Know Someone Over 50 Making a Difference? Nominate Them for the AARP Purpose Prize

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 8

I'm dealing with significant age discrimination in my current workplace.  When  my mentor was promoted to a job that both she and I applied for, she got the job and a much younger colleague responded, "Wow, is that age discrimination?"  My company is big on diversity, they have groups for every type of person or personalty, except older workers.  I want to start a "diverse" group of older workers and I think I'll call it Experienced Professionals.  Any Advice?

Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 8

I have recently sold a small business and am searching for employment. I am a 54 year old female and sent a resume for a position in healthcare; I sent a one page resume instead of three page resume with last two employers with description/skills and the other 5 employers were listed below without descriptions. I removed the dates of employment as well as the year of my college graduation. I added a Career Summary instead of Objective, and it looked updated. I received a call from the company recruiter the next day (for a position that I did not apply for but was a better match) who said that he was very impressed with my background, and we talked for some time. He requested that I add dates to my employment and add more detail because this is required by the hiring managers. He was very positive and we talked three times within two days. I sent my lengthy resume with dates and two hours later, I received an email that stated, I was not being considered. It's hard to believe that it was not age discrimination. I have only begun my search; however, I'm feeling that the age issue will be a struggle.

Message 3 of 8

Hello, @StephenR946174.

If a recruiter is screening applicants based on age, that is age discrimination and the practice violates the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and possibly state law. The ADEA provides that it is “unlawful for an employment agency to fail or refuse to refer for employment, or otherwise to discriminate against, any individual because of such individual’s age, or to classify or refer for employment any individual on the basis of such individual’s age.” While high school graduation date is not the legal equivalent of age, if the recruiter is assuming a correlation between your graduation date and your age and screening you out based on that assumed correlation, that too is age discrimination. If you know the identity of the recruiter and want to file a charge of age discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency charged with enforcing the ADEA, go to https://www.eeoc.gov/ for more information. There are important time limitations for filing charges with the EEOC. They must be filed within 180 or 300 days of the alleged discriminatory action.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 8

Hello. I live in Tennessee and get calls from "employment" recruiters. They ask a brief survey And when they ask when I graduated high school and when I tell them 1972 they hang up. Is this discrimination? 

Message 5 of 8

Hello, @d584291e,

I am sorry to hear about the frustrations you have experienced in your job search. Unfortunately, you are not alone. Older workers face far longer periods of unemployment than younger workers.  Of course, it's hard to say whether age discrimination is behind what you’ve experienced -- because that is the nature of age discrimination in hiring. In most cases, the individual is not provided a reason for why they have not been considered for the position or who was hired instead of them. Without that information, it's impossible to determine if age may have been a factor.  However, if you encounter evidence of age discrimination in your job search, you can file a charge of age discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency that enforces the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). https://www.eeoc.gov/ AARP Foundation Litigation attorneys are challenging age discrimination in hiring in both our litigation cases and friend-of-the-court briefs. Addressing age discrimination in hiring was a key motivation underlying the passage of the ADEA fifty  years ago and more needs to be done to ensure that older applicants are treated fairly. I wish you success in your efforts to find work as a special education teacher.

Message 6 of 8

Good morning and welcome to the AARP Online Community!

Age Discrimination, is the second in a series of topics brought to you by AARP.

This is a great chance to connect with an AARP Work & Job experts.

Ask AARP Expert Laurie McCann (@LMcCann) your questions and share your stories here!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 8

Yes, I have experienced age discrimination.

I am a highly qualified special education teacher over the age of 50. I have been employed as a part time tutor for a local company for the last 7 years.

My real passion was always to become a special education resource classroom teacher or an in-class support teacher.  I have yet to be hired in a school district full time or part time. I have applied to many teaching jobs in  New Jersey.  I have had several interviews but no offers. I received rejection letters from those interviews and kept them all in a manilla folder. Discouraged by the constant reminder that I have not reached my full potential as a teacher, I shredded the rejection letters.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 8 of 8

Work-Jobs-Banner-02 (1).png

Have you experienced age discrimination? Laurie McCann is a Senior Attorney with AARP Foundation Litigation where her principal responsibilities include litigation and amicus curiae (impartial advisor) participation for AARP on a broad range of age discrimination and other employment issues.

Ask AARP Expert Laurie your questions about age discrimination, and share your experience.