partime job on the internet. I need a little more money to be able to pay for health insurance and have a little extra spending money. I am not on Wellfare or any other help. I do have a small retirement just need just little help for like unexpected problems that arise. I don't want a job that will cost me money up front. I know to be aware of them.

0 Kudos

I might consider a part time job if the right one comes along.  It's more to keep busy than money.   I have a law degree and used to be President of a company with strong communication and business skills.     Since I don't need money, the hours must be flexible.    I'm near the Sarasota area for about six months, November - May.     If I saw the right thing, I might be interested.   
0 Kudos

I would be interested in starting a home business using the internet 9Blogging, etc.) but don't know how to. Maybe there is someone out there who can help me (teach me) to get started... or even form a small group and work together. Any ideas?
Posted by vince4953

Try www.inmrc.com lot of information. To make money at it find a subject that turns you on. then google the subject like this 

racing cars+blogs  Study how the are manking money and how maney are not comerical. If you do it right you schould be able to make the dollar amount per subscriber. Depending on how well you monetize your efforts.

0 Kudos

any work at home jobs that are legit?
0 Kudos

Posted by mrslabel

I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO HEAR ABOUT HOW TO FIND LEGITIMATE HOME BASED BUSINESS WORK.  I'M 54 YRS. OLD AND HAVE OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE WORKING OUTSIDE THE HOME.  THANK YOU!
0 Kudos

(1) When I find myself going stir crazy I normally approach temp agencies. I have found Spherion to be the best and most receptive with the attitude that if you are not working and making money then they are not making money & (2) depending on your education, if you have a graduate degree there is always substitute teaching or most recently there are always openings on a regular basis from companies that tutor students in general education subjects, which after doing both is more my cup of tea unless you want to raise your BP then substitute teach for a semester. l-)
0 Kudos

I am at my wits end!  Have had several interview with Banks and they are looking for either a f/t/or p/t Teller for which I have many years of experience plus a college degree. Guess what?  nothing ever comes of these meetings, both the branch personnel and the recruiters never get back to you.  Age discrimination is alive and well and DEFINITEY flourishing in South Florida..  One Bank in particular, is a flagrant violator and we will meet in the EEOC chambers when my complaint is heard.
Posted by bigjer27

Until all of us "Oldsters" start doing what you're doing (EEOC) this will continue.  Age Discrimination has replaced Racial Discrimination as the #1 form of bigotry.  I've had to go to EEOC myself due to a similar type of flagrant abuse of the employment crisis.  Major companies are using our unemployment as an excuse to create another "Company Store" environment similar to what happened in the 1930's.  They know that we are desperate, and would rather us oldsters work at McDonald's for minimum wage, than pay us what we've earned from time in the field and work experience.  It's time to take back our jobs.  We've earned them.  We've made them (the corporations) rich, and we need to take back our money and our security.

Marty

I sub in my local school district.  It''s rewarding as I'm helping students as well as adding to my savings.

Same problems. You think you have a chance until you go for an interview and some 20 something young snit looks at you as if you were 200 years old and you know you don't have a chance.
0 Kudos

Like everyone else I am looking for a part-time job. It needs to be a computer job so that I can stay at home. I can not leave the house ever, because I need to care for my 91 year old mother, and she can never be left alone. I have seen many stay home jobs but they are scams, its hard to fine one thats honest. Any ideas?
Ana Alicia M Robles

Awhile back I saw a deal on net books bought with AARP discount for $99, and now I cannot locate it. Anybody have any idea where I saw it or where I can find a similar deal? One lady even bought three! Any help would be nice!
0 Kudos

I am seeking pt employment in a doctors office,i.e. making and confirming appts, answering the telephone. typing, etc. for approx 20 hrs a week. 
Contributor

I also would like to find a similar PT job or an online job as a virtual assistant. I do need the money badly.

0 Kudos

Consider Veternarians also. In my town, we have a lot of hearing aid clinics also and I am sure they need office workers as well.

0 Kudos

I'd love to find some type of internet job................I'm a 68 year old female who lives in Florida and I'm so bored staying at home.
I've applied for lots of jobs but nothing comes of it...........it's really frustrating.

I know I certainly can use the money what with health care and medication where they are now it's scarey, so just want something to enjoy and make a little cash would be great.
0 Kudos

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job?: I hear your pain and I'm sure there are a lot of others on here who have their own experiences with veiled discriminatory practices!  But what I found was that I could continue to beat myself up because job searching wasn't going anywhere or I could take what was happening and turn it around for myself and a lot of other folks.  I have a home based business and I am always looking for talent to partner up with.  I especially enjoy working with the more mature person and love helping others earn the level of income they are seeking.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to take a look at what I am doing.  You never know, it just might be the thing you have been looking for! 
Posted by bigjer27

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP