AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

REMINDER

Message 1 of 11

Even when you "Reply" using the button within a particular post, there's no link to that original post when it shows up .. and your post may be meaningless, because people don't know what it's responding to.

So use the red "Quote" button, before you begin typing your response, and it will bring up the original post to which you're responding. You can edit out anything unnecessary, but leave just enough that people will know what you're talking about!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: 5 Ways Job Hunting Has Changed As a Result of Technology

Message 2 of 11
Do you men you did crowdfunding for your dog? Are you serious?
Super Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 11
Technology certainly has come to the forefront in job hunting. These days you do your resume on a computer instead of a typewriter.
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 11

You have too much time on your hands if you are worrying about trivial matters like these.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 11

I can say the most important thing about job hunting now is being techy savvy in as much capacity as you can figure out. Our local library and adult school both offer classes in different computer programs. Even the most basic jobs have online applications.

If you're serious about your job search you have to figure out modern technology and social media. And it can be done. I went from not even having a cell phone to knowledge I never imagined...for my dog. He needs knee replacement, something not in our budget.

But my love for my pup took me into the world of Facebook, crowd-funding, Twitter...and it's taking off from there. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 11

I got a new job in my field by doing extensive personal networking aided by LinkedIn.com, note, NOT by applying to jobs on Linkedin, but my making friends on LinkedIn and asking if they knew about  work. And my field, oil exploration, is in a depression now. LinkedIn is DA BOMB!

Sincerely,
Peter

Message 7 of 11
AARPLynne wrote:

@ASTRAEA: AARP changed its name in 2006 from the American Association of Retired Persons because the organization recognized that the name no longer accurately reflected its membership, many millions of whom were still in the workplace. The new name allows the organization much more flexibility in pursuing its mission, in much the same way that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed to KFC, which offers a lot more these days than just chicken and the American Automobile Association changed its name to AAA, which offers a lot more than just roadside assistance.

Please don't just guess at simple answers! The American Automobile Association was also known as AAA, from the time it was formed in 1904, and the names are still used interchangably.

According to Snopes, Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC, having nothing to do with selling foods other than fried chicken:

"The real reason behind the shift to KFC had nothing to do with healthy food or finicky consumers: it was about money — money that Kentucky Fried Chicken would have had to pay to continue using their original name. In 1990, the Commonwealth of Kentucky, mired in debt, took the unusual step of trademarking their name. Henceforth, anyone using the word "Kentucky" for business reasons — inside or outside of the state — would have to obtain permission and pay licensing fees to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It was an unusual and brilliant scheme to alleviate government debt, but it was also one that alienated one of the most famous companies ever associated with Kentucky. The venerable Kentucky Fried Chicken chain, a mainstay of American culture since its first franchise opened in Salt Lake City in 1952, refused as a matter of principle to pay royalties on a name they had been using for four decades. After a year of fruitless negotiations with the Kentucky state government, Kentucky Fried Chicken — unwilling to submit to "such a terrible injustice" — threw in the towel and changed their name instead, timing the announcement to coincide with the introduction of new packaging and products to obscure the real reasons behind the altering of their corporate name."

Message 8 of 11

@AARPLynne - So what do the letters A A R P stand for now?

Community Manager

Message 9 of 11

@ASTRAEA: AARP changed its name in 2006 from the American Association of Retired Persons because the organization recognized that the name no longer accurately reflected its membership, many millions of whom were still in the workplace. The new name allows the organization much more flexibility in pursuing its mission, in much the same way that Kentucky Fried Chicken changed to KFC, which offers a lot more these days than just chicken and the American Automobile Association changed its name to AAA, which offers a lot more than just roadside assistance.

Message 10 of 11

Doesn't AARP stand for American Association of RETIRED People?

So why did they expand their membership down to age 50 .. when most people are still working? And now the economy has kept people even above 62/65 in the work force. Why hasn't AARP revised its name, to be more accurate?